The most laughable/Stupid/Frightening thing a believer has said to you...?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-08-2014, 11:39 PM
RE: The most laughable/Stupid/Frightening thing a believer has said to you...?
So in my class tonight (Modern middle East) the instructor (first night of new semester by the way) was talking about israel etc, then he goes, I am going to make an assumption that evryone here is of faith right...he looks around the room as everyone dutifully nodded, he paused on a woman in the row in front of me who hadnt nodded and actually pointed at her..."ma'am? yes? no?" She quickly nodded her head and he moved on....for once, I was silent, because this is a favorite professor of my wife, sweet old man who has had quite an amazing life to be honest and I respect him enough, to give him the pass....then afterwards I was in an inner debate with myself, why didn't I do my usual, and assertively and respectfully say, "No I am an atheist" knowing I am surrounded by the delusional here at this christian university...but decided to default to being quiet.

He also opened with scripture regarding how the lord pointed to the sky and said your people will one day number as many as the stars or however the story goes, and I interjected there are 300 billion stars in this galaxy alone, there will never be 300 billion of them....he just looked at me over the glasses, and said he meant the number of stars they could see.....Facepalm I always enjoy how people just know what "god" meant.

So what do you think? pretty screwed up in my opinion, points a student out and puts her on the spot and question she if she has faith or not....sigh

EDIT: note that this isn't a theology class where that may be a question one could ask but I still feel it is inappropriate.

Oh the things that come out in college! I can relate.

This summer I took a pathophysiology class on-line and in the lecture about the endocrine system, the professor asked, on video, "What is the master of the pituitary gland?" I typed "hypothalamus" into the chat. Then he rambled how he does, repeating things for students, but saying, "From the pituitary up to the hypothalamus up to heaven, to God. Agree?" No one spoke or typed a thing. This class is not provided by a religious university. In my opinion, not only is there no reason for such religious talk in such a class but it was also poor behavior on the professor's part to try to solicit personal opinions from the students about it.

It is self-evident that I do not need religion or God to be a moral, happy, productive human being.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Imago's post
31-08-2014, 12:06 AM
(25-08-2014 05:46 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  When both of my daughters died from infantile tay-sachs disease 3 months apart at the ages of 15 months and 5 months.....and the good reverend said, "god needed his angels back, he brought them home so he could bring you closer to him".. Facepalm

Then when my wife at the time thereafter successfully committed suicide on her third attempt in 2 weeks the good reverend said, "she is at peace now, remember god doesn't give you more than you can handle, he must have great plans for you."

Facepalm

Yeah. F you.

OMG.....

No Words I have no words.

(Lame internet hug)

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
31-08-2014, 02:21 AM
"I stated that the world was turning a blind eye to the persecution of thousands of Christians in the Middle East of which said persecution is predicted in the bible. Now you turn around and list as one of your requirements that the prophecy must have been written before the event when we've been alluding to current events in the Middle East? You see...this is what happens when you pull your talking points from skeptics' sites. The blind leading the blind syndrome unfolds before our very eyes."

Facepalm Emphasis mine.

Sapere aude
31-08-2014, 02:57 PM
(30-08-2014 02:52 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  But does that take into account that what may appear to be a single spec of light, a single 'star', may actually be another billion star strong galaxy? Consider

When the scriptures were written, I doubt that people were aware of galaxies. Genesis speaks of lights and stars, not galaxies. But we only need a few of the stars to be billion star galaxies for the problem alluded to by GWG to come into play. Google suggests that we can basically only see stars in our Milky Way galaxy. If you have very good eyesight, you might be able to see Andromeda. How many stars does Andromeda have? Apparently, a trillion.

But your question was very good. Made me think.
31-08-2014, 06:22 PM
Student: "You are going to hell"

Me: "Are Muslims going too?"

Student: "Yes"

Me: "Are Hindus going too?"

Student: "Yes"

Me: "Are Sikhs going as well?"

Student "Yes"

Me: "Well, there'll be some good food there then"
[+] 7 users Like Rev Dr. T Dwayne Killebrew III's post
31-08-2014, 07:11 PM
(25-08-2014 09:58 AM)Rev Dr. T Dwayne Killebrew III Wrote:  This was told to me in an institution of higher education. Yes, really.

What institution of higher education? You need to be more specific here.
01-09-2014, 03:31 AM
(27-08-2014 07:11 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  So in my class tonight (Modern middle East) the instructor (first night of new semester by the way) was talking about israel etc, then he goes, I am going to make an assumption that evryone here is of faith right...he looks around the room as everyone dutifully nodded, he paused on a woman in the row in front of me who hadnt nodded and actually pointed at her..."ma'am? yes? no?" She quickly nodded her head and he moved on....for once, I was silent, because this is a favorite professor of my wife, sweet old man who has had quite an amazing life to be honest and I respect him enough, to give him the pass....then afterwards I was in an inner debate with myself, why didn't I do my usual, and assertively and respectfully say, "No I am an atheist" knowing I am surrounded by the delusional here at this christian university...but decided to default to being quiet.

He also opened with scripture regarding how the lord pointed to the sky and said your people will one day number as many as the stars or however the story goes, and I interjected there are 300 billion stars in this galaxy alone, there will never be 300 billion of them....he just looked at me over the glasses, and said he meant the number of stars they could see.....Facepalm I always enjoy how people just know what "god" meant.

So what do you think? pretty screwed up in my opinion, points a student out and puts her on the spot and question she if she has faith or not....sigh

EDIT: note that this isn't a theology class where that may be a question one could ask but I still feel it is inappropriate.

What we have here is a Christian counterpart of Professor Radisson in the movie God's Not Dead. Both Radisson and your instructor are in violation of federal law. Any educational institution which receives federal funding must follow the government's rules regarding separation of church and state. That includes all state colleges and universities and almost all private colleges and universities. For the purposes of this rule "federal funding" includes admitting students who accept Pell Grants from the government or who receive government backed student loans. As far as I know only one college has gotten around this rule by adopting a policy of not accepting any federal money.

The rules swing both ways. Raddison cannot force a student to sign a "God Is Dead" statement as a condition of getting a passing grade. Your instructor cannot demand a statement of faith before the entire class, even if it's not a condition for a passing grade, because it's simply nobody's business. It's a violation of privacy.

In a similar situation I would go to the school administrators (Dean, Provost, President, whatever) and demand that the teacher be informed he cannot conduct his class in this manner. Furthermore, if the teacher knew of my beliefs, I would maintain that he has demonstrated a prejudice toward me and demand that either he be replaced or that my performance in the class be determined by an unbiased third party. If I did not get satisfaction from the school administrators I would return with a lawyer.

If the whole thing wound up in court there are entities such as the ACLU and American Atheists who might fund the legal costs.

Sapere aude
01-09-2014, 06:47 AM
Being asked "Why do I hate god" or "why I am angry with god"

Those questions usually induce rage
[+] 1 user Likes TheStraightener's post
01-09-2014, 09:25 AM
Not a specific quote but when a religi-nut says that some bit of scientific evidence is the Devil or even God deceiving us.
01-09-2014, 01:32 PM
(01-09-2014 06:47 AM)TheStraightener Wrote:  Being asked "Why do I hate god" or "why I am angry with god"

Those questions usually induce rage

It induces rage because you know it's true. You hate being told that you believe in God because you know you can't deny it.

Truth seeker.