The most superstitious things I've ever heard.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-01-2016, 02:34 AM
Superstitious beliefs are common among a lot of the older women in my deeply religious family. here are two of the most superstitious things I've ever heard of from my family and relatives.

Back in 2011, during the earthquake in Japan and the following Fukushima nuclear crisis, I was at the dinner table with my mom, dad, and my brother and we were talking about the situation in Japan over dinner. We were talking about the damage. And I remember explaining to my parents how earthquakes work. I was explaining about tectonic plate movements and stuff like that and how it caused so much damage to Fukushima reactors. And all of the sudden, my mom just interjected and SNAPPED!!! And she said "THAT'S NONSENSE! GOD WOULD HAVE PREVENTED THAT EARTHQUAKE IF ONLY JAPAN WAS CHRISTIAN NATION!!!" in Korean. And I was completely speechless because not only did she just call science "Nonsense!". She also made her God look like a complete asshole. He wants to punish a bunch of innocent people for not kissing his ass? Luckily, this god does not exist!

Another time, my aunt was supposed to come over to our house. for a visit. But for some reason, she would not arrive. She was late and we were waiting for her. So we called her and asked, "Where are you?"

Her reply, "Actually, I don't think I should be going to your house right now so I'm going back home. Is everything okay?"

And I said back to her, "Yeah, everything fine. We're waiting for you. Why are you going back home?"

And she explained, "Well, I saw a stop sign in the middle of the road. And my feeling tells me it's a sign from God. Like he's warning me about something"

When I heard what she just said, I was like Facepalm FACEPALM!!! (She was referring to the stop sign by the closest intersection to my home's driveway.) And in my head, I was like "YOU DITZ!!! That stop sign has always been there because there's a fucking intersection!!!" And I just cracked up! Laugh out load

Heart War Angel Sylia
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Sylia Gray's post
09-01-2016, 06:51 AM
RE: The most superstitious things I've ever heard.
Yeah but if see sees signs and portents everywhere she only has to be right once to confirm her belief. Count the hits, ignore the misses.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
Find all posts by this user
09-01-2016, 07:09 AM
Yep, when my religious friend's car would not start, she said she wasn't going to try to leave because god was telling her to stay home. Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
09-01-2016, 09:16 AM
Years ago I used to work at the front desk of a 110 room hotel.

I remember trying to check-in a guest that refused to stay in any room that had a 9 in the number or where the total of the numbers added up to 9 (e.g. 333) because it was "bad luck". It wasn't as easy a task as you would think (especially with the hotel being about 70% full at the time).

But that's not even as nuts as a few years previous to that when the hotel had been sold to a new owner that changed all the room numbers in the hotel to remove all the 13's in the room numbers so we had rooms going from 112 to 114, 312 to 314 etc..
Must have cost him a few grand to reprogram the phone & booking system and the renumbering all the rooms etc... to accommodate that superstition!

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 1 user Likes unsapien's post
09-01-2016, 09:30 AM
Yeah. Superstition is nutty. I have a neighbor who thinks that if you eat a cracker you actually eating some guys body who died many years ago. Facepalm

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
09-01-2016, 09:41 AM
I used to be superstitious a long time ago. I would not walk under latter because I thought something bad would happen. I got over that by walking under a latter lol. Nothing bad happen. But that is crazy about the stop signs. Stop signs are there to tell you to stop and look both ways lol
[+] 2 users Like musicharmony87's post
10-01-2016, 06:30 AM
(09-01-2016 09:16 AM)unsapien Wrote:  Years ago I used to work at the front desk of a 110 room hotel.

I remember trying to check-in a guest that refused to stay in any room that had a 9 in the number or where the total of the numbers added up to 9 (e.g. 333) because it was "bad luck". It wasn't as easy a task as you would think (especially with the hotel being about 70% full at the time).

But that's not even as nuts as a few years previous to that when the hotel had been sold to a new owner that changed all the room numbers in the hotel to remove all the 13's in the room numbers so we had rooms going from 112 to 114, 312 to 314 etc..
Must have cost him a few grand to reprogram the phone & booking system and the renumbering all the rooms etc... to accommodate that superstition!

My building (the one in which I live; I don't own it) has two 13s... 13 and 13A.

Also, 3 and 3A, 23 and 23A.

For obvious reasons.

Rolleyes

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
10-01-2016, 03:36 PM
I got caught in a thunderstorm on my way to work once on my motorcycle - and had to pull over and take shelter under the eaves of a pole barn.... It got hit by lightning -- and knocked me out cold......

I got to work late, and explained what happened.........

About half the people there said "You should get a lottery ticket today!"

HUH??? I nearly got killed -- does it sound like I'm having a GOOD day???????

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
10-01-2016, 03:41 PM
(10-01-2016 03:36 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I got caught in a thunderstorm on my way to work once on my motorcycle - and had to pull over and take shelter under the eaves of a pole barn.... It got hit by lightning -- and knocked me out cold......

I got to work late, and explained what happened.........

About half the people there said "You should get a lottery ticket today!"

HUH??? I nearly got killed -- does it sound like I'm having a GOOD day???????

Could see it both ways, got struck by lightning and lived to tell about it is pretty lucky.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
10-01-2016, 04:16 PM
My mother believes in some kind of astrology, and one time she suggested my computer issue was due to "Mercury in retrograde". I couldn't believe it either.

[+] 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post