The myth of the teen brain

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-02-2011, 11:02 AM
The myth of the teen brain
I thought this was a pretty interesting article. It's a little long but not too bad.

We blame
teen turmoil
on immature
brains. But
did the brains
cause the
turmoil, or did
the turmoil
shape the brains?

http://drrobertepstein.com/pdf/Epstein-T...d-4-07.pdf

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-02-2011, 12:09 AM
RE: The myth of the teen brain
Excellent article. Great brain-food. As a guitar teacher this will definitely be helpful. I already treat my teenage students as adults, now I have confidence that I am doing things right and can tweak my technique for the better of all my students. Thank-you.
Big Grin

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
20-02-2011, 06:52 PM
Glad you liked it. Smile

It actually opened my eyes some. I had honestly just never even thought about a lot of this stuff before. All of a sudden a lot of things strike me as really stupid. I've always sort of felt like adults aren't doing young people any favors by treating them like little babies for so long, but never put much thought into why, or that it could be different.

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
21-02-2011, 01:07 AM
I had seen a show about elephants in a certain park in Africa where the young male elephants where going on rampages and doing excessive damages by elephant standards. The reason turned out to be the fact that older male elephants had been killed for their tusks and the young males had no mentors to model their behavior on. It sounds ominously similar to the subject of this thread.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
21-02-2011, 03:56 AM
(21-02-2011 01:07 AM)No J. Wrote:  I had seen a show about elephants in a certain park in Africa where the young male elephants where going on rampages and doing excessive damages by elephant standards. The reason turned out to be the fact that older male elephants had been killed for their tusks and the young males had no mentors to model their behavior on. It sounds ominously similar to the subject of this thread.

You mean the elephants that rampage villages, find their booze supplies, drink the booze and then go on a drunken rampage? Yea, sounds very similar. Smile
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/dec...page-india

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
21-02-2011, 06:34 PM
No. That is a different story from the one I refered to. There was no alcohol in the other story. It was in Africa, your story is in India. I don't think any people were killed in my story but at least one hippo was.

22-02-2011, 07:23 AM
(21-02-2011 06:34 PM)No J. Wrote:  No. That is a different story from the one I refered to. There was no alcohol in the other story. It was in Africa, your story is in India. I don't think any people were killed in my story but at least one hippo was.

I didn't remember it was from India, I just grabbed the first link google gave me to have something to cite.

It would be interesting to see how those rampaging (African) elephants affect the next generation.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.