The need for Darwinism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-04-2015, 12:47 PM
RE: The need for Darwinism
(14-04-2015 06:11 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  Perhaps we could speed things up even more with different signs.

"Do try to board this train while it's moving."

"Walk really close to the edge of the cliff."

"Remember, when you've finished your drink, smash your glass on the counter and slice your neck open with it."

Those incredibly high ledges with no safety railing in the Death Star make sense now, so that's what they were up to:

[Image: DS1coreObi1.png]

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-04-2015, 04:32 PM
(14-04-2015 10:56 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  Hmm, in principal, I kind of get the whole survival of the fittest thing (overpopulation and lack of resources and all). But that being said, I could see myself hopping on a train if it was moving less than 5mph, NOT within 10 seconds of approaching a wall, and had large doors open. That is if I knew it was an allowable action (stupid to risk being fined). In those circumstances I am confident I could board without a significant chance of threatening my life. Of course if the train is rapidly accelerating, or the doors have the ability to close while a person is in mid jump that changes things.

And YOU are the reason they have that sign lmao
15-04-2015, 04:45 PM
(15-04-2015 04:32 PM)purpledaisies Wrote:  
(14-04-2015 10:56 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  Hmm, in principal, I kind of get the whole survival of the fittest thing (overpopulation and lack of resources and all). But that being said, I could see myself hopping on a train if it was moving less than 5mph, NOT within 10 seconds of approaching a wall, and had large doors open. That is if I knew it was an allowable action (stupid to risk being fined). In those circumstances I am confident I could board without a significant chance of threatening my life. Of course if the train is rapidly accelerating, or the doors have the ability to close while a person is in mid jump that changes things.

And YOU are the reason they have that sign lmao
Didn't hopping on moving trolleys/cable cars used to be "a thing"? My point is, there are some conditions where such an action is not that dangerous. But there are many conditions where the action can be very dangerous. Better to be safe than sued.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
15-04-2015, 04:59 PM
You guys are a bunch of pussies.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
15-04-2015, 06:17 PM
Not a moving train but it was a moving vehicle:

I once took care of a meth head that jumped out of a car at 70 mph - he had an occipital skull fracture, and was somehow still conscious. I tied him to the bed with locking restraints - that motherfucker was craaaazy. Darwin fail right there.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
15-04-2015, 06:58 PM
My husband and I bought one of those big yellow rubber rafts (about 8 ft long) that you blow up with an air pump.

One of the warnings on the side of the boat said "Not for human consumption".

Dammit! And my husband and I were anticipating a nice dinner of rubber raft. Drooling

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
15-04-2015, 07:39 PM
Re: The need for Darwinism
I had a baby stroller with several caution tags on it. One of them said "Do not fold stroller with baby inside" and had a lovely, detailed illustration of that.
15-04-2015, 08:00 PM
(15-04-2015 07:39 PM)mecanna Wrote:  I had a baby stroller with several caution tags on it. One of them said "Do not fold stroller with baby inside" and had a lovely, detailed illustration of that.

But it makes it easier to put them in the overhead compartment that way!
Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
16-04-2015, 04:02 AM
I'm all for warning labels that keep stupid people from hurting others. It's the self help labels I'd dump.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
26-01-2016, 08:47 PM
So, new train sign made me resurrect this thread. My train home has signs on it that say - I shit you not - "when you see tracks, think train" followed by an explanation that If you walk on train tracks you could, just maybe, be hit by a fucking train.

I'm glad they cleared that up.

There's a good Bugs Bunny reference to be had here but I don't want to waste data looking it up.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost