The "need" for religion.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-07-2014, 08:21 PM
The "need" for religion.
I have never stood why alot of people have such a strong desire to believe in something supernatural. I never felt a need to believe in something even when I was very young. So what is the deal? Why does religion have such control over people.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-07-2014, 08:34 PM
RE: The "need" for religion.
Fear of death

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
10-07-2014, 08:44 PM
A direct quote from my former sibling, referring to the church:

"I have never met so many single women....."

Religion fulfills a different need for different people. Loneliness is a big one.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
10-07-2014, 08:51 PM
People are afraid...

Listen to 'Dark Side of The Moon' by Pink Floyd.

All the shit that does your head in... life, death, ageing, the future, work, money, sex, violence, inequality, wasted opportunity, wasted time, unfulfilled potential.

Religion is snake oil that claims to make all that shit go away... In reality it just takes it off your mind.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Sam's post
10-07-2014, 09:31 PM
So it's like taking drugs I guess.
10-07-2014, 09:38 PM
(10-07-2014 08:21 PM)john2 Wrote:  I have never stood why alot of people have such a strong desire to believe in something supernatural. I never felt a need to believe in something even when I was very young. So what is the deal? Why does religion have such control over people.

Indoctrination plays a huge part. Nobody wants to consider the notion that something that they have been brought up to believe in their entire life is bullshit.

It goes deeper than that though. A lot of people give up the really religious crap, but still want to be "spiritual" and say "I still want to believe in SOMETHING!" Humans just seem to have this need to have an answer for everything. They don't want to admit that there are things that they don't have answers to. People fear what they don't understand, and slapping a label of "God did it!" (or some general supernatural force, for those that don't follow a certain religion) on anything they can't explain gives them their "explanation".

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
[+] 3 users Like WindyCityJazz's post
10-07-2014, 10:01 PM
(10-07-2014 08:34 PM)CiderThinker Wrote:  Fear of death

Having been a former theist the fear of death was nil. I used to be all into Dharmic Hindu stuff. To a Hindu when you die you die. Sure some Hindus assert samsara but they believe the ultimate reward is lack of self. This is the central concept of Nirvana in Buddhism. Dharmic religions are funny in that the adherents can't wait to stop existing. Atheists of course are not like this although I sure as hell am Big Grin. The thought of having no worries, no troubles and ceasing to exist is like being in eternal sleep. No me, no annoying people, no sadness, and no sorrow.

Crazy you say?
Wouldn't a crazy man ask another man if he was crazy?! Hobo
10-07-2014, 10:13 PM
(10-07-2014 09:31 PM)john2 Wrote:  So it's like taking drugs I guess.

Some people like to view religion as a disease, or a mental illness... I prefer to look at it like a drug.

Treats the symptoms, not the cause. Low doses now and then may be harmless and help relieve stress, but high doses and long term use causes more harm than good, both to the user, and those around him/her.

Religion, in mild forms and taken in moderation can help people through life with little or no ill effects on the believer or those around him/her.

But religion in strong doses, taken often over a long period of time can be very destructive.

Perhaps (and this is purely speculative), religion is more like a drug than mere metaphors... Perhaps the extremely devout are endorphin junkies. Certainly something odd happens to the brain chemistry during an intense religious experience... All that speaking in tongues and writhing about. The only things I can think of which can induce a similar effect, at will, are powerful hallucinogenic drugs.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-07-2014, 11:25 PM
(10-07-2014 10:01 PM)Mr. Slave Wrote:  
(10-07-2014 08:34 PM)CiderThinker Wrote:  Fear of death

Having been a former theist the fear of death was nil. I used to be all into Dharmic Hindu stuff. To a Hindu when you die you die. Sure some Hindus assert samsara but they believe the ultimate reward is lack of self. This is the central concept of Nirvana in Buddhism. Dharmic religions are funny in that the adherents can't wait to stop existing. Atheists of course are not like this although I sure as hell am Big Grin. The thought of having no worries, no troubles and ceasing to exist is like being in eternal sleep. No me, no annoying people, no sadness, and no sorrow.

Yeah that scares the shit out of me. I wanted to believe for a long time because I really wished there was an after life. I have been reflecting on this a lot recently (offtopic). I think is probably has something to do with the way I see the world, an "ego first" perspective maybe. I guess at some fundamental level I must place myself at the center of the universe or something Undecided . Sounds ridiculous. Can't change who you are though!

I think Sam is right, it is different things for different people. Fear certainly seems to the the principle motivator.
11-07-2014, 10:53 AM
When you are raised from birth by believers, they tell you at the earliest opportunities that there is a god you can turn to. So, from very early in life, when you have any kind of need, you learn to pray to god for help. Eventually, it becomes automatic to do so and, the bigger the need, the more likely you are to pray about it. If you aren't brought up with religion, then you learn to handle those needs more productively right from the beginning. Thus, turning to a god, makes little sense.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post