The "need" for religion.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-07-2014, 10:57 AM
RE: The "need" for religion.
In my experience and from my observations, religion is embraced by many different types of people for many different reasons. let’s look at a few categories shall we?

1) They were brought up in a religious atmosphere/family so it is ingrained in their way of life, and they have either fully embraced it because to not do so would get one ostracized from their family, friends, community, OR they are too scared to think otherwise because unholy thoughts are the devil's work.

2) They are elderly, and the elderly are naturally scared of their inevitable demise and turn to the church for comfort. The church LOVES this as they are the bread and butter of the offering plates...fear is a great industry in america.

3) They are simply gullible..ever heard the old adage, the stupid and their money are soon parted?...yeah, kind of goes along with that.

4) They are uneducated, and do not know any better, because they get their belief system from reverend johnson who cherry picks phrases out the bible to drive home his agenda that day...the faithful wave the bible and yet few have actually read it.

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” - Christopher Hitchens
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-07-2014, 11:07 AM
I think the number one need religion fills is the need for answers and certainty. Religion provides answers and certainty, and for this role it doesn't even need to provide true answers. All that matters is having an answer.

Thats why more educated people are generally less religious.

Humans in general fear the unknown. I'd say for allot of religious people the foundation of their belief is based on fear of some kind. It was for me back in the day.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
11-07-2014, 11:25 AM
(10-07-2014 08:21 PM)john2 Wrote:  I have never stood why alot of people have such a strong desire to believe in something supernatural. I never felt a need to believe in something even when I was very young. So what is the deal? Why does religion have such control over people.

There are many reasons but they all boil down to a desire to escape from the constraints of reality in my opinion.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
11-07-2014, 04:21 PM
(10-07-2014 09:38 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  
(10-07-2014 08:21 PM)john2 Wrote:  I have never stood why alot of people have such a strong desire to believe in something supernatural. I never felt a need to believe in something even when I was very young. So what is the deal? Why does religion have such control over people.

Indoctrination plays a huge part. Nobody wants to consider the notion that something that they have been brought up to believe in their entire life is bullshit.

I feel like that's what took me so long to realize what shit the entire concept was. I realized pretty young but still.... took way too long lol. They raise you that way, so you're just thinking, "There's no way it's all a lie, right?"

And that's when I remembered Santa Claus and how pissed off I was when I found out he was a lie. To think, it was my parents getting me shitty gifts that whole time.

I feel like theists spend so much time praying for a better life after death, they don't fully appreciate or enjoy the one they have now.
11-07-2014, 04:26 PM
(10-07-2014 10:01 PM)Mr. Slave Wrote:  
(10-07-2014 08:34 PM)CiderThinker Wrote:  Fear of death

Having been a former theist the fear of death was nil. I used to be all into Dharmic Hindu stuff. To a Hindu when you die you die. Sure some Hindus assert samsara but they believe the ultimate reward is lack of self. This is the central concept of Nirvana in Buddhism. Dharmic religions are funny in that the adherents can't wait to stop existing. Atheists of course are not like this although I sure as hell am Big Grin. The thought of having no worries, no troubles and ceasing to exist is like being in eternal sleep. No me, no annoying people, no sadness, and no sorrow.

I meant more in the sense that people fear death and thus create a mythology which grants them eternal existence. I guess a more accurate phrase may be 'not being able to get your head around death as a concept' - but that doesn't really trip off the tongue...

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
11-07-2014, 04:57 PM
(10-07-2014 10:13 PM)Sam Wrote:  
(10-07-2014 09:31 PM)john2 Wrote:  So it's like taking drugs I guess.

Some people like to view religion as a disease, or a mental illness... I prefer to look at it like a drug.

They don't realize they are in the placebo control group.

(10-07-2014 10:13 PM)Sam Wrote:  The only things I can think of which can induce a similar effect, at will, are powerful hallucinogenic drugs.

Girly is most certainly not in the placebo control group. Big Grin

Breathing - it's more art than science.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
12-07-2014, 10:50 AM
Respectfully, you have just conflated religion with supernatural. As such you have asked two different questions. I think what you mean to ask is why is there superstition? Or, why is there a need to fill the unknown with imaginary answers?

I believe it is to dissuade fear of the unknown for some. For others it is a handed down belief. We all desire to know, and logical questions need logical answers. There is an unfathomable distance between the known and unknown. Imagination is sometimes a product of ignorance.
12-07-2014, 11:00 AM
(12-07-2014 10:50 AM)childeye Wrote:  
Respectfully, you have just conflated religion with supernatural. As such you have asked two different questions. I think what you mean to ask is why is there superstition? Or, why is there a need to fill the unknown with imaginary answers?

I believe it is to dissuade fear of the unknown for some. For others it is a handed down belief. We all desire to know, and logical questions need logical answers. There is an unfathomable distance between the known and unknown. Imagination is sometimes a product of ignorance.

Respectfully you seek to divorce religion from it's true nature and then bring all of it's component parts in through a backdoor. Religion is belief in supernatural.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense

[Image: Hitchhikersguide_zps7678fbae.jpg]
12-07-2014, 11:33 AM
(12-07-2014 11:00 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(12-07-2014 10:50 AM)childeye Wrote:  Respectfully, you have just conflated religion with supernatural. As such you have asked two different questions. I think what you mean to ask is why is there superstition? Or, why is there a need to fill the unknown with imaginary answers?

Respectfully you seek to divorce religion from it's true nature and then bring all of it's component parts in through a backdoor. Religion is belief in supernatural.
I agree the term religion can be a belief founded on what can be construed as supernatural. My intent is clarity for the sake of proper understanding. You can question that intent if you must.