The new smoking laws (death cards) and government involvement

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-11-2010, 01:17 PM
The new smoking laws (death cards) and government involvement
Here's the scoop:

http://gawker.com/5686426/your-12-pack-o...e-pictures

Cigarettes will now come with somewhat graphic pictures of such things as people with holes in their throats, mothers blowing smoke into the face of a baby, corpses, and lungs of a smoker.

As a libertarian, I always cringe when the government steps in to save us from ourselves, aka drug and fast food laws. And while technically this isn't physically preventing people from their right to choose, it's still government involvement in personal freedoms. What's next? After buying cigarettes, will the cashier be lawfully required to mock you and wish you a happy funeral?

An article in a local newspaper had a good idea. In the style of McDonalds and their monopoly game, smokers should try and collect all the pictures, then send them in to be entered into a raffle to win prizes. Sort of a giant middle finger to the government.

-I don't smoke, I just don't like regulations

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-11-2010, 03:14 PM
RE: The new smoking laws (death cards) and government involvement
We've had this for some time now here in Canada. It really is a joke. Like you said, it's just government trying to save us from ourselves.

Just visiting.

-SR
16-11-2010, 04:03 PM

(16-11-2010 03:14 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  We've had this for some time now here in Canada. It really is a joke. Like you said, it's just government trying to save us from ourselves.

At a very hefty tax hike, at that. And all the while government and the FDA knew full well what the dangers were in cigarettes, when they first came onto the market. Now, they're capitalizing on them by raising taxes, passing laws to prohibit where they can be smoked. It's the new prohibition.
And we know how well that worked for alcohol. That other addictive drug.
Quote this message in a reply
16-11-2010, 08:42 PM
I'm not a big fan of regulation or the nanny state myself, but given that smoking is directly impacting the cost of health care for everyone, I'm ok with taxing it and making it cost prohibitive as well as scaring people into not doing it.

I'm no fan of the government at all but I'm even less of a fan of tobacco companies.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
16-11-2010, 10:59 PM (This post was last modified: 16-11-2010 11:03 PM by Mindprowler.)
Yup, this has been the case in Canada since 2000 I believe.
The US version is almost funny. SMOKING CAN KILL YOU!

Ours are a bit more explanatory than just telling you that you're gonna die.
More gruesome as well I guess.

[Image: 06_0024.jpg]

I remember seeing these around the house all throughout
my childhood (my mother smoked for 25 years, quit 3 years ago)
and being totally freaked out. The stroke one really scared me.

Well, it worked I guess, I don't smoke.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MindprowlerMusic
17-11-2010, 02:54 AM
As someone who has developed an allergy to cigarette smoke, am totally in favor of all means to keep people from forcing me to inhale their second hand smoke, because they have the freedom to inflict their poisons on me. Do they politely make sure that they are only among other smokers and far enough form everyone else so their smoke isn't infringing on other people? ALMOST NEVER. Everyone who lights a cigarette without confirming that the smoke will not reach or bother anyone else who doesn't want to be affected, is stepping on someone elses freedoms. They don't care about my freedoms. I don't care about theirs. They also should not be allowed to spend taxpayers money for their tobacco induced health problems. They knowingly took that risk, I don't feel that I should have to pay for it.
PS. I don't see this as saving them from themselves, I see it as saving my health from their pollution.
17-11-2010, 07:00 PM
In Britain most of the packets I see have a picture of black lungs and Spanish writing underneath. I would assume this is because the duty tax is so ridiculously high that people just get their cigarettes smuggled in.

:3

Jesus Jumping Christ on a traction engine wearing a kilt and eating a marmite sandwich!!!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-11-2010, 01:57 PM

Everyone basically knows that cigarettes can kill you already. The people who smoke them don't care. Propaganda isn't going to convince them of anything if they are already addicted. Just ban all smoking outside of private property and let these people slowly die.
Quote this message in a reply
19-11-2010, 03:02 PM
I've always said that to get people to stop smoking, you have to make it less trendy. Movies and icons have given it this 'cool' stigma. I say in order to smoke, you have to put on this giant hat similar to the 'mind reading' hat in Back to the Future. Then you have to twist what looks like a pepper shaker device and suck out of a hollow plastic carrot.

While this won't deter those that actually are addicted to nicotine, it will certainly stop any new smokers from picking up this trendy habit.

[Image: 393493823.jpg]

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
19-11-2010, 03:21 PM
I don't see why people should have to stop smoking anyway.

All the "death stick" stuff in blown completely out of proportion. Lots of people in my family have had cancer, only one of them was a smoker.

Jesus Jumping Christ on a traction engine wearing a kilt and eating a marmite sandwich!!!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user