The new zodiac

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-01-2011, 03:28 PM
The new zodiac
I don't know if a topic has already been started on this but all over facebook people are talking about how they have a new zodiac sign. I did some research and found out that recently all signs have been bumped up a month. I was an Aries but now I am a Pisces. So I guess I am a different person now and should freak out over it.

No, wait I am an atheist. I don't even pay attention to that stuff! I only looked at it today out of curiousity. I share similarities and differences to all signs, and I am sure that goes for everyone else. Some more than others, but again this is all just a for fun thing. I even did a horoscope on some website and it said my wife is going to have the name Jennifer. I had a girlfriend by that name but she cheated on me. I guess it was the wrong one.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-01-2011, 04:00 PM
RE: The new zodiac
A lot of horoscopes use a trick. They say stuff that is present in all human being to some extent, and something that a person will happily agree with. Something like "You are cunning and loyal." Well, all humans to cunning to an extent(it's our intelligence that separates us from the animals), and I don't think a lot of people take pride in being dim witted. Most would identify themselves as being cunning, despite even if they are less-than average. And loyal, we as humans work in groups. Loyalty has been breed into us for a long time now.

I hear a professor did a trick. He gave all his students their horoscope, each according to their zodiac sign. He made sure that they didn't exchange horoscopes, and asked with everyone felt that their sign describe them. They all agreed. Turns out he gave all the students the same horoscope, just with different signs.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
14-01-2011, 04:47 PM
Actually some discussion is already going on in this thread: http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...250&page=1 but yeah, my facebook is getting inundated with stuff about this. It's a shame that this stuff is "relevant news." Half my facebook friends cite it as crap (the zodiac all together, not just the recent change), several others are like "oh no I'm a Taurus now LOL" and others are seriously looking in to it and trying to figure things out.

I have one in particular who is pointing to articles that point out that this all only affects eastern astrology, so we're all the same sign we were unless we're going to start following a different type of astrology.

I'm like, it's all crap, so who cares?

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
14-01-2011, 05:54 PM
To me "what sign are you" is nothing more than a conversation piece. It gives someone an excuse to make contact or engage another. Everybody has a sign the same way as everybody has a month of birth. If you as "who is you favorite NASCAR driver?" you will only start off on a good note with a racing fan. I don't start conversations by asking about someone's sign, but if someone asks me, I will talk to them.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
14-01-2011, 06:07 PM
I used to be right into that stuff when I was a pagan. I mean, I used to REALLY be into doing charts in detail etc. Some people devote their whole lives to it. But then I realized that all of it could really apply to anyone. It's just a bunch of hooey, but it is fun hooey when you are doing it!
14-01-2011, 06:29 PM

I don't believe in it at all, but it's entertaining. My roommates and I used to read the horoscope section at the end of magazines just for fun, but none of us took it seriously. Honestly, when I first moved to Canada, I thought the horoscopes were a 'just for fun' page included beside the joke section in newspaper. I was shocked when I heard about people reading them on a regular basis and actually believing in them. I don't think the planets would take a personal interest in our lives, but try convincing the crazies lol
Quote this message in a reply