The news is dead.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-07-2017, 07:28 PM
The news is dead.
Watch this video. Bill Maher hits this right on the head. The news is very broken. The News is dead
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-08-2017, 02:32 PM
RE: The news is dead.
(31-07-2017 07:28 PM)YourADhere Wrote:  Watch this video. Bill Maher hits this right on the head. The news is very broken. The News is dead

I lost what respect I had for Bill Maher when I heard him ranting against vaccines.
An anti-science loon is an anti-science loon, whether he's on the right or the left.

That said, he's right about the news and fluff; true on the radio as well.
But it's been like that for maybe two decades.
I guess it's nice that somebody finally noticed.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 5 users Like Dr H's post
01-08-2017, 03:26 PM
(31-07-2017 07:28 PM)YourADhere Wrote:  The news is very broken.

The existence of lies doesn't disprove the existence of facts.
02-08-2017, 12:25 PM
(01-08-2017 02:32 PM)Dr H Wrote:  I lost what respect I had for Bill Maher when I heard him ranting against vaccines.
An anti-science loon is an anti-science loon, whether he's on the right or the left...

Yep... his anti-science and pro-complementary medicine stances are way left of centre. I like the droll way he delivers his stuff—he certainly works the media exceptionally well—but like you I oftentimes question his opinions about... well... shit in general.

Anybody who's got a high media profile has an inherent responsibility to ensure the bullshit they preach is at least honest bullshit—if that's not a contradiction in terms, but you know what I mean. And anti-vaxxers like Maher preach the smelliest, most dishonest bullshit out there.

Although, having said that about Maher, Oprah Winfrey has spread a lot of bovine poop around the paddock during the last couple of decades. Think of parapsychologist [sic ] Dean Radin, CAM quack Mehmet Oz, Playboy bunny Jenny McCarthy, faith healer John of God, psychic medium John Edward, et al.

Winfrey was probably one of the greatest disseminators of misinformation, outright lies, and willful deception the TV medium's ever known.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
02-08-2017, 01:38 PM
(01-08-2017 03:26 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(31-07-2017 07:28 PM)YourADhere Wrote:  The news is very broken.

The existence of lies doesn't disprove the existence of facts.

wut

More Min Gee Ziss
[Image: giphy.gif]
02-08-2017, 03:04 PM
Bill is right but there are only two predictions I know of that have come true.

One was in 1920 when H.L. Mencken predicted that one day a downright moron would be elected president... that came true in 2000 and then was doubled-down on in 2016, and Paddy Chayefsky in 1976 when "Network" predicted that the "news" would be taken over by the entertainment wings of the networks.

Compared to those, jesus never came close.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 3 users Like Minimalist's post
03-08-2017, 12:15 PM
I believe quite the opposite is true.

Unless we're talking specifically about American news networks, what I have lately realized is that the news is the most available it has ever been. Sure, the epidemic of fake news is ravaging the web, but it is the first time in the history of mankind that anyone with an internet connection can crosscheck and confirm whether something is true or not. The sources are endless.

Was it better back when all we had was the local newspaper?

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 4 users Like undergroundp's post
03-08-2017, 12:18 PM
(03-08-2017 12:15 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  I believe quite the opposite is true.

Unless we're talking specifically about American news networks, what I have lately realized is that the news is the most available it has ever been. Sure, the epidemic of fake news is ravaging the web, but it is the first time in the history of mankind that anyone with an internet connection can crosscheck and confirm whether something is true or not. The sources are endless.

Was it better back when all we had was the local newspaper?

I think the internet in general is a double-edged sword in that respect. Anyone with the time and inclination can find out pretty much anything, but too many people see little motivation to go through all the trouble looking things up and instead take a few moments to let their chosen news source tell them what to think.

More Min Gee Ziss
[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 2 users Like TSG's post
03-08-2017, 12:32 PM
(01-08-2017 02:32 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(31-07-2017 07:28 PM)YourADhere Wrote:  Watch this video. Bill Maher hits this right on the head. The news is very broken. The News is dead

I lost what respect I had for Bill Maher when I heard him ranting against vaccines.
An anti-science loon is an anti-science loon, whether he's on the right or the left.

That said, he's right about the news and fluff; true on the radio as well.
But it's been like that for maybe two decades.
I guess it's nice that somebody finally noticed.

No no no no, lets not feed the Trumpsters and allow that asshole to keep using "Fake News".

News still exists, the problem is all the fluff and flat out conspiracy rags cause objective news to get lost in the swamp. If any side is far more responsible for lack of objectivity it would be propaganda machines like Fucks News and Breitbart.

Newspapers like the Washington Post and New York Times and especially mom and pop stations are still out there trying to be objective and doing a good job of it.

I'd only say because of things like Fucks News, and even mind rot crap like Jerry Springer and WWE, not in that they exist, just in that there is too much of it, we have set society up to be quick satisfaction consumers.

But to say there are no objective reporters left would be an absurd claim. Clouded by crap maybe, but still there regardless.

If corporate news has been poisoned by anything, left or right, it has been poisoned by the same lack of enforcing anti monopoly concepts and age of deregulation that Reagan started. But even with that, to say there are no objective reporters is absurd.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
03-08-2017, 12:44 PM
(03-08-2017 12:18 PM)TSG Wrote:  I think the internet in general is a double-edged sword in that respect. Anyone with the time and inclination can find out pretty much anything, but too many people see little motivation to go through all the trouble looking things up and instead take a few moments to let their chosen news source tell them what to think.

That's true, but as far as Greece is concerned at least, busting fake news is quite in vogue right now (and hilariously entering the Greek parliament as a politician used the English words for it but pronounced it as "fuck news"), if you consider that the Facebook page of people exposing fake news has around 80.000 likes while the page for Jesus has 130.000 (I know these numbers aren't great but we're a small country).

So I have hope.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 2 users Like undergroundp's post