The news is dead.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-08-2017, 12:49 PM
RE: The news is dead.
(03-08-2017 12:44 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(03-08-2017 12:18 PM)TSG Wrote:  I think the internet in general is a double-edged sword in that respect. Anyone with the time and inclination can find out pretty much anything, but too many people see little motivation to go through all the trouble looking things up and instead take a few moments to let their chosen news source tell them what to think.

That's true, but as far as Greece is concerned at least, busting fake news is quite in vogue right now (and hilariously entering the Greek parliament as a politician used the English words for it but pronounced it as "fuck news"), if you consider that the Facebook page of people exposing fake news has around 80.000 likes while the page for Jesus has 130.000 (I know these numbers aren't great but we're a small country).

So I have hope.

Jesus has his own Facebook page? How often do his followers go to war with each other for misinterpreting his posts?

More Min Gee Ziss
[Image: giphy.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TSG's post
03-08-2017, 12:55 PM
(03-08-2017 12:49 PM)TSG Wrote:  Jesus has his own Facebook page? How often do his followers go to war with each other for misinterpreting his posts?

More often than you'd guess Yes

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
03-08-2017, 12:57 PM
(03-08-2017 12:55 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(03-08-2017 12:49 PM)TSG Wrote:  Jesus has his own Facebook page? How often do his followers go to war with each other for misinterpreting his posts?

More often than you'd guess Yes

I won't even try to interpret them. They're all...

Greek to me. Cool

More Min Gee Ziss
[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 2 users Like TSG's post
03-08-2017, 07:46 PM
(03-08-2017 12:15 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  I believe quite the opposite is true.

Unless we're talking specifically about American news networks, what I have lately realized is that the news is the most available it has ever been. Sure, the epidemic of fake news is ravaging the web, but it is the first time in the history of mankind that anyone with an internet connection can crosscheck and confirm whether something is true or not. The sources are endless.

Was it better back when all we had was the local newspaper?

I guess I'm not old enough to remember that. I grew up having multiple news sources available. And once upon a time, there was an FCC reg that forbade the same company from owning, IIRC, more than two radio stations and one TV station within a given broadcast area. The growth of the cable industry pretty much undid that.

As you say, we have more sources available than ever before. Trouble is, a whole lot of people don't seem to be very interested in consulting more than one source, and judging the veracity of a source is problematic in the absence of critical thinking skills.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 2 users Like Dr H's post
03-08-2017, 08:00 PM
(03-08-2017 12:32 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  No no no no, lets not feed the Trumpsters and allow that asshole to keep using "Fake News".

News still exists, the problem is all the fluff and flat out conspiracy rags cause objective news to get lost in the swamp. If any side is far more responsible for lack of objectivity it would be propaganda machines like Fucks News and Breitbart.
It's not the lack of objectivity, so much. I expect that, and that's why I use a variety of sources. Every source is going to have some bias, but if you use enough of them it's possible, usually, to dig out the actual facts.

To me, the fact that news programming has come to be viewed as entertainment is the bigger problem. Maher is right about the fluff that's padded into most news programs, and not only mainstream media.

Case in point: this past winter, we had one of the worst ice storms in decades, followed by one of the worst windstorms I've ever seen here. Trees, poles, and wires down; roads closed; accidents everywhere; power out for days in sub-freezing weather. And our local NPR station's contribution to public safety was basically: "Whoa! some storm, eh? See our website for details on school and business closures, emergency routes, and updates on power outages."

They then presented a 30 minute spot about four siblings, separated at an orphanage 50 years ago, who found each other again. woohoo!

I would have gone to their website, except... power was out; phone service was out ... there WAS no internet connection for three days.

But we did have radio. And radio had us.

Quote:Newspapers like the Washington Post and New York Times and especially mom and pop stations are still out there trying to be objective and doing a good job of it.

I'd only say because of things like Fucks News, and even mind rot crap like Jerry Springer and WWE, not in that they exist, just in that there is too much of it, we have set society up to be quick satisfaction consumers.

But to say there are no objective reporters left would be an absurd claim. Clouded by crap maybe, but still there regardless.
Oh there are a few of them left, alright.

Problem is that they don't really have much of a forum for getting their material to the public, anymore -- unless they want to start a blog, I suppose.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 2 users Like Dr H's post
03-08-2017, 08:52 PM
I have made some serious attempts to watch Fox -I really don't want to live in a bubble.

I just cannot stand it. Facepalm

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
03-08-2017, 09:14 PM
(03-08-2017 08:00 PM)Dr H Wrote:  It's not the lack of objectivity, so much. I expect that, and that's why I use a variety of sources. Every source is going to have some bias, but if you use enough of them it's possible, usually, to dig out the actual facts.

I've done this since my days as a young man, when Clinton was President and "triangulation" was his strategy. I analogized that strategy to reading news, understanding that even "objective" sources can, do, and will suffer bias -- and so I do pay attention to Fox, I do read the LA Times, I do have NPR on in my truck most times during my commute.

I fuckin' refuse to give Breitbart a single goddamned click, though. They can earn their ad revenue without my help.
03-08-2017, 09:34 PM
(03-08-2017 12:32 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  If corporate news has been poisoned by anything, left or right, it has been poisoned by the same lack of enforcing anti monopoly concepts and age of deregulation that Reagan started. But even with that, to say there are no objective reporters is absurd.
I love this nonsense. "Even if the left media does bad things it's still the fault of Republicans!" The lack of objectivity out of YOU is astounding.

Anyway.

As for the OP yes Maher he has some good points. I remember when Paris Hilton went to like rehab or jail (forget which) they had a news chopper in the air and were giving up dates at the half hour for DAYS. Which is just stupid, the exact amount of time that should be dedicated to Paris Hilton is between 4:55 and 5:15 minutes on average according to my Google search. Big Grin

The bigger issue with news media, in my opinion, is that nearly every news outlet decimated or elliminated its departments of investigative journalism. This is reflected in the fact that you see news outlets on both sides run with narratives well past the point that those narratives have been debunked by the actual evidence.

So to me, it's not that individual news casters are less objective as a whole (though there are examples) it's that they have been stripped of the tools they need to gather and convey accurate information.

Just my opinion though.Drinking Beverage

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
04-08-2017, 02:49 AM
(03-08-2017 07:46 PM)Dr H Wrote:  I guess I'm not old enough to remember that. I grew up having multiple news sources available. And once upon a time, there was an FCC reg that forbade the same company from owning, IIRC, more than two radio stations and one TV station within a given broadcast area. The growth of the cable industry pretty much undid that.

As you say, we have more sources available than ever before. Trouble is, a whole lot of people don't seem to be very interested in consulting more than one source, and judging the veracity of a source is problematic in the absence of critical thinking skills.

I was about to reply to what you said here, but you did it yourself on your next post:

(03-08-2017 08:00 PM)Dr H Wrote:  Every source is going to have some bias, but if you use enough of them it's possible, usually, to dig out the actual facts.

So, are we talking about the news being dead or our critical thinking skills?

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
04-08-2017, 04:05 AM (This post was last modified: 04-08-2017 04:18 AM by Thoreauvian.)
(03-08-2017 08:52 PM)Dom Wrote:  I have made some serious attempts to watch Fox -I really don't want to live in a bubble.

I just cannot stand it. Facepalm

The political strategy of saying something extreme in order to achieve some compromise in your favor has gotten completely out of hand. We need to realize we can't compromise with liars.
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post