Buddy Guy gets my vote.

[Image: opforum1.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes frankiej's post
27-10-2012, 12:36 PM
RE: The official *GUITAR GODS* thread
(27-10-2012 10:27 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(27-10-2012 09:38 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  I know he's a mercurial pain in the arse but Ritchie Blackmore has to be in the top ten.

Is he? (A pain I meant)... I do love his Blackmore's Night (not surprising as I love mediaeval and renaissance music and most of his Blackmore's Night stuff is his own interpretation of traditional renaissance and older pieces).

He is quite apt to throw tantrums. He stormed off stage the last time I saw him when he had the band Rainbow. He had a speaker issue, walked off and wouldn't come back.

He is an amazing musician. I saw one clip of Blackmore's Night and it seemed a bit like Spinal Tap (I expected the baby Stonehenge to be lowered). I will give it another listen as I do like music from that time period. Any song suggestions?

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
27-10-2012, 12:52 PM
BB King

Jari Mäenpää (yes I had to copy and paste his last name) of Wintersun and Ensiferum

Eddie Van Halen

Randy Rhodes

Tom Morello

Yngwie Malmsteen

Steve Vai

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
27-10-2012, 01:11 PM
(27-10-2012 12:36 PM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  Any song suggestions?

It really depends a lot on your taste. There's an entirely instrumental album (Blackmore's Kingdom, from 1998), I would say it has the most ''traditional" sound. They have faster tunes and slower tunes, more contemporary ones and more "olden" ones.

This is a very traditional one:

This for example is an Alfonso El Sabio tune:

This one I like possibly for the lyrics more than for the music (which I also like).

So yeah, it really depends on your tastes; I myself like almost all their songsSmile

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
27-10-2012, 01:37 PM
John Petrucci

- Glasgow Kiss

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Grassy Knoll's post
27-10-2012, 02:02 PM (This post was last modified: 27-10-2012 02:10 PM by Grassy Knoll.)
(27-10-2012 10:04 AM)TheBlackKnight Wrote:  This thread will be very boring until people stop mentoning the same names we've heard a million times from guitar world and rolling stone.
Yeah I know what you mean, I guess this guy (William Kanengiser) never made it into rolling stone:

but I don't mind keeping things in perspective Smile

Jimi Hendrix

-Rock Me Baby

27-10-2012, 02:19 PM
All the people listed so far plus the following:

John Frusciante (RHCP). He's got an Eddie Van Halen style, where it's not his speed or complexity that stuns you, it's his familiarity with the guitar, like it's an extension of himself.

Randy Rhoads was already mentioned, but let's not forget Zakk Wylde did a damn fine job replacing him.

And my personal input, Kim Thayil (Soundgarden) doesn't play "guitar solos," he takes you on a trippy journey through space and time. It almost sounds like Cornell is singing to the song and Kim makes the song sing back to him.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 3 users Like Buddy Christ's post
27-10-2012, 02:22 PM
The official *GUITAR GODS* thread
(27-10-2012 02:19 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  All the people listed so far plus the following:

John Frusciante (RHCP). He's got an Eddie Van Halen style, where it's not his speed or complexity that stuns you, it's his familiarity with the guitar, like it's an extension of himself.

Randy Rhoads was already mentioned, but let's not forget Zakk Wylde did a damn fine job replacing him.

And my personal input, Kim Thayil (Soundgarden) doesn't play "guitar solos," he takes you on a trippy journey through space and time. It almost sounds like Cornell is singing to the song and Kim makes the song sing back to him.

I'm listening to Black Label Society right now and was going to mention Zakk Wylde. Good call!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
28-10-2012, 09:37 AM
Wes Montgomery - Jingles

[+] 3 users Like Grassy Knoll's post
28-10-2012, 09:39 AM
(28-10-2012 09:37 AM)Grassy Knoll Wrote:  Wes Montgomery - Jingles