The official *GUITAR GODS* thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-10-2012, 09:51 AM
RE: The official *GUITAR GODS* thread
Here's a guitar goddess. Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
28-10-2012, 09:56 AM
(28-10-2012 09:51 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Here's a guitar goddess. Tongue

You can't beat Vivaldi when it comes to... well, pretty much all instruments. He is indeed the musical love of my life Yes

Am only a step away from creating a cello gods thread Wink

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
28-10-2012, 10:04 AM
(28-10-2012 09:56 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(28-10-2012 09:51 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Here's a guitar goddess. Tongue

You can't beat Vivaldi when it comes to... well, pretty much all instruments. He is indeed the musical love of my life Yes

One of my fav's is the middle movement of Winter, from the 4 Seasons. The trouble is, everyone plays it too fast. It's like wine. To be savored. They all butcher it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhHm9R_cAIw

Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

28-10-2012, 10:14 AM (This post was last modified: 28-10-2012 12:41 PM by Vera.)
(28-10-2012 10:04 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(28-10-2012 09:56 AM)Vera Wrote:  You can't beat Vivaldi when it comes to... well, pretty much all instruments. He is indeed the musical love of my life Yes

One of my fav's is the middle movement of Winter, from the 4 Seasons. The trouble is, everyone plays it too fast. It's like wine. To be savored. They all butcher it.

I know I'm totally derailing this thread, but...

... you are right, it is indeed on the fast side. I have the same problem with one of my most favourite arias, Una Furtiva Lagrima from Love Elixir. Everyone of them sings it way too fast with the major exception of Carlo Bergonzi, whose version is the best.

This is one of my most favourte concertos (and one of my most favourite ensembles, even though I've heard other great interpretations); the first movement is possibly my favourite, but I love the whole of it.

And I just have to include a bit of cello (plus, I've already derailed the thread anywayWink)

28-10-2012, 10:26 AM
(28-10-2012 10:14 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(28-10-2012 10:04 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  One of my fav's is the middle movement of Winter, from the 4 Seasons. The trouble is, everyone plays it too fast. It's like wine. To be savored. They all butcher it.

I know I'm totally derailing this thread, but...

... you are right, it is indeed on the fast side. I have the same problem with one of my most favourite arias, Una Furtiva Lagrima from Love Elixir. Everyone of them sings it way to fast with the major exception of Carlo Bergonzi, whose version is the best.

This is one of my most favourte concertos (and one of my most favourite ensembles, even though I've heard other great interpretations); the first movement is possibly my favourite, but I love the whole of it.

And I just have to include a bit of cello (plus, I've already derailed the thread anywayWink)

I'm always complaining about people playing things too fast.

(Scroll down..the Toccata in F is my prime example of this ..
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ht=Richter

28-10-2012, 10:40 AM
(28-10-2012 10:26 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(28-10-2012 10:14 AM)Vera Wrote:  I know I'm totally derailing this thread, but...

... you are right, it is indeed on the fast side. I have the same problem with one of my most favourite arias, Una Furtiva Lagrima from Love Elixir. Everyone of them sings it way to fast with the major exception of Carlo Bergonzi, whose version is the best.

I'm always complaining about people playing things too fast.

(Scroll down..the Toccata in F is my prime example of this ..
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ht=Richter

Eesh... that was actually unpleasant to the ear (at least to mine), esp. coupled with the sound of my 'beloved' organ... No, I really do not like the sound of the organ; it gives me no aesthetic pleasure, none Sad

Yeah, it was only after getting seriously interested in classical music (as much as I hate this term, as it's not classical music I really like, but for lack of better word it'll have to do), that I understood just how important a good conductor was...

29-10-2012, 05:52 AM
Alan Morse - R Bluz (Four O'Clock And Hysteria)

Ɨ͚͙͢͟͠Ŧ̯͔̳̺̬̣̻ͅ ͖̬̰͖̺Ŧ̭̻̲̳̝̦̗Ⱥ̹̩͚͘͠͡Ꝁ̷͖̲͓̖͍̺̻Ɇ̧͈̟̞S̨̢̟̥̮­͇͈͓͉͉̣ ̶̵̪̜̪̰͕̙̱̜Ⱥ̧̝͉̕Ł̰̤̲͠Ø̨̡̯͍͙̩̭̦̦͔͔͟Ŧ̵̠̣̬̝ͅ­̬͓͚ ̮͍͙Ŧ̷͍͖̳̺͕̲̬͚͜ͅØ̷̷̳̗̠̻ ̻̪M͉̠͟Ⱥ͏̫̳̣Ꝁ̶̷̜̪͈̪Ɇ̧̦̳̻̘͙̗͉̠ ̨̯͉͙͚̫͓̜̗̗͝͝Ⱥ̡͎̳̤͚ ̴̰̥̩͎̜̣̗̕ͅS̢͈Ŧ͕͉͓͚͔Ɇ͕̙͉̫͓͉͈̖͞ͅW҉̗̖̟̳́ ̢͕̲̰͔́͞
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-10-2012, 04:38 PM (This post was last modified: 29-10-2012 04:47 PM by Luminon.)
If I have a guitar god, his name's Mike Oldfield.
I grew up on his music, it has a lot of melancholic instrumental melodies. Nevermind his commercial works and all the other diverse stuff, there's a plenty of avantgarde symphonic rock and guitar solos among his 26 albums, specially the early ones.
It seems objective to say, that he has a unique style with some obscure folk/flamenco techniques, an easily recognizable sound (melancholy! Heart ) and some pretty unusual albums. Some say he focuses on making the guitar sound good, instead of technical complexity (you know Nightwish).

I'd say this piece sums up most of what you need to know about Mike's music.

An excerpt from the 80-minutes long Incantations album. There are some nice parts, but you've got to listen through dozens of minutes of some pretty weird compositions to get there.

Two pieces from the Guitars album, where all instruments are guitars. Can't go wrong here.

[/video]
I am pretty sure that almost everyone knows this song and album, this is something that anyone can appreciate, specially the folks on national TV who often pick this album as a background music. It's also an album made for A C Clarke's book, which makes it even more awesome.

I'm really conservative with my music and it has to hit the right nerves for me to take it in. Most of recommendations just ungratefully bounce off me. All I ask are simple rules, take the right melancholic key (D minor preferably) and don't change it. You should make it melodic and original, but nothing will help you if switch to some feely goody major key.

For those who have never heard of Oldfield (except of a couple of his pop songs on radio) and aren't even going to try, I also like the song Muffin Man by Frank Zappa. There's some nice guitarwork in the end.
That's it, otherwise I haven't heard any good (read: very similar and melancholic) guitarists. I'm open to suggestions, but I guess most of people like their music more colourful and cheery or darker and louder.

If you claim there are nuances to principles, there are no nuances to getting arrested or shot for disobeying the power.
The Venus Project
FreeDomain Radio - The greatest philosophy show on the web!
[+] 1 user Likes Luminon's post
29-10-2012, 04:44 PM
Jazz god: Lenny Breau
Blues: Joe Bonamasa
[+] 2 users Like sandman's post
29-10-2012, 04:46 PM
Oh and of course Django Rheinhart

Never read health books. You could die of a misprint.

Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes sandman's post