The official *GUITAR GODS* thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-10-2012, 09:11 PM (This post was last modified: 30-10-2012 12:29 AM by The Theist.)
RE: The official *GUITAR GODS* thread
The Bass Is A Guitar, you know . . .

Mark Knopfler Of Dire Straits My personal favorite guitarist of all time. What was it Douglas Adams said? "Mark Knopfler has an extraordinary ability to make a Schecter Custom Stratocaster hoot and sing like angels on a Saturday night, exhausted from being good all week and needing a stiff drink."

David Gilmour Live In Gdansk. This video used to open my website last October when my little brother came to visit me after he had been diagnosed with stage 4 colan cancer. We listened quietly to it. I miss you bro.

G3 - Steve Vai Joe Satriani Yngwie Malmsteen (If you don't mind too many notes [Armedeaus reference])

Prince is one of the most underrated guitarists ever. I would rather listen to him than many "guitar gods." Unfortunately he is a little possessive about his material and for the moment this is the best I could do. Earlier I had covers he did of Led Zeppelin's Whole Lotta Love, and the Rolling Stones Honkytonk Women. As well as some of his own from Chaos and Disorder.

In some sense a guitar god collective. You've probably seen this, I know, but I just love it. Originality.

I . . . uh . . . I have a 27 inch flat screen with 5.1 surround sound, and damn. I tell you what. It works for me. Pansies arguing religion or Red Rocks . . . yeah.

[Image: logo2.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like The Theist's post
31-10-2012, 04:21 PM
Re: The official *GUITAR GODS* thread
Shawn Lane pretty much rules all of these clowns.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like TheBlackKnight's post
31-10-2012, 10:02 PM
(31-10-2012 04:21 PM)TheBlackKnight Wrote:  Shawn Lane pretty much rules all of these clowns.

Yes, I was wondering if anyone would mention Shawn Lane! The guy died much too soon Undecided

Ɨ͚͙͢͟͠Ŧ̯͔̳̺̬̣̻ͅ ͖̬̰͖̺Ŧ̭̻̲̳̝̦̗Ⱥ̹̩͚͘͠͡Ꝁ̷͖̲͓̖͍̺̻Ɇ̧͈̟̞S̨̢̟̥̮­͇͈͓͉͉̣ ̶̵̪̜̪̰͕̙̱̜Ⱥ̧̝͉̕Ł̰̤̲͠Ø̨̡̯͍͙̩̭̦̦͔͔͟Ŧ̵̠̣̬̝ͅ­̬͓͚ ̮͍͙Ŧ̷͍͖̳̺͕̲̬͚͜ͅØ̷̷̳̗̠̻ ̻̪M͉̠͟Ⱥ͏̫̳̣Ꝁ̶̷̜̪͈̪Ɇ̧̦̳̻̘͙̗͉̠ ̨̯͉͙͚̫͓̜̗̗͝͝Ⱥ̡͎̳̤͚ ̴̰̥̩͎̜̣̗̕ͅS̢͈Ŧ͕͉͓͚͔Ɇ͕̙͉̫͓͉͈̖͞ͅW҉̗̖̟̳́ ̢͕̲̰͔́͞
[+] 1 user Likes Grassy Knoll's post
04-11-2012, 08:51 PM (This post was last modified: 04-11-2012 11:28 PM by Grassy Knoll.)
If you are not normally drawn to the persuasive twang of the country genre then this guy may have slipped under your radar. Junior Brown. You might think that you've never heard of him but it's likely you have and just didn't know it. I've heard him in movie scores, clothing commercials, a Stone Temple Pilots song and even on a Sponge Bob Square pants episode. Definitely worthy of recognition here.

Junior Brown - Sugar Foot Rag (listen for the Hendrix licks he plays)

Ɨ͚͙͢͟͠Ŧ̯͔̳̺̬̣̻ͅ ͖̬̰͖̺Ŧ̭̻̲̳̝̦̗Ⱥ̹̩͚͘͠͡Ꝁ̷͖̲͓̖͍̺̻Ɇ̧͈̟̞S̨̢̟̥̮­͇͈͓͉͉̣ ̶̵̪̜̪̰͕̙̱̜Ⱥ̧̝͉̕Ł̰̤̲͠Ø̨̡̯͍͙̩̭̦̦͔͔͟Ŧ̵̠̣̬̝ͅ­̬͓͚ ̮͍͙Ŧ̷͍͖̳̺͕̲̬͚͜ͅØ̷̷̳̗̠̻ ̻̪M͉̠͟Ⱥ͏̫̳̣Ꝁ̶̷̜̪͈̪Ɇ̧̦̳̻̘͙̗͉̠ ̨̯͉͙͚̫͓̜̗̗͝͝Ⱥ̡͎̳̤͚ ̴̰̥̩͎̜̣̗̕ͅS̢͈Ŧ͕͉͓͚͔Ɇ͕̙͉̫͓͉͈̖͞ͅW҉̗̖̟̳́ ̢͕̲̰͔́͞
[+] 2 users Like Grassy Knoll's post
11-11-2012, 05:47 PM
You will recall the scene in back to the future where Michael J Fox plays the guitar and realizes that the world just wasn't ready for it... it's the same thing with Stanley Jordan.

[+] 1 user Likes Grassy Knoll's post
11-11-2012, 06:25 PM
Newton Faulkner

Noel Gallagher

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
16-11-2012, 12:55 AM
The anomalous method of Eric Gales

16-11-2012, 01:39 AM
A buddy of mine and I have talked about the fact that we rarely, if ever, see these guys mentioned in a Best of Guitar Gods list. Might be because any one of them alone is just a good guitarist, but Iron Maiden's Three-Axe attack of Dave Murray, Adrian Smith, and Janick Gers is one hell of a fun time. Wasted Years has one of my favorite guitar solos, (which starts around 2:30 mark) with each of them weaving in and out of the lead.

UP THE IRONS! \m/

And since we're here, Iron Maiden's Steve Harris is one of my favorite bass players. I can't call him the best because I gave my heart to Jeff Beck's bassist.

[Image: 535944-1.jpg]

I mean, come on! Look at that... [Image: 941561_f520.jpg] technique!

My Zeus, I think Jimmy Page looks cooler and cooler as he gets older. What a fucking stud.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
16-11-2012, 03:05 AM
(16-11-2012 01:39 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  A buddy of mine and I have talked about the fact that we rarely, if ever, see these guys mentioned in a Best of Guitar Gods list. Might be because any one of them alone is just a good guitarist, but Iron Maiden's Three-Axe attack of Dave Murray, Adrian Smith, and Janick Gers is one hell of a fun time. Wasted Years has one of my favorite guitar solos, (which starts around 2:30 mark) with each of them weaving in and out of the lead.

UP THE IRONS! \m/

And since we're here, Iron Maiden's Steve Harris is one of my favorite bass players. I can't call him the best because I gave my heart to Jeff Beck's bassist.

[Image: 535944-1.jpg]

I mean, come on! Look at that... [Image: 941561_f520.jpg] technique!

My Zeus, I think Jimmy Page looks cooler and cooler as he gets older. What a fucking stud.

So true. I saw Maiden in 88 I think when Frehley's Comet opened for them. We saw Ace play first and then Maiden never came out. They said Bruce had missed a flight and if we kept our ticket stubs, we could see them the following night. I went the next night and they put on a hell of a show to about a third less of the audience. Unfortunately that was around the sunset of their hay day I would say being that they were playing such a small venue in Atlanta. I couldn't help but think of the movie 'Spinal Tap' as I imagined they should have been playing somewhere bigger than the Fox Theatre.

20-11-2012, 12:45 PM
I have MANY "Guitar Hero's" but there was only ONE guitar God! I was lucky enough to know this man (now dead) and hung out with him many times. There has been none before him and will have none afterwards. The BEST guitar players all bow to him (and have done so publically).
Viva Shawn Lane!
At 1:45 you'll be astonished. At 2:45 you'll change your shorts. Was not a shredder in the typical metal sense. His heart was in Jazz Fusion and his picking style was beyond articulate for the speeds he played. Listen to the whole song to appreciate his sense of melody. He can carry the whole song on guitar and you wont be bored.