The official *GUITAR GODS* thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-01-2013, 11:51 PM
RE: The official *GUITAR GODS* thread
Jason Becker certainly deserves a mention here. "American neo-classical metal guitarist and composer. At the age of 16, he became part of the Mike Varney-produced duo Cacophony with his friend Marty Friedman. They released Speed Metal Symphony in 1987 and Go Off! in 1988. Wikipedia"

I just read about the movie/documentary about him and his tragic medical condition.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Grassy Knoll's post
07-03-2015, 11:32 AM

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
07-03-2015, 11:34 AM
(07-03-2015 11:32 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

She is awesome. I recall seeing some of these a while back. Amazing! A guitar goddess.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude.
07-03-2015, 12:09 PM
I'll say Brian May and Mark Knopfler:

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
07-03-2015, 01:22 PM
Surprised no one's mentioned Joe Satriani. Even my mum likes his stuff. There is a real musicality to his playing.

Never liked Steve Vai. Technical and boring.

Of course Stevie Ray Vaughan.

Adrian Smith is far better than Dave Murray who just widdles, but I find their solos complement each other anyway. Most metallers are just boring widdlers. Metal doesn't reach out to me emotionally any more. Classical can though.

I like Martin Taylor as well but I don't listen to much Jazz.

I absolutely loved the guitar as a teenager and used to practice many hours a day. But even though I still own all my guitar equipment I never touch it or listen to guitar music anymore. Yet I can't bring myself to sell my guitars or amps. I just find the instrument rather boring now. There's just no enjoyment when I play a guitar, not like a flute or a violin. I still get that buzz when I see a guitar shop though. But at the same time I find it rather depressing.
07-03-2015, 01:30 PM
(07-03-2015 01:22 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  Surprised no one's mentioned Joe Satriani. Even my mum likes his stuff. There is a real musicality to his playing.

Never liked Steve Vai. Technical and boring.

Of course Stevie Ray Vaughan.

Adrian Smith is far better than Dave Murray who just widdles, but I find their solos complement each other anyway. Most metallers are just boring widdlers. Metal doesn't reach out to me emotionally any more. Classical can though.

I like Martin Taylor as well but I don't listen to much Jazz.

I absolutely loved the guitar as a teenager and used to practice many hours a day. But even though I still own all my guitar equipment I never touch it or listen to guitar music anymore. Yet I can't bring myself to sell my guitars or amps. I just find the instrument rather boring now. There's just no enjoyment when I play a guitar, not like a flute or a violin. I still get that buzz when I see a guitar shop though. But at the same time I find it rather depressing.

I have a guitar station on my Pandora account that is fed by SRV, Santana, Clapton, Satriani, Kottke, and others. Since I usually am listening at work I hear a lot of great guitar but don't always take the time to note the name. I do try to hit the 'thumbs up' when I hear something that I like. I should start noting the names a little better.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude.
07-03-2015, 01:52 PM
(07-03-2015 01:22 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  Surprised no one's mentioned Joe Satriani. Even my mum likes his stuff. There is a real musicality to his playing.
Joe Sat is awesome. Very pleasant music, not just show-offy.

(07-03-2015 01:22 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  Never liked Steve Vai. Technical and boring.
Yes, not fussed on Vai ether.

(07-03-2015 01:22 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  Adrian Smith is far better than Dave Murray who just widdles, but I find their solos complement each other anyway.
Dave Murray is the better guitarist of the two, he is the best in Maiden.
Adrian plays with a more Rock feel and does give Maiden a textured element because of that. His composed songs are often more rock influenced. It's great that he came back to the band. I am not super keen on Gers style although he is also a very good guitar player.
The solos in Powerslave and Alexander the Great are excellent examples of Maiden guitar work.

(07-03-2015 01:22 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  Most metallers are just boring widdlers. Metal doesn't reach out to me emotionally any more. Classical can though.
I find classical as lacking of energy and thus quite boring although I appreciate the technicality and musical theory involved. But I do agree that there are some metal bands that try too hard to be fast or technical or show offy. The good metal bands don't fall for these issues.
07-03-2015, 08:57 PM
Shout out for the Allman Brothers in this thread. Over the years the band included Duane Allman, Dickey Betts, Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks. All guitarists that would make most people's top 100. Duane Allman is in a lot of people's top 5.

Also Johnny Winter...

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Popeye's Pappy's post
07-03-2015, 10:36 PM
John Fahey is a favorite of mine. He's a little more laid back compared to others listed here, on account of him mostly doing folk/americana arrangements. Still though, pretty great stuff

I love when he gets to making waves of sound, making them strings really sing.
If you just listen to one song though, I would suggest 'Poor boy' twenty five minutes in. The first half is fingerpicking that then transitions to slide. 'Wine and Roses' is another good one.

(30-03-2015 08:47 PM)Colourcraze Wrote:  IT'S THE HOLY GHOST oooOOOOOOOOOOooooooo
08-03-2015, 05:23 AM
(07-03-2015 01:52 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(07-03-2015 01:22 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  Most metallers are just boring widdlers. Metal doesn't reach out to me emotionally any more. Classical can though.
I find classical as lacking of energy and thus quite boring although I appreciate the technicality and musical theory involved. But I do agree that there are some metal bands that try too hard to be fast or technical or show offy. The good metal bands don't fall for these issues.

Yeah I admit that there's a hell of a lot of boring classical. I wonder if it's because a lot of rich people with too much time on their hands and not much to say musically have traditionally been writing a lot of music. After all, how can you write a symphony when all you've ever known is a life scrubbing floors to get enough money to buy a loaf of mouldy bread?

When I was younger I was much angrier and needed the excitement and energy of metal, but then when I hit 20 I found that some classical music satisfied that need instead (think night on the bare mountain, Mars the bringer of war etc). But then I gradually became used to hearing far more melodic and tonal complexity in the music. A lot of classical doesn't really interest me that much anymore.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post