The old "I'll pray for you" line

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-04-2014, 06:34 AM
The old "I'll pray for you" line
So I was doing some thinking about how my relationships with people have changed since I've stopped hiding my atheist a few months back. One thing that really pisses me off when I have exchanges with people about why I don't believe is the whole it doesn't matter if you believe he's still there for you point. This makes me also laugh a little bit at the irony. A lot of christians I talk to have this thought process that they don't want me to push my thoughts on them which I don't EVER but they continue to say that it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks their God is the one and he's there whether you like it or not. Do they not understand that I want nothing to do with any being like that?

I had this huge argument with this girl I was seeing for a short stint about religion and was explaining that free will is anything but(the bible definition that is) seeing as the options were to bow down to a tyrant and praise him for all eternity or hell fire. I told her I reject all of it and her God could leave me the fuck alone assuming the one of the bible is 100% true. This made her a little mad/scared and went on to say I was disrespectful and I shouldn't do that Undecided This set me off. I took a deep breath and went on to say "Fuck you and your God and if the one of the bible is true I'll never bow to a tyrant....deal with it" Needless to say that was the last of her lol.

I got a little off topic(sort of) but the main thing I wanted to get across is I just don't understand how ironic and hypocritical some of these religious people can be. Anyone have any interesting stories dealing with similar issues?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes MrKrispy601's post
01-04-2014, 07:11 AM
RE: The old "I'll pray for you" line
Quote:I had this huge argument with this girl I was seeing for a short stint about religion

I'm gonna stop you right there for a second son...

Stop it. Don't you do that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl...y4Mw#t=116
[+] 3 users Like earmuffs's post
01-04-2014, 07:26 AM
(01-04-2014 07:11 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
Quote:I had this huge argument with this girl I was seeing for a short stint about religion

I'm gonna stop you right there for a second son...

Stop it. Don't you do that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl...y4Mw#t=116

Ha ha man I haven't seen that skit in a while. Thanks for the laugh. Big Grin
01-04-2014, 08:01 AM
For me, I do my best to always remain calm, respectful and very clear about my point of view. I avoid getting pissed, swearing or generally getting too emotional, since I feel it makes a person command a lot less respect and seem weak. I don't want to confirm christians in their belief that atheist are negative, angry and badly behaved. When people try to push religion on me, preach to me or hope to convert me, I let them know clearly and with no fuss that I am not interested in that and find it disrespectful. If they want an honest, fair debate with me that is different and I am happy to engage in that.
There are a two exceptions though.
My grandparents, who are in their late 70's and starting to get somewhat frail, they know where I stand, but I avoid confrontation with them that might upset them too much. I brush off their attempts at preaching gently and when they tell me things like "we just hope and pray that you find your way back to Jesus and is saved" I hug them and tell them I love them too. I know they mean well and I don't have the heart to upset them unnecessarily with arguments.
My parents have been great at avoiding attempts at converting me, but they still occasionally can't stop themselves from saying that they pray for me. In this case I just laugh a little and tell them I love them. I know they don't mean to be condescending and they really do put a lot of effort into showing that they respect my standpoint and into stopping themselves from pushing religion on me.
Other than that, I do not tolerate being forced religion on and I will make it clear in a calm and collected manner. I wouldn't say "Fuck you and your god" since I find that to be unnecessarily confrontational and that it will shut down all communication. I used to be a christian myself and know they'll just take it as proof that you are in fact the mean monster they imagine atheists to be and they wont listen to what you're actually saying.
01-04-2014, 08:10 AM
Free will is not in the Bible. Free will is an idea concocted by St Augustine.

I used to enjoy popping free will into Bible.com's search engine and having "Free will is not in the Bible" come up. Some Xians reported it to the site and they changed it.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
01-04-2014, 08:18 AM
(01-04-2014 08:10 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Free will is not in the Bible. Free will is an idea concocted by St Augustine.

I used to enjoy popping free will into Bible.com's search engine and having "Free will is not in the Bible" come up. Some Xians reported it to the site and they changed it.

Oh I should have specified that was her going on about free will and I was just merely saying that her definition of free will was anything but that not that it was in the bible.
01-04-2014, 08:23 AM
That is my point. People are so ready to mention free will. Jesus never said a word about it. Jesus was all about obedience. The two ideas are at odds.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
01-04-2014, 09:51 AM
In my case it was born again Christians who insisted on praying for me. The most annoying chap was a former drug addict who found Jesus after Satan threw him down the stairs ( I kid you not). He worked as a doorman in the same building I was working in. He made it his quest to bring me back to the lord. If I told him to piss off he would just smile or grab his bible and start praying at me. In the end I just ignored the poor bastard.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
01-04-2014, 10:54 AM
When people say they will pray for you, it's a cop out. It's a means of not offering real help, to not be involved.
[+] 1 user Likes Takelababy's post
01-04-2014, 12:12 PM
I'm still a closeted atheist who lives in the bible belt but I see the irony and hypocrite ways of christians. I seriously feel that Xtians only really dive into their religion so they have an excuse to judge and be bigots. That may not be true for all of them but for most I'd say. I grew up with all the religous indoctrination and I still didn't agree with judging people for sexual orientation, race, or whatever. Just be nice, that's it. Don't be a cunt. If everyone could just do those two things we'd be good as a society.
[+] 1 user Likes KimberHenry's post