The old "I'll pray for you" line

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-04-2014, 12:22 PM
RE: The old "I'll pray for you" line
Since my de-conversion I have replaced "I'll pray for you" with "good luck with that". I don't get to many funny looks since it is not out of charter for me to make that kind of statement. "Cover you mouth when you sneeze" instead of "god bless you" does get funny looks.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-04-2014, 12:29 PM
(01-04-2014 12:22 PM)wazzel Wrote:  Since my de-conversion I have replaced "I'll pray for you" with "good luck with that". I don't get to many funny looks since it is not out of charter for me to make that kind of statement. "Cover you mouth when you sneeze" instead of "god bless you" does get funny looks.

Good ol' "Gesundheit" works pretty well there.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
01-04-2014, 01:23 PM
(01-04-2014 08:10 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Free will is not in the Bible. Free will is an idea concocted by St Augustine.

I used to enjoy popping free will into Bible.com's search engine and having "Free will is not in the Bible" come up. Some Xians reported it to the site and they changed it.
They changed the Bible? Can you do that?

Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice Is also great
And would suffice. -- Robert Frost
01-04-2014, 02:56 PM
For the most part, "I'll pray for you" does kind of get to me. I try to understand if it's something that people really can't help you with, like if you're sick or something of that nature, but if it's something like I have a bad day or "oh I'm trying to find a job now", "I'll pray for you" aren't the words of encouragement that I could ever want. That's just a cop out to leave me sulking instead of trying to help me with some joke or giving me advice or whatever helping had I could need (or whoever they say they'll be praying for) especially since I know that even as a well meaning believer, I'd usually forget who I said I was praying for before I collapsed into sleep. Still, in either case, I just nod my head and go about my way, either accepting their well meaning or knowing they don't give a shit and go to invest my time into something better for me because worrying or being pissed at them ain't worth my braincells.

I've gotten into saying, "I wish you the best" instead of "I'll pray for you" as well as giving my two cents (in the most positive way of course) when talking to people. After all, I always saw prayer as vocalizing a wish that you'd wonder around in life waiting to see if you were lucky enough for god to give you the thumbs up on your request.

[Image: notagain.gif]
01-04-2014, 03:44 PM
(01-04-2014 01:23 PM)f stop Wrote:  
(01-04-2014 08:10 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Free will is not in the Bible. Free will is an idea concocted by St Augustine.

I used to enjoy popping free will into Bible.com's search engine and having "Free will is not in the Bible" come up. Some Xians reported it to the site and they changed it.
They changed the Bible? Can you do that?

They changed the site so it kind of ignored the question. I should have shut up about it but I loved using it during debates. Smile

Recently suffered loss of intelligence. Had little to begin with! I should not miss it.
01-04-2014, 08:30 PM
Just ran into a post elsewhere discussing the same thing. One person suggested "I'll think for you". Attributed it to Hitch.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
01-04-2014, 10:05 PM
After your debate, ending with the customary "I'll pray for you" crap... wait a day or two and call them on the phone, ask them immediately and anxiously if they've prayed for you yet.

If they say no, ask them to hurry it up because you're hearing satanic voices

If they say yes, lead them on as if you've seen the light... And then announce you're joining a church polar opposite to what they were hoping for. Or even better (when dealing with Christians) claim to have converted to Islam.... That should really piss them off.

That's what C.S Lewis did... J.R.R Tolkien (a catholic) convinced him there was a god, and then got mighty pissed off when he became a protestant.

It pays to play a little prank once in a while...

Shit, piss, fuck, cunt, cocksucker, motherfucker, tits... - George Carlin.