The on-going saga...

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
14-12-2010, 10:21 PM
The on-going saga...
...of "Stark Raving and the JWs"

As some of you know, I've had a few JWs coming to visit me every couple weeks, for the past 6 months or so. I recently told them, that since I had read the book they recommended to me (the bible) I thought it only fair that they read my recommendation. The Greatest Show on Earth, by Richard Dawkins. At that particular visit, it was an older gentleman with a young man (mid to late twenties?) Immediately after finding out it was a book about evolution, the older man declined, stating that he'd "heard all about it (evolution), and had already proven it false". Well today (it's tuesday, and the JWs ALWAYS come on saturdays) the younger man came by. He was alone (JWs NEVER visit alone, which is justifiable for safety reasons) and looked almost afraid. I said, with a smile, "hey Kevin! Whats up?" That's when he said it. Something that made my heart skip a beat. He asked the name of that book I'd recommended. It all made sense. He wanted to learn, but couldn't say so in front of his fellow door-knocker. I didn't want to push him, so I decided to not even offer to talk. I only said that I'd love to hear what he thought of the book after he'd read it. Then I handed him my own copy. I swear, the guy just about blew a head gasket. He was flabbergasted that an atheist was actually GIVING him this book. I told him it made excellent reading, especially when you need some private time, and are all alone. We shared a knowing look, and he was gone.

Wow. What an experience. I really hope I get to talk to him again. It made the whole summer of discussions, with what I thought was a brick wall, worth it.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
14-12-2010, 11:07 PM
RE: The on-going saga...
Sir, you just won the game.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
14-12-2010, 11:12 PM
That is simply fantastic. Congrats to you, and congrats to that young man.

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
15-12-2010, 05:04 AM
This is the type of news I like to hear! Wonderful! Good on you for inspiring a change for the better! Please keep us updated! Big Grin

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-12-2010, 07:44 AM
We really need a "like" button..

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
15-12-2010, 08:28 AM
Thanks guys!
I don't know if anything will come of it, but it feels good just to get someone thinking.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
15-12-2010, 10:19 AM

That's awesome!!! Here's to a better, saner, RATIONAL life!
Quote this message in a reply
15-12-2010, 12:54 PM
Here's hoping for him.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
15-12-2010, 10:30 PM
Great job.
[geek]Global Insanity : -1[/geek]
18-12-2010, 04:15 PM

Wow.. That's amazing! Definitely worth it Smile