The one thing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-03-2016, 02:39 PM
The one thing
Often, when I read the exchanges between TTA members, I am amazed at some of the relationships that have formed. I don't necessarily have any relationships on here, just some decent conversations and friendly banter. But when I learn about some of the personal lives of y'all (<~ I'm not Southern, I just live in Florida) and how much a lot of you know about each other, it makes me smile.

With that said, I'd like to know, in all seriousness, what is one thing that you could tell us about yourself that even your closest friend here my be surprised to know? I'm not looking for shock-value crap or comedic answers, but something sincere that you've never shared on here that would make us all know you a little better.

I'll start: I have six grandchildren, two in college, and I'm 45 years old. That's all I'm offering about that, now you go.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like WillHopp's post
08-03-2016, 02:48 PM
RE: The one thing
I suffer from suicidal depression, and have attempted to kill myself on three separate occasions.

I have no idea whether or not I've said that on here before, but it's about the only thing coming to mind at the moment.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Unbeliever's post
08-03-2016, 02:53 PM
(08-03-2016 02:48 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  I suffer from suicidal depression, and have attempted to kill myself on three separate occasions.

I have no idea whether or not I've said that on here before, but it's about the only thing coming to mind at the moment.

Hug

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
08-03-2016, 03:03 PM
I got this.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
08-03-2016, 03:12 PM
I don't tell too many people this however I did mention it briefly a few days ago in a thread here on TTA...My two oldest brothers are/were draft dodgers and went Canada in 1969. The FBI would come to our house every year, usually in the summer, asking my mother if they were returning. One year, when I was about 10, they knocked on the door and I was the only person home. I answered the door and they really pumped little, skinny, 10-year-old-me for answers, asking me where they moved to and their phone number and if they were married, what kind of car they had....all kinds of stuff. I'm pretty proud because I gave them no answers, mostly because I didn't know.

Yes, they were dressed in a black suit and tie with a white button down shirt and yes! they actually had on dark glasses and carried a briefcase. Classic FBI.

My mother and father both supported their move to Canada. My mom didn't want her sons that she worked so hard to raise coming back from Viet Nam in a body bag.

I haven't said too much about this because there are several military people on the forum and they might not take too kindly to this subject.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 4 users Like dancefortwo's post
08-03-2016, 03:14 PM
(08-03-2016 02:39 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Often, when I read the exchanges between TTA members, I am amazed at some of the relationships that have formed. I don't necessarily have any relationships on here, just some decent conversations and friendly banter. But when I learn about some of the personal lives of y'all (<~ I'm not Southern, I just live in Florida) and how much a lot of you know about each other, it makes me smile.

With that said, I'd like to know, in all seriousness, what is one thing that you could tell us about yourself that even your closest friend here my be surprised to know? I'm not looking for shock-value crap or comedic answers, but something sincere that you've never shared on here that would make us all know you a little better.

I'll start: I have six grandchildren, two in college, and I'm 45 years old. That's all I'm offering about that, now you go.

Holy crap! I have one teenage daughter and I'm 49. I DO NOT WANT anymore kids, neither did my wife which I married a year and a half ago, so I got a vasectomy.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
08-03-2016, 03:18 PM
(08-03-2016 02:48 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  I suffer from suicidal depression, and have attempted to kill myself on three separate occasions.

Thanks for sharing. I hope things are better. Hug

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
08-03-2016, 03:20 PM
(08-03-2016 03:12 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I don't tell too many people this however I did mention it briefly a few days ago in a thread here on TTA...My two oldest brothers are/were draft dodgers and went Canada in 1969. The FBI would come to our house every year, usually in the summer, asking my mother if they were returning. One year, when I was about 10, they knocked on the door and I was the only person home. I answered the door and they really pumped little, skinny, 10-year-old-me for answers, asking me where they moved to and their phone number and if they were married, what kind of car they had....all kinds of stuff. I'm pretty proud because I gave them no answers, mostly because I didn't know.

Yes, they were dressed in a black suit and tie with a white button down shirt and yes! they actually had on dark glasses and carried a briefcase. Classic FBI.

My mother and father both supported their move to Canada. My mom didn't want her sons that she worked so hard to raise coming back from Viet Nam in a body bag.

I haven't said too much about this because there are several military people on the forum and they might not take too kindly to this subject.

I don't know any conscientious objectors, but I'm glad you told me. Cool story.

----
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
08-03-2016, 03:23 PM
(08-03-2016 02:53 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Hug

(08-03-2016 03:18 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Thanks for sharing. I hope things are better. Hug

Thank you both. But, in the interest of keeping this thread from turning into an Unbeliever-pity party, I'm currently stable. My medication works just fine. It's been three years since my last attempt, and I have no plans for any in the future.

So, again, thanks for your support, but people don't need to post hugs for me here. I seriously wasn't fishing for sympathy, and don't want to derail the thread.

Probably should have thought through the obvious consequences of a post like that before making it, in hindsight. But then, I am not a particularly smart man.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 6 users Like Unbeliever's post
08-03-2016, 03:24 PM

Built a nitrogen exit bag 4 decades ago when my Black Dog first started going rabid. Never tried it. Never will try it. It's kinda foolproof, if I use it it will not be a try but rather a done deal. But I have spent many many hours gazing at it and contemplating its significance. It has saved my sorry ass many many times.

#sigh
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post