The one thing that always stops me in my tracks

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-02-2013, 11:13 PM
The one thing that always stops me in my tracks
Ok maybe this has been discussed in another thread but this is my thought I can understand just about every single thing that I have learned about atheism evolution ect but their is 1 thing 1 thing that keeps me wondering all the time its the big one....How did something come from nothing? So ik we could also say ok where did God come from but I will admit it makes more sense to me that a God would be their and create it then thinking how something came from nothing I could really use some help here cause this is the one thing that's eating at me about all this.

"Invisible pink unicorns" and "Screaming blue ants" Matt Slick
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ChuckTesta's post
27-02-2013, 11:28 PM
RE: The one thing that always stops me in my tracks
I'll let Lawrence Krauss explain it for me, for I am not an astronomer nor theoretical physicist.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
27-02-2013, 11:35 PM
Thanks man I'm currently watching a hitchens debate but will watch this after.

27-02-2013, 11:37 PM
(27-02-2013 11:13 PM)ChuckTesta Wrote:  Ok maybe this has been discussed in another thread but this is my thought I can understand just about every single thing that I have learned about atheism evolution ect but their is 1 thing 1 thing that keeps me wondering all the time its the big one....How did something come from nothing? So ik we could also say ok where did God come from but I will admit it makes more sense to me that a God would be their and create it then thinking how something came from nothing I could really use some help here cause this is the one thing that's eating at me about all this.
Well, you can either:

1. read about a number of potential states of the universe before the big bang, as suggested by theoretical physics
2. wait to see if science figures it out with a reasonable amount of certainty

or

1. GAAAWWWWWDDDDD
27-02-2013, 11:53 PM
(27-02-2013 06:53 PM)Spoon3r Wrote:  
(27-02-2013 10:29 AM)ChuckTesta Wrote:  Mom "Yeah well did you see how demonic her face was? How do you explain that?".....I don't want to live on this planet anymore.
well...

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSPQEQmQvYM3-kZHinTeDr...SaseGGuSPS]

(27-02-2013 07:49 PM)Aspchizo Wrote:  
(27-02-2013 05:24 PM)ChuckTesta Wrote:  Well why did we all the sudden stop evolving? If you are thinking about evolution, then why haven't we started sprouting new arms and another eye? I mean evolution makes no sense at all. I think that maybe you just need to find your way in the world, but don't forget that God loves you no matter what and His heart is breaking right now for you. Ill be praying for you Ben even if you don't want me to!

This amazes me every time. Trying to say evolution makes no sense when she clearly doesn't understand it in the slightest. If you haven't already deleted her I recommend telling her to figure out what evolution is.

(27-02-2013 11:37 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  
(27-02-2013 11:13 PM)ChuckTesta Wrote:  Ok maybe this has been discussed in another thread but this is my thought I can understand just about every single thing that I have learned about atheism evolution ect but their is 1 thing 1 thing that keeps me wondering all the time its the big one....How did something come from nothing? So ik we could also say ok where did God come from but I will admit it makes more sense to me that a God would be their and create it then thinking how something came from nothing I could really use some help here cause this is the one thing that's eating at me about all this.
Well, you can either:

1. read about a number of potential states of the universe before the big bang, as suggested by theoretical physics

2. wait to see if science figures it out with a reasonable amount of certainty

or

1. GAAAWWWWWDDDDD

Lolololol "I can understand how something comes from nothing so.....IT MUST BE GAWWWWWWWDDDDD" I love these people

28-02-2013, 02:06 AM
(27-02-2013 11:28 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  I'll let Lawrence Krauss explain it for me, for I am not an astronomer nor theoretical physicist.

Aside from saying "Read Krauss' book A Universe from Nothing; Why There Is Something Rather than Nothing." there is nothing I can really do to improve that...

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
28-02-2013, 02:10 AM
This is solid stuff I'm at the 23min mark and decided to wait to finish it...well today I guess you could say Tongue

28-02-2013, 03:07 AM
See, I think you have it backward in your original post.

I have already seen that you're familiar with Occam's Razor, so consider this.

God is pretty freaking awesome. I think I can safely say that any being with all the knowledge in the universe, down to knowing what every atom is doing at every nanosecond, everywhere, has a very complex mind indeed. Any being with enough power to blink the universe into existence with just a few words has a very complex physiology (or spirituality) indeed.

On the other hand, a hydrogen atom is just about the simplest thing in the universe. Some of the smaller particles that make up a hydrogen atom are even simpler.

So, apply Occam's Razor:

Which seems more likely?
Somehow there existed a supreme being, omniscient (even though the universe didn't exist yet so there was absolutely nothing for him to know) and omnipotent (even though the universe didn't exist yet so there was nothing for him to do with this omnipotence), perfect, the most complex thing imaginable. Then one day he decided to make a universe.

or

Somehow there was hydrogen in the universe, just about the simplest thing imaginable.

Seems to me that Occam's Razor is pretty clear on which is more likely.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
28-02-2013, 07:09 AM
There is also the fact the we don't know the answer.

It seems to me that so many people can't live with "we don't know" so they insert some easy answer.

The idea of a god creating everything is an easy answer, but has the logical problem of regress.

We are working on answering origin questions; we have ideas, hypotheses, but we don't yet have an answer.

Sorry, we just have to accept that.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
28-02-2013, 03:04 PM
(28-02-2013 07:09 AM)Chas Wrote:  There is also the fact the we don't know the answer.

It seems to me that so many people can't live with "we don't know" so they insert some easy answer.

The idea of a god creating everything is an easy answer, but has the logical problem of regress.

We are working on answering origin questions; we have ideas, hypotheses, but we don't yet have an answer.

Sorry, we just have to accept that.

Oh I agree I cant stand people who are always dealing in absolute truth and then you ask them why they think that way they say...I just know...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Is the 42% thing accurate? Shadow Fox 16 290 22-07-2014 07:35 AM
Last Post: RobbyPants
  God no God its a belief thing mchgroove 41 989 24-05-2014 08:04 AM
Last Post: Elskidor
Question Remember when I was talking about the scientist and money thing Metazoa Zeke 6 195 24-03-2014 08:36 PM
Last Post: CleverUsername
  Dinosaurs on the Ark. Apparently it was a happening thing. Mad Prophet 20 2,108 03-12-2011 09:25 AM
Last Post: Kaos MD