Poll: Do you take satisfaction in knowing everyone will die?
Yes I do
No I don't
[Show Results]

The one true justice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-09-2012, 01:56 PM
The one true justice
Does anyone else take satisfaction in knowing that everyone will die eventually? Not to be too dark or anything, but to the best of my knowledge every human that is born is mortal and destined to die. This means that everyones time here on earth is finite. Regardless of how "good" or "bad" of a person you are your existence has a shelf life. Everyone is going to the same place regardless of what circumstances you are born into or how you life your life.

Comparing the above thought to various religions where you can lead a life of sin, but convert on your deathbed and be good to go. The person who is the biggest asshole in the world could still get a pass into heaven, which seems the opposite of justice (to me anyways).

Was wondering if anyone else gets satisfaction out of this thought or if I'm crazy? Being an atheist and in the minority it seems, I'm always questioning my train of thought.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-09-2012, 02:18 PM (This post was last modified: 24-09-2012 02:23 PM by Vipa.)
RE: The one true justice
Well I'd say I'm satisfied with this but for different reasons.
Not dying would also mean we wouldn't evolve anymore and personally I have high hopes for future generations' intelligence and humanity ^^ (sure evolution could lead us to an "idiocracy" future, but I sure hope it doesn't)

And well... eternity would imo render everything we do completely meaningless. Life is great/special because it's this short.
[+] 3 users Like Vipa's post
24-09-2012, 02:46 PM
(24-09-2012 02:18 PM)Vipa Wrote:  And well... eternity would imo render everything we do completely meaningless. Life is great/special because it's this short.

Well put, I hadn't thought of it that way before.
25-09-2012, 12:52 PM
No, I don't like the idea of growing old and dying. I want to find the fountain of youth (or the Fountain of Lamneth - shameless Rush plug). While I don't exactly want to live forever, I'd like to at least have a few centuries of healthy youth. I sort of squandered my best years when I wasn't wise enough to know it, and now that I'm wise enough to know better, I'm not vigorous enough to reclaim any of the squandered years. I would love to live long enough to explore space in a spaceship, with or without Captain Kirk or Picard. I would love to walk on another planet. See a black hole or a beautiful nebula with my naked eye. I want to experience flying cars and true virtual reality and all the wonderful stuff the future might hold. And I want to be young enough and healthy enough to enjoy all of that.

So while the thought of death doesn't scare me too much, the thought of not living makes me very sad. I want more life. More specifically, I want a healthier, youthful life. And I want lots of it.

I won't get it. It's only wishful thinking.

But no, I don't get satisfaction out of knowing that I will die sooner than I really would like. Nor do I get any satisfaction out of knowing anyone else is going to die, either - I'm never a "misery loves company" kind of person. Other than the death penalty, which I wholeheartedly endorse for removing the irredeemably savage criminals from society, I wish we could all live as long as we want. (and yes, I realize the impact such longevity would have on overpopulation, so it's just a pipe dream).

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post
25-09-2012, 05:32 PM
Yes. It's a comforting thought to know that no matter how much damage we do to this planet, sooner or later, we will all become one with the nature we once came from.

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
25-09-2012, 05:34 PM
I would not be happy or pleased over the fact that people die, but I see it as something depressingly poetic.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 1 user Likes Atothetheist's post
25-09-2012, 05:37 PM
I don't take pleasure in bad things happening to my enemies, and I especially don't like bad things happening to the people I love. I hope I never live to see my daughter die first, because I don't think I could bear it. I wish it never had to happen to her.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-09-2012, 12:26 AM
I do take some satisfaction in everyone dying eventually, however in this age of technology I am no longer sure it applies. Science is working on ways to extend life. If someone came up with a way to make someone live forever, I am sure only the rich and aggressive would get it. So, those corrupt politicians that are power hungry. I hope they will die, however I can't say for sure that will happen.
27-09-2012, 04:54 AM
I think, the two choises in the poll are not enough.
I find it a bit unfair just to vote between them both.
I think, there has to be a third option: I dont know / I am uncertain

But for me the idea that everybody has to die gives me hope.
The fact that every 100 year's the complet crew of spaceship earth is replaced, let me have hope for a turn to the better.

Two planets drifting through space. After a wile asked planet one planet two:
"Hey pale, you are looking bad, what's happend?"
Planet two looks sade and moans: " Don't ask, its terrible. I've got homo sapiens."
Planet one smiles and said: " Don't worry, my friend, that heals by itself!"

If atheism is a religion, then not playing football is an Olympic discipline.
[+] 2 users Like Marco Krieger's post
27-09-2012, 06:09 AM
I do take some liking to knowing that everyone will die eventually; whether science gives humans Noah age lives or not, they will still eventually die.

On the otherhand.. I look on it a bit from the otherside because I figure everything in this universe will be void of life at one point. Whether all the energy and light dies out or the universe collapses upon itself, the details of a person's life ending being justice does not matter as a truth.

"Love is hot, Truth is molten!"