Poll: Do you take satisfaction in knowing everyone will die?
Yes I do
No I don't
[Show Results]

The one true justice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-10-2012, 06:28 AM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2012 06:31 AM by PoolBoyG.)
RE: The one true justice
"The Great Equalizer" gives me an extreme calm, and piece of mind. It allows me to approach death with less apprehension.

The reasons for this, I can't exactly articulate well. All I know is that this piece of mind must be satisfied in a particular way, that we all must have the same amount of time (more or less). Much of existence is unfair (by nature and design), but this universal fairness must not change
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-10-2012, 06:45 AM
Actually I think you will find that not all of us are going to die.

I decided at a very young age that I was indeed not going to die and I stick by that decision to this day.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
01-10-2012, 07:02 AM
(01-10-2012 06:45 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Actually I think you will find that not all of us are going to die.

I decided at a very young age that I was indeed not going to die and I stick by that decision to this day.

Hahahaha... you are the on, who was found guilty to be an impostor, because you sale an elixir of life.
You was sentenced for that 1687, 1832, 1965 and 2012.

If atheism is a religion, then not playing football is an Olympic discipline.
[+] 1 user Likes Marco Krieger's post
01-10-2012, 07:20 AM (This post was last modified: 02-10-2012 08:06 PM by Bucky Ball.)
I don't "take satisfaction" in the fact. I do find a certain irony that all the theists, and believers, and popes, who have ever lived, are growing mold, or are about to, in a relatively short time, as we all will. Every fanatical preacher and priest, are eventually laid out, on a slab, their consciousness ended, and not ONE reason to think it was magically extended, (as it did not exist before their brain cells started working together).

I do think we will eventually figure out a way to extend consciousness, in some sort of machine form.

The question I have is why do we insist on seeing the whole business in terms of individuals. (That's not always been the case, in every culture). There is no "high tragedy" in death, if it's really a good thing, (which it is.) It allows for evolution amd development of the whole group. The negative perception of death comes from looking at life from an "individual's" perspective. Evolution should teach us, that's not what's going on here, in a bigger picture sense. Life only occurs in individuals, but it promotes something larger, so the deaths of individuals is actually the way it's SUPPOSED to work. Maybe even galaxies and universes are "organisms" in that sense ?? Attitudes about death are culturally relative.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
01-10-2012, 07:57 AM
(01-10-2012 07:02 AM)Marco Krieger Wrote:  
(01-10-2012 06:45 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Actually I think you will find that not all of us are going to die.

Hahahaha... you are the on, who was found guilty to be an impostor, because you sale an elixir of life.
You was sentenced for that 1687, 1832, 1965 and 2012.

I believe you are mistaking me for my cousin Ernie (he's a bit of muppet that guy).

Born in the 1400's he too decided that he wasn't going to die. What he was selling however was just water and food colouring, so technically he was selling a false product. It was just unfortunate that this year he mistakened the methylated spirits for his new "grape flavor" and accidentally killed 11 children. Simple mistake really could have happened to anyone.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
01-10-2012, 02:26 PM
Smile RE: The one true justice
(01-10-2012 07:20 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I don't "take satisfaction" in the fact.

Maybe satisfaction is the wrong word. Trying to think how to express it. Someone earlier mentioned it as "the great equalizer". It seems fair or just to me that it is something everyone must go through.

I'd agree with you too about humans being an example of "the whole is greater than the sum of the parts". Not to twist your words, but its sort of a similar line of thinking.
01-10-2012, 06:45 PM
Perhaps I'm being cold, but to me, the certainty of death doesn't really put my mind at ease when I think about those who (I believe) deserve it, because it's just part of the living process. Not really that great a punishment.

In order to be a proper punishment, we would have to think as some religious individuals do - weighing the prospect of death against the option of eternal life. Only then would I consider certain death to be a satisfactory punishment.

What's more, the individual would need to be aware that they are missing out on eternal life in order for the punishment to have any actual impact.

But, being that I do not believe in the alternative of eternal life, I'd have to say that no, it doesn't comfort me that all of us will die eventually. The punishment is incomplete, and is therefore meaningless.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user