The only thing worse than a used car salesman.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-07-2017, 02:17 PM
The only thing worse than a used car salesman.
Is a used car buyer.

I spent the last couple weeks busting ass and doing a engine swap in a car I picked up a while ago. The body was quite good, except for the front bumper cover, which needed replacing. I happened to have one, just needed paint.

I went through everything, and made sure this is a good car. The only things wrong, one rear window needs help rolling up, and the windshield has a crack. The upside is the engine has 40,000 miles less than the body, and it's got all new brakes and a new subframe. ( which tend to rust out on these models.) Everything else works. The engine has good compression, the steering tracks perfect, and the paint looks better than average. All in all, a nice car. (I don't need it as I have another just like it with only 70,000 miles on it.)

I priced it accordingly at $1800. That's very reasonable for one in this condition.

The first guy to stop said he'd "take it off my hands for $1500, IF I replaced the windshield."

I guess "Go fuck yourself" wasn't what he had in mind...

Just no pleasing some people.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
07-07-2017, 03:39 PM
RE: The only thing worse than a used car salesman.
Quick question before I give you one of my examples... I'm assuming $1800 "as is"?

In Ontario it wouldn't pass safety with a cracked windshield, is the law similar where you are?

Our dealership's cost to replace the windshield would be in the neighbourhood of $250 (CAD) (depending on the car obviously ).The safety itself would cost $120. (although again if you're licensed to do your own safeties that cost would only be the value of your own labour) So assuming you priced your labour, etc & profit into the $1800, the price of that car would be about $2500, adjusted roughly for Canadian dollars.

But...we don't sell any used cars worth less than $9000 on our lot, trade-ins worth less then that go to auction...or scrap...only exception would be motorcycles used as a trade-in on a car.

ANYWAY... your "Go fuck yourself" was entirely justified. Thumbsup

My best example of a used car buyer that didn't understand how things work is a women that bought a dodge caravan (about 4 years old with +/- 60,000 km on it she was coming in every week with little problems, and saying "is this normal with a new car?"

And I said "ma'am this car may be new too you but it is not a new car".

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 1 user Likes unsapien's post
07-07-2017, 04:03 PM
(07-07-2017 03:39 PM)unsapien Wrote:  Quick question before I give you one of my examples... I'm assuming $1800 "as is"?

In Ontario it wouldn't pass safety with a cracked windshield, is the law similar where you are?

Our dealership's cost to replace the windshield would be in the neighbourhood of $250 (CAD) (depending on the car obviously ).The safety itself would cost $120. (although again if you're licensed to do your own safeties that cost would only be the value of your own labour) So assuming you priced your labour, etc & profit into the $1800, the price of that car would be about $2500, adjusted roughly for Canadian dollars.

But...we don't sell any used cars worth less than $9000 on our lot, trade-ins worth less then that go to auction...or scrap...only exception would be motorcycles used as a trade-in on a car.

ANYWAY... your "Go fuck yourself" was entirely justified. Thumbsup

My best example of a used car buyer that didn't understand how things work is a women that bought a dodge caravan (about 4 years old with +/- 60,000 km on it she was coming in every week with little problems, and saying "is this normal with a new car?"

And I said "ma'am this car may be new too you but it is not a new car".

Far as I know in the US you get a fix-it ticket for a crack in the windshield. We don't have safety inspections, you just take your clunker on the road and hope for the best.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
07-07-2017, 04:15 PM
Yeah, this state is "as is"... And, no inspections. That said, the crack isn't directly in the driver's view. Most likely, you would not even get ticketed..

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
07-07-2017, 04:30 PM
(07-07-2017 04:15 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Yeah, this state is "as is"... And, no inspections. That said, the crack isn't directly in the driver's view. Most likely, you would not even get ticketed..

I probably wouldn't drive anything with a crack in the windshield. If I couldn't deal with you on fixing it, I might consider one of the roadside window replacement services, if I still wanted the car and thought it was worth it for me.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
07-07-2017, 04:31 PM
(07-07-2017 04:03 PM)Dom Wrote:  Far as I know in the US you get a fix-it ticket for a crack in the windshield. We don't have safety inspections, you just take your clunker on the road and hope for the best.

That varies from state to state. Mass has annual inspections and you'd have to get cracked glass, broken lights, broken horn, etc fixed within a certain period of time (don't remember offhand exactly how long it was).

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
07-07-2017, 04:44 PM
(07-07-2017 04:15 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Yeah, this state is "as is"... And, no inspections. That said, the crack isn't directly in the driver's view. Most likely, you would not even get ticketed..

Blink

Fuck me...

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
07-07-2017, 10:44 PM
(07-07-2017 04:03 PM)Dom Wrote:  Far as I know in the US you get a fix-it ticket for a crack in the windshield. We don't have safety inspections, you just take your clunker on the road and hope for the best.

Not true in Pennsylvania, we have yearly state inspections, including emissions testing.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
07-07-2017, 11:17 PM
Kansas don't give a fuck. We get requests for inspections, we just say well if it's an inspection we can do it and you got a list of things that you need to have inspected then we'll do it. But otherwise not my job.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
08-07-2017, 05:02 AM
It seems to me that the driver of the car is responsible for that car's safety.

Not the state.

State inspections are a dodge of personal responsibility.

If YOU don't know if your car is safe as possible, and you drive it, you're putting others at risk - and you should be held accountable.

Not the state, or some state sanctioned inspector.

You.