The opinions of others

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-01-2014, 05:08 AM
The opinions of others
You often hear from society "don't worry just be yourself" I say that this statement is dishonest. I think there something about the human condition that makes us worry about the opinions of others be they negative or positive. Just think those who truly don't worry about the opinions of others are usually subject to massive ridicule and encouraged to conform.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-01-2014, 05:16 AM
RE: The opinions of others
(07-01-2014 05:08 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  You often hear from society "don't worry just be yourself" I say that this statement is dishonest. I think there something about the human condition that makes us worry about the opinions of others be they negative or positive. Just think those who truly don't worry about the opinions of others are usually subject to massive ridicule and encouraged to conform.

Hmm, I have never been a fan of conforming, and if I have been ridiculed for that, I didn't notice. Maybe I just don't care.

With some people I do care whether they think positively or negatively about me, but for the most part - meh. Even if you wanted to you couldn't please all people all the time, so why bother?

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
07-01-2014, 08:51 AM (This post was last modified: 07-01-2014 08:57 AM by Physb.)
People will always seek any feedback from others. Let it be good or bad, it is innate that we seek attention.

That being said, what people usually mean is to not let negative feedback influence you in your life, etc.
07-01-2014, 09:27 AM
(07-01-2014 05:08 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  You often hear from society "don't worry just be yourself" I say that this statement is dishonest.

I disagree. For the statement to be dishonest, it would have to be said with prior knowledge of falsehood. The statement doesn't actually assert anything as truth, and one's belief on how you should regard others can't be dishonest, unless of course you alledge we all make that one up on the spot without believing it and knowing the advice to be harmful more so than helpful.

(07-01-2014 05:08 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  I think there something about the human condition that makes us worry about the opinions of others be they negative or positive.

Of course there is; it's an inherent glitch in the system, likely in our empathetic system; we all like to think that people like us, and by extension, care about us, gives us the warm 'n fuzzies, you see. Whether we actually project or follow this desire varies from person to person naturally, but it's a flaw; it forces most normal people to care whether they actually want to give two shits or not.

(07-01-2014 05:08 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  Just think those who truly don't worry about the opinions of others are usually subject to massive ridicule and encouraged to conform.

I disagree, again, but, like so many of my arguments here, it's just a semantics thing.
Those who truly don't give a damn about what others think, no they wont be pressured into conforming and ridicule wont matter, because they don't care; ask a psychopath, the proverbial kings on giving no fucks they are. Or ask me, one who genuinely doesn't give one iota of fucks to people's opinions of me, with the exception of those I trust; that's where all my fucks go to begin with.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
07-01-2014, 10:27 AM
(07-01-2014 05:08 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  You often hear from society "don't worry just be yourself" I say that this statement is dishonest. I think there something about the human condition that makes us worry about the opinions of others be they negative or positive. Just think those who truly don't worry about the opinions of others are usually subject to massive ridicule and encouraged to conform.
Problem with this is that people assume that others wouldn't like who they really are.
So they pretend to be different. In most cases that assumption is false. Unless , of course, you're a dick, then people will not like you for who you really are.

If you are a decent person , best way to get positive reactions from others is to not worry and be yourself.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
07-01-2014, 11:21 AM
I don't recall it being used in any other way then, "don't worry, be yourself" {Your a normal person and what you do naturally all the time is good/correct for the situation}.
Its sign of respect, not dishonesty. maybe some say it to crazy people to have some sport, but that would be very rare.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
07-01-2014, 11:47 AM
"To thine own self be true"

Only time it ever mattered to me what people thought of me was in my own profession, and then by mostly my peers and certain good customers.

Out in public, doing my own thing, I dont care at all. Especially people I dont know....hmm, come to think of it, even people I do know, applies here.
07-01-2014, 02:56 PM
Lets take an extreme (although in some time periods and countries, it was standard) scenarios.

Say you live in a society full of pedophiles. You sure as hell are worried about their beliefs and opinions. In no way will you conform, and you'll try your damnedest to change them. And perhaps even die trying.
Or if you are the only pedophile, and everyone isn't. You'll try your damnedest to conform to everyone else. Even if it kills you.

In short, if other people are irrational and unethical, worry about them in such a way that it'll change them. If you're irrational and unethical, worry about yourself. If everyone is neither irrational and unethical, there are no worries to be had.
09-01-2014, 09:42 AM
'Yourself' is something that is constantly evolving and changing in flux with your experiences. It is also quite a broad term. So as advice it is subjective in the regard of both the scenario in question and exactly who 'yourself' is. For example, if someone with a rubber and nipple clamp fetish asked a friend what they should wear to their child's piano recital then "Just be yourself" may not be the best advice... I'm joking of course. I think the best advice is just, "Be who you want to be". Not in a Tom Ripley way. Well, unless you are Tom Ripley.
09-01-2014, 09:54 AM
I lost my job last week for not conforming. There are worse things in life. I'd had enough of working for dictators and bullies.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user