The origin of the Jesus Fish symbol and other history nuggets

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-11-2012, 06:00 AM
Here's this lovely video.

I used to think the Jesus fish was a reference to the Jonas story, which I always thought was a strange story to focus on. But then again, a lot of Christianity is nonsense.

Instead (at around 9:45) we learn that the Greek word for "fish" (Ichthys) was actually used as a secret Christian acronym for something like "Jesus, anointed/Christ, God's, Son, Savior." It was an underground symbol of Christianity. Plus the Bible is chock full of references. The prophets were a group of fishermen, there's Jonas, Jesus feeds the mob by multiplying fish and bread.

[Image: ichthys.jpg&sa=X&ei=t02a...y9-6_4QWSw]

I'm don't know if this is common knowledge and I'm just figuring it out, but it's 7 in the morning and I haven't been to bed yet. Toodles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ichthys

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-11-2012, 06:05 AM
RE: The origin of the Jesus Fish symbol and other history nuggets
The fish used to represent a vagina.
07-11-2012, 06:30 AM
(07-11-2012 06:05 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  The fish used to represent a vagina.
That was my initial understanding. That the symbol was a feminine symbol (but how did that relate to Christianity - virgin born?) and only much later, in a more pc world, people tried to keep the symbol by saying it looked like a fish and trying to relate it to the stories in the bible.
07-11-2012, 08:08 AM
(07-11-2012 06:00 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Instead (at around 9:45) we learn that the Greek word for "fish" (Ichthys) was actually used as a secret Christian acronym for something like "Jesus, anointed/Christ, God's, Son, Savior." It was an underground symbol of Christianity. Plus the Bible is chock full of references.

[...]

I'm don't know if this is common knowledge and I'm just figuring it out, but it's 7 in the morning and I haven't been to bed yet. Toodles.

My father told me about it's history as a child. It also appeared in one of those Christian cartoon movies. Smile

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
07-11-2012, 09:15 AM
(07-11-2012 08:08 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(07-11-2012 06:00 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Instead (at around 9:45) we learn that the Greek word for "fish" (Ichthys) was actually used as a secret Christian acronym for something like "Jesus, anointed/Christ, God's, Son, Savior." It was an underground symbol of Christianity. Plus the Bible is chock full of references.

[...]

My father told me about it's history as a child. It also appeared in one of those Christian cartoon movies. Smile

My father did too. Could it be we are brothers? Consider

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My