The origin of the word "God"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-02-2017, 07:37 AM
RE: The origin of the word "God"
(22-02-2017 01:10 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(22-02-2017 01:00 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  It's just a way of saying "Khald" and therefore, when we talk about "GOD" we are referring to a man on top of a lion with wings. And not an elastic concept.

"God" finally debunked.

Not if God is a man on top of a lion with wings it's not.
le,

The Greeks thought that gods were "real" concrete beings who lived at the top of a mountain. When did they ever become "elastic", metaphysical, all-powerful entities?

I don't read any Greek works where their major deity turns from a concrete "being" into the type of "essence" which Christians now see as their "God".

It helps me to trace back the origins of the Christian God to a legendary figure. My guess is that the Chaldeans saw Khaldi as a legendary figure as well as a god and that their rulers saw themselves as the direct descendents of Khaldi. Maybe that doesn't help rid the world of metaphysical, stupid notions of an all-powerful, all-good, invisible cosmic muffin but it helps me. There's no metaphysical world and I don't believe that God was originally a metaphysical character in the sense that people now talk about "it".
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-04-2018, 12:46 PM
RE: The origin of the word "God"
I wanted to post something about language and this seems as good a place as any.

Since studying Turkish, I've had some things happen which really freaked me out. My uncle, who is a retired language professor sent me an article about how human language derives from bird song. It's a lot of sounds put together. We tend to look at a word and just see the word. We know what it means and most of the time, we just stop thinking about it there. Or, we might know that a word "comes from" some other language such as Greek or Latin.

What you don't tend to look at is why the word sounds the way it does and whether there are what I would describe as "root" sounds that make up words and which are original and go back to the very beginning of human speech.

I thought about this a lot, for some reason, and started trying to pick apart words, but I'm not a linguist so I didn't get far. But, one day, after a few years of listening and learning Turkish, I heard something which made my hair stand on end.

The Turkish word for "good" or "well", as in "how are you?", "I'm fine/good", is "iyi", pronounced "eee". To get "I am good" you put "m" on the end so you get "iyim". Turkish uses the same word for a lot of related concepts so "iyi" can be used for all sorts of things which denote happiness.

Anyway, I was resting on a bed in after a sauna in the center of town and was drifting off when I was woken by an ear piercing screaming from outside. It was kids playing but they were screaming "eee" "eee" "eee". They sounded just like monkeys in a zoo.

It freaked me out like nothing I've heard before because, I realised, as they were screaming this, that this wasn't monkey talk, it was kids shouting "great, great great!". They were excited. It made me sit up and think. This is how humans communicated from the beginning of time. Language comes from sounds we make. "eee" "mmm". Happy me.

Human 1 looks at an apple and says "m...n". "n" in Turkish is the possessive ending. "m" is "me", therefore, "it belongs to me". In English "mine".

Some people say that Turkish is Sumerian and that Sumerian is the mother of all Indo-European languages so if that's true, then by studying Turkish, you should see this flow of sounds into words, into Turkish and then into other languages.

For instance, the word "bu" in Turkish means "this" and "ra" means "place", so you get "bura" or in English, "borough" or Scots "burgh" pronounced as in "Edinburgh".

Turkish for "go" is "git" which flows through into slang or Appalachian English as "git".

Anyway, I thought I'd share that because, for me, it's an example of how when you actually live in the Near East, you realise that despite all the changes in names of the various ruling empires, not a lot changed here and people do still speak much as they would have thousands of years ago, it's just that no one studies this. We tend to just think of Turkey as a country named after a bird.

"It's just as hard to be wrong about everything as it is to be right about everything" - Kurt Godel
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcoFPNrbWCA[/video]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply