Poll: After I asked myself the biggest "Question" there is.
It shook my faith
It strengthened my faith or led me to it
It had no impact of my faith/lack of faith
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
The origin paradox. "something from nothing"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-02-2014, 01:10 AM
RE: The origin paradox. "something from nothing"
I will say that the realization that 'nothing' is a logical impossibility, did provide a sense of ordered comfort of sort, but that's about it. I no longer have to worry that I might not exist.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes toadaly's post
14-02-2014, 01:52 AM
The teachers I had growing up in church headed this problem up very early in my development, so I would say it may have strengthened it to a degree because I had an answer. Granted it was a shitty one, but still it was something. I did still question it though, and struggled with it somewhat up until my sophomore year of high school when I started reading physics and astronomy books and listening to lectures. After I started building the scientific picture of the universe in my head, it was all downhill from there.

"Good news, everyone!"
-Cody
14-02-2014, 03:53 AM
(13-02-2014 06:47 PM)sporehux Wrote:  I'm really set on "we just don't know yet", and its just wishful thinking and Woo to assume otherwise.
Hypothesis yes, the more the better. But to say "I believe, -multi verses, quantum woo is equally ego trippy as theism/deism.
You don't understand. Why do you presume that nothing is the basis of the universe? What if there never was such a thing as nothing? Just a language category?
We empirically can't know what exactly, but rationally we know that knowledge presumes something to expand into. That is a very general and vague statement, but also a true and necessary one.

And, I don't believe in multiverses (waste of energy on hair-splitting) and I understand quantum woo enough to know that quantum phenomena occur on quantum scale, save for computer hard drives and other things that utilize them.
14-02-2014, 07:16 AM
It's not "something from nothing," it is "everything from nothing." Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
14-02-2014, 07:26 AM
"Everything" and "nothing" (as well as "existence" and "nonexistence" ... which a deity MUST participate in... ) are (separate) *structures* in Reality. The real question is where and how did Reality arise. "Come from" is a meaningless set of words until the Reality question is addressed. The question is meaningless.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
14-02-2014, 07:37 AM
Yeah, I don't like it either. Where did the universe come from? It came from a book, motherfucker. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-02-2014, 09:13 AM
If you don't start with the assumption that 'nothing' is in some sense more primary than 'something', then there is no quandary.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
14-02-2014, 09:58 AM
I have two hypothesis that are backed up by nothing (lol)

1: The universe is breathing. Matter does not escape black holes but is somehow condensed and trapped within them. Over an infinite amount of time all stars collapse and become black holes and eventually they all consume one another (metaphorically breathing in) Once all matter and black holes are (or to a certain point)consumed, an event happens which releases all of the matter (metaphorically breathing outwards). Its is an endless cycle.

2: (which can incorporate number 1) Is that everything has just always been here. There is no beginning and there is no end.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 3 users Like bemore's post
14-02-2014, 10:04 AM
(14-02-2014 09:58 AM)bemore Wrote:  I have two hypothesis that are backed up by nothing (lol)

1: The universe is breathing. Matter does not escape black holes but is somehow condensed and trapped within them. Over an infinite amount of time all stars collapse and become black holes and eventually they all consume one another (metaphorically breathing in) Once all matter and black holes are (or to a certain point)consumed, an event happens which releases all of the matter (metaphorically breathing outwards). Its is an endless cycle.

2: (which can incorporate number 1) Is that everything has just always been here. There is no beginning and there is no end.

It's the circle of life.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
14-02-2014, 11:01 AM
(14-02-2014 10:04 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  It's the circle of life.

Cue Elton John Big Grin

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post