The origins of Christmas traditions. FACEBOOK style.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-12-2013, 02:37 AM
RE: The origins of Christmas traditions. FACEBOOK style.
Let us know if you get any responses. I should do this too, but the people who would respond are like, my grandma and my boyfriend's aunt. I don't really want get into a row with old people who are related to me...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-12-2013, 12:12 AM
Any responses on facebook to these posts?
I kind of wish I had done it... maybe next year Smile
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-12-2013, 01:10 AM
Yeah, but nothing big, I'll post them all when I'm done. So far my sister made the stupidest response haha.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
27-12-2013, 01:29 AM (This post was last modified: 27-12-2013 01:47 AM by Adrianime.)
Alright, so I basically listed them exactly as I listed them in the OP (not repeating the content that was in the OP in this post). Here are the responses I got. Nothing very spectacular, but I've honestly never talked about religion with the large majority people I know.

I started posting these on December 16th, and posted 1 per day since then.

The most stupid responses go to my sister T *colored red*

MyFacebook Wrote:Did a little bit of looking into the history of Christmas traditions. Thought I'd share a little one at a time:
#1: Origins of the *Christmas Tree*
--3 friends, 2 siblings, my dad, and my niece *like* this.
My dad: I definitely learned something.
My aunt: Totally true! But I love the beauty of my pagan tree.
My sister D: Ditto!
My uncle (he's a fundamentalist and a creationist I believe): I think Constantine brought the tree into Christian tradition as part of trying to bring this belief into Roman culture. On a lighter note, I am almost positive Jesus' cross was made out of Douglas Fir!
A different sister T: The tree has been presented as Christ falling and coming back up. Candy canes are blood red and white as snow. Everyone knows Christ was not born on Christmas and top that off with millions of Americans celebrate Christmas and are not Christian. It is a argument you will win Adrian, no need to waste breath. lol, A true Christian who is trying to learn will know all you are saying. We Celebrate Christ and have fun in some traditions.
MyFacebook Wrote:#2: Origins of *Exchanging gifts*
--My niece and one friend *like* this.
My Dad: I did know that it's origin was pagan.I learned of this over 30 years ago.in a documentary.It will amaze you to find that many of the Doctrines of Christianity predate it's origin and are found in other writtings.Never the less i support all good doctrines of all good peoples of the world past and present.I believe in an omnipresent theology that is inclusive of all.
MyFacebook Wrote:#3: *Mistletoe*
--no *likes*
My sister T: be fruitful and multiply! when am I getting a new niece or nephew Geez (note, I did not respond to this, and if you read my other post you know me and my gf are about to split...)
MyFacebook Wrote:#4: *XMas*
--3 friends, 1 sister E, and my niece *like* this.
My uncle (different from earlier): For a long time Christmas was spelled Xmas, but now people are offended by Xmas. Weird.
MyFacebook Wrote:#5: History of *Carols*
--My friend and my Dad *like* this.
MyFacebook Wrote:#6: History of *Santa*
--My sister D and her daughter, my niece *like* this.
My sister T: Lawd AD Are you not celebrating Christmas this year.
Me: Of course I am, why wouldn't I?
My sister E: A lot of good reading...I keep checking on here and think hmmmm I wonder what good Christmas stuff Adrian will post next!
My sister T: I'm joking buddy Merry Christmas
My sister T: Christmas is a celebration for more than one reason for me obviously... and knowledge is power. I am glad you are Celebrating it for what is really is about. *niece's name* says hi and we wish you all the best.
Me: Hi *niece's name*! Christmas is awesome!
MyFacebook Wrote:#7: *Candycanes*
--My Dad, 2 nieces, and 2 friends *like* this.
TTA Forum member: Well Bob got taken over by the company Allan over here. Are they cousins?
Me: Haha, could be.
MyFacebook Wrote:#8: *Yule logs*
--5 friends *like* this.
MyFacebook Wrote:9: Christmas Date *25th of December*
--My dad *likes* this.

[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
27-12-2013, 01:37 AM
your dad seems cool.
[+] 1 user Likes Colourcraze's post
27-12-2013, 01:49 AM
(27-12-2013 01:37 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  your dad seems cool.
Uhmm, my dad is the only person I can say that I've honestly hated to the core. But I've mostly gotten past my rotten childhood. He is most likely mentally unstable, but his arrogance, dickishness, and violence has died down much since he and my mom got divorced. He is pretty relaxed now, I don't mind spending time with him. But out of his 8 kids, only 3 of us still talk to him.

Neither of my parents talked about religion growing up. So yeah, at least I wasn't indoctrinated Thumbsup haha.

27-12-2013, 01:53 AM
okay, I amend my statement to read: your dad seems cool about religion.

I have a similar dad story, but in reverse. My dad was decent during my childhood but gradually revealed his dickishness as I got older. We barely communicate anymore. He's cycling through families and seems to care less and less about his first one. He's on his 3rd marriage now, we'll see how long it lasts.

When I was a kid though I was heavily indoctrinated!
27-12-2013, 01:57 AM
(27-12-2013 01:53 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  okay, I amend my statement to read: your dad seems cool about religion.
I have a similar dad story, but in reverse.
haha Big Grin. Suckiness about your dad though. Yeah I am pretty confident if my dad ever remarried he would start to revert...Honestly his life is kind of sad and lonely though. Anyways though..... Big Grin

27-12-2013, 02:38 AM
right..
Happy Christmas!

yayyy gluttony and materialism!
27-12-2013, 03:07 AM
Looks like you got some nice responses! Like you said, nothing too heavy, but you were able to get info out there that people actually read Thumbsup I say, if you got the info out there, without a lot of negative blowback it was a positive experience. You agree Adrian? You happy with it overall?