The paradox of the stone (hello theophilius or BlackEyedGhost?)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-03-2011, 10:45 AM
The paradox of the stone (hello theophilius or BlackEyedGhost?)
Dregs posted this funny funny in another tread. (is that even a good sentence?)
[Image: 201001311.gif]

Anyway.
I think this refers to the question "Can God make a stone so heavy he can't lift it?"
I think it's kind of a childish question, yet, I still like to know what the common theistic answer is to that question. Theophilius or BlackEyedGhost might broaden my view on this one.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-03-2011, 03:11 PM
RE: The paradox of the stone (hello theophilius or BlackEyedGhost?)
The typical theistic argument in response to this is that omnipotence is all power that is logically possible.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
11-03-2011, 05:13 PM

They claim God cannot do things like make 1 = 2 or the likewise because that would be logically impossible, as said above. But it begs the question, how does he make something out of nothing?
Quote this message in a reply
11-03-2011, 06:05 PM

(11-03-2011 10:45 AM)The_observer Wrote:  Dregs posted this funny funny in another tread. (is that even a good sentence?)
[Image: 201001311.gif]

Anyway.
I think this refers to the question "Can God make a stone so heavy he can't lift it?"
I think it's kind of a childish question, yet, I still like to know what the common theistic answer is to that question. Theophilius or BlackEyedGhost might broaden my view on this one.

This reminds me of the question of Epicurus, and is the real problem that I have with anyone claiming power can be limitless.
Quote this message in a reply
22-03-2011, 02:06 PM
(11-03-2011 10:45 AM)The_observer Wrote:  Anyway.
I haven't been on this forum for several days so that is why I haven't responded before now. My answer to the question would be, "I don't know." God is infinite but I am not so I can't possible understand everything there is to know about him.

God's invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made.
Romans 1:20 ESV

blog
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-03-2011, 02:29 PM
(22-03-2011 02:06 PM)theophilus Wrote:  
(11-03-2011 10:45 AM)The_observer Wrote:  Anyway.
I haven't been on this forum for several days so that is why I haven't responded before now. My answer to the question would be, "I don't know." God is infinite but I am not so I can't possible understand everything there is to know about him.
Thanks. I Understand there must be no biblical consensus either.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.