The parting of the Red Sea

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-07-2016, 07:43 AM (This post was last modified: 21-07-2016 07:51 AM by Deltabravo.)
The parting of the Red Sea
There's something I don't understand about the supposed Jewish exodus from Egypt.

It is suggested that they had to cross the Red Sea, but this doesn't make sense because they didn't have to cross the Red Sea. There is land joining Egypt and Sinai so they would have walked.

There are now attempts to find a Jewish presence in Egypt and some archaeologist say they lived around the Nile delta area which, again, means they could have walked to Judea.

"Archaeology uncovers the history of the land of Rameses Ancient Rameses is located at Tell el-Daba in the eastern Delta, approximately 100 km northeast of Cairo. In antiquity, the Pelusiac branch of the Nile flowed past the site, giving access to the Mediterranean. In addition, the town lay on the land route to Canaan, the famous Horus Road. Thus, it was an important commercial and military center. Now there arose a new king over Egypt, who did not know Joseph. —Exodus 1:8 We can divide the history of the site into three periods: pre-Hyksos, Hyksos and post-Hyksos. The Hyksos were a Semitic people from Syria-Palestine, who took up residence in the eastern Nile Delta and eventually ruled northern Egypt for some 108 years, ca. 1663-1555 BC (15th Dynasty).[1] Jacob and his family arrived in Egypt around 1880 BC, based on an Exodus date of ca. 1450 BC. That was in the pre-Hyksos period when the name of the town was Rowaty, “the door of the two roads” (Bietak 1996: 9,19). [2]

Read more at: http://www.christiananswers.net/q-abr/abr-a027.html

It's really strange isn't it, that the road the Jews would have taken to Jerusalem or Herusalem is known as the Horus road. Also, Josephus wrote that the Jews were actually Hyksos, people who came from Armenia or what we now know as Syria. And here, above, we see the Hyksos in and around where these archaeologists now claim the "Jews" lived.

Two things are of note, I think, in looking at Jewish history. First, there is an attempt to make a "people" or ethnicity out of this story. However, none of the names we use to refer to this people denotes a racial group. "Jew" comes from "Yahoodi" which means they worshipped a god called Yahweh, so they were monotheists. "Israel" means "those who fight with god" and "Hebrew" comes from "Iberu" which means "over" or people who "came over", which is appropriate if Josephus is right and they "came over" the Mediterranean by sea and settled on the north shore of Egypt. (I forget what the second thing was)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-07-2016, 08:11 AM
RE: The parting of the Red Sea
Most histories of ancient Israel no longer consider information about it recoverable or even relevant to the story of Israel's emergence. - Moore, Megan Bishop; Kelle, Brad E. (2011). Biblical History and Israel's Past. Eerdmans.

The archeological evidence does not support the story told in the Book of Exodus (Meyers, Carol (2005). Exodus. Cambridge University Press) and most archaeologists have therefore abandoned the investigation of Moses and the Exodus as "a fruitless pursuit". - Dever, William (2001). What Did the Biblical Writers Know, and When Did They Know It?. Eerdmans. ISBN 3-927120-37-5.

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
[+] 3 users Like Silly Deity's post
21-07-2016, 08:34 AM
(21-07-2016 07:43 AM)Deltabravo Wrote:  There's something I don't understand about the supposed Jewish exodus from Egypt.

Hhere his honly hone hthing hto hunderstand habout hthe Hexodus.
Hit hnever happened.

The Egyptians controlled the entire Near East at the time. There was no "escaping" from them merely by moving from one place they controlled, to another place they controlled.
It is/was a myth.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ble-Bull-s

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
21-07-2016, 09:09 AM
Just wanted to say that the Hebrew says "Sea of Reeds" (or weeds) and not the Red Sea. I don't know whether these two seas are still the same, but depictions that I've seen of the Sea of Reeds in Jewish art shows the depth only about chest high to begin with.

[Image: Yam%20Suph_zpsixhs1dr8.png]
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
21-07-2016, 09:17 AM
(21-07-2016 07:43 AM)Deltabravo Wrote:  Two things are of note, I think, in looking at Jewish history. First, there is an attempt to make a "people" or ethnicity out of this story. However, none of the names we use to refer to this people denotes a racial group. "Jew" comes from "Yahoodi" which means they worshipped a god called Yahweh, so they were monotheists. "Israel" means "those who fight with god" and "Hebrew" comes from "Iberu" which means "over" or people who "came over", which is appropriate if Josephus is right and they "came over" the Mediterranean by sea and settled on the north shore of Egypt. (I forget what the second thing was)

I was taught that the term "Jew" comes from the tribe, "Judah". Most of the Jews today are from that tribe, so the term became generalized. No self-respecting Jew would ever attempt to pronounce the name of G-d, so making a diminutive name from it just seems so... not Jewish. I still could be mistaken about that, but it just seems incorrect.
[+] 3 users Like Aliza's post
21-07-2016, 12:29 PM
(21-07-2016 09:17 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(21-07-2016 07:43 AM)Deltabravo Wrote:  Two things are of note, I think, in looking at Jewish history. First, there is an attempt to make a "people" or ethnicity out of this story. However, none of the names we use to refer to this people denotes a racial group. "Jew" comes from "Yahoodi" which means they worshipped a god called Yahweh, so they were monotheists. "Israel" means "those who fight with god" and "Hebrew" comes from "Iberu" which means "over" or people who "came over", which is appropriate if Josephus is right and they "came over" the Mediterranean by sea and settled on the north shore of Egypt. (I forget what the second thing was)

I was taught that the term "Jew" comes from the tribe, "Judah". Most of the Jews today are from that tribe, so the term became generalized. No self-respecting Jew would ever attempt to pronounce the name of G-d, so making a diminutive name from it just seems so... not Jewish. I still could be mistaken about that, but it just seems incorrect.

You can't pronounce 'Dennis'?

Tongue

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 3 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
21-07-2016, 12:36 PM
(21-07-2016 12:29 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  
(21-07-2016 09:17 AM)Aliza Wrote:  I was taught that the term "Jew" comes from the tribe, "Judah". Most of the Jews today are from that tribe, so the term became generalized. No self-respecting Jew would ever attempt to pronounce the name of G-d, so making a diminutive name from it just seems so... not Jewish. I still could be mistaken about that, but it just seems incorrect.

You can't pronounce 'Dennis'?

Tongue

I don't even try to pronounce "B-b". Tongue

Who knows what might happen. Bowing
[+] 9 users Like Aliza's post
21-07-2016, 01:56 PM
Quote:There's something I don't understand about the supposed Jewish exodus from Egypt.

It is suggested that they had to cross the Red Sea, but this doesn't make sense because they didn't have to cross the Red Sea. There is land joining Egypt and Sinai so they would have walked.

There are now attempts to find a Jewish presence in Egypt and some archaeologist say they lived around the Nile delta area which, again, means they could have walked to Judea.

God was afraid of the Philistines even though he had allegedly just kicked the Egyptians' asses. Amusingly, the Philistines were not even there at the time that this exodus bullshit supposedly happened. Just another of those anachronisms which make it possible to dismiss the OT as total shit.

Quote:And it came to pass, when Pharaoh had let the people go, that God led them not through the way of the land of the Philistines, although that was near; for God said, Lest peradventure the people repent when they see war, and they return to Egypt:

Exodus 13:17

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
21-07-2016, 02:14 PM
(21-07-2016 12:36 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I don't even try to pronounce "B-b". Tongue

Who knows what might happen. Bowing

The closest you can come is SLACK! But B-b is something to be practiced not said.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
21-07-2016, 02:35 PM
(21-07-2016 09:09 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Just wanted to say that the Hebrew says "Sea of Reeds" (or weeds) and not the Red Sea. I don't know whether these two seas are still the same, but depictions that I've seen of the Sea of Reeds in Jewish art shows the depth only about chest high to begin with.

[Image: Yam%20Suph_zpsixhs1dr8.png]

I hate to be a meanie to our lovely resident Jewish girl but Moses parting a bunch of weeds or even reeds isn't all that difficult. I've walked through a big field of reeds in a marshy area up in Canada once and sure it was pain in the butt, however I did it. I was about 15 at the time. A field of weeds is even less cumbersome. Just sayin.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post