The parting of the Red Sea

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-07-2016, 03:03 PM
RE: The parting of the Red Sea
I just wonder why this is in "History" .........

Shouldn't it be filed under "Myth and Legend"????

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
21-07-2016, 03:13 PM
(21-07-2016 02:14 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(21-07-2016 12:36 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I don't even try to pronounce "B-b". Tongue

Who knows what might happen. Bowing

The closest you can come is SLACK! But B-b is something to be practiced not said.

Behold! He has spoken!
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
21-07-2016, 08:11 PM
Traditional story aside, Aliza, it's clear that it could not have happened. Egypt controlled that territory for centuries, including that entire swath of history, and was fighting a war in the north of Canaan (against the Hittites) during the time when the writers of the Torah and the Book of Joshua allege the Israelites were invading Canaan.

It would literally be like saying that I took a group of thousands of people out of the United States and moved them safely out of the United States to Alaska. (And during a time when the USA was at war with Russia *in* Alaska.)

It's an origins myth, a fiction to help unify the Judeans who had been taken captive to Babylon and prevent them from assimilating. Using their ethnic identity (intertwined with the religious one) to prevent assimilation could pretty much be a one-sentence way to summarize the entire Old Testament, if you think about it.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 5 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
21-07-2016, 08:40 PM
(21-07-2016 08:11 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Traditional story aside, Aliza, it's clear that it could not have happened. Egypt controlled that territory for centuries, including that entire swath of history, and was fighting a war in the north of Canaan (against the Hittites) during the time when the writers of the Torah and the Book of Joshua allege the Israelites were invading Canaan.

It would literally be like saying that I took a group of thousands of people out of the United States and moved them safely out of the United States to Alaska. (And during a time when the USA was at war with Russia *in* Alaska.)

It's an origins myth, a fiction to help unify the Judeans who had been taken captive to Babylon and prevent them from assimilating. Using their ethnic identity (intertwined with the religious one) to prevent assimilation could pretty much be a one-sentence way to summarize the entire Old Testament, if you think about it.

They did pretty well in Babylon. I think it was, as you said, an origins myth, but I think it was written to provide order and an organizing myth for return.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
22-07-2016, 02:58 AM
(21-07-2016 08:40 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  They did pretty well in Babylon. I think it was, as you said, an origins myth, but I think it was written to provide order and an organizing myth for return.

I've never quite settled the question of whether it was done by a council of priests for the sake of the people going to (or just arriving in) Babylon, or if it was input by the Babylonian government for the sake of controlling the people sent do what was to them flnking territory.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
22-07-2016, 09:05 AM
(22-07-2016 02:58 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(21-07-2016 08:40 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  They did pretty well in Babylon. I think it was, as you said, an origins myth, but I think it was written to provide order and an organizing myth for return.

I've never quite settled the question of whether it was done by a council of priests for the sake of the people going to (or just arriving in) Babylon, or if it was input by the Babylonian government for the sake of controlling the people sent do what was to them flnking territory.

Actually that "return" period in the ancient Near East (to me) is the most fascinating period in history. It's when the *modern* concept of "individuals" (as being important ... as opposed to *groups* ... ie nations and family groups), arose.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
22-07-2016, 09:50 AM
(21-07-2016 01:56 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  God was afraid of the Philistines...

Dunno why... most people I've met from the Pacific islands have been more than friendly.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
22-07-2016, 06:53 PM
(22-07-2016 09:50 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(21-07-2016 01:56 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  God was afraid of the Philistines...

Dunno why... most people I've met from the Pacific islands have been more than friendly.

Laugh out load

Well played!

[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
22-07-2016, 06:55 PM
(22-07-2016 09:05 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(22-07-2016 02:58 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I've never quite settled the question of whether it was done by a council of priests for the sake of the people going to (or just arriving in) Babylon, or if it was input by the Babylonian government for the sake of controlling the people sent do what was to them flnking territory.

Actually that "return" period in the ancient Near East (to me) is the most fascinating period in history. It's when the *modern* concept of "individuals" (as being important ... as opposed to *groups* ... ie nations and family groups), arose.

Very cool... I didn't know this. Do you have any links I might read about this concept?

22-07-2016, 07:44 PM (This post was last modified: 22-07-2016 08:57 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(22-07-2016 06:55 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(22-07-2016 09:05 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Actually that "return" period in the ancient Near East (to me) is the most fascinating period in history. It's when the *modern* concept of "individuals" (as being important ... as opposed to *groups* ... ie nations and family groups), arose.

Very cool... I didn't know this. Do you have any links I might read about this concept?

I"ll have to look. But it's why also (this "individual" thing) the prophets in this period finally insisted on monotheism. An individual god. Not a family of gods.
http://www.jstor.org/stable/3137208?seq=...b_contents
http://books.google.com/books?id=qqoPAAA...el&f=false

[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post