The passing of a should have been American hero

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-03-2016, 07:43 AM
The passing of a should have been American hero
Former Morton Thiokol engineer Bob Ebeling has passed away at 89. He was the man that made the call that tried to get NASA to scrub the fateful Space Shuttle Challenger launch due to the risk of failure of the SRB o-rings. Ebeling has spent much of the past 30 years consumed with guilt over his failure to get the launch scrubbed. Thankfully an outpouring of public support for his efforts to stop the launch over the past several months helped him realize he did everything he could to save seven lives that day.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2...t=20160321

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 10 users Like Popeye's Pappy's post
24-03-2016, 09:45 AM
RE: The passing of a should have been American hero
I was interested to see that Ebeling said "I think that was one of the mistakes God made", "he shouldn't have picked me for that job" and "God picked a loser".

I'm not sure how to interpret these assertions. Was Ebeling trying to mitigate the circumstances of his perceived failure to stop the launch by indirectly claiming that he'd been "chosen" for the task by a supernatural entity, and couldn't refuse? Was he admitting he was unfit for the job, but at the same time claiming that his god was also partially to blame for the disaster?

And why mention his god at all in his defense?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply