The past can be influenced by the future

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-03-2017, 10:06 PM (This post was last modified: 10-03-2017 10:10 PM by Agnostic Shane.)
RE: The past can be influenced by the future
(10-03-2017 09:17 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(10-03-2017 05:01 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  The technique simply says if you study after the exam it will help.

And it's wrong.

(10-03-2017 05:01 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  This isn't the macro level

Yes, it is.

(10-03-2017 05:01 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  it's the conscious level

Which is macroscopic from the perspective of quantum mechanics.

(10-03-2017 05:01 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  there at studies that prove it.

No, there aren't.

(10-03-2017 05:20 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  http://theghostdiaries.com/retroactive-p...cognition/

Bem is a known nutcase who still considers the demonstrably invalid Ganzfeld experiments to be evidence of psychic powers. His methodology and results for the "Feeling the Future" experiments have been ripped apart from every angle.

They are worthless, and are not evidence of psychic foreknowledge.
Consciousness isn't macroscopic.
How is it macroscopic?
Is it made of atoms?
Is it larger than an atom?
What in the world is a macroscopic consciousness?

So Bem's test results & conclusions on conscious retro-causality are wrong because he was ripped apart on a totally different subject matter? Logical fallacy at it's finest.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-03-2017, 12:03 AM
(10-03-2017 10:06 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Consciousness isn't macroscopic.

Yes, it is.

(10-03-2017 10:06 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  How is it macroscopic?
Is it made of atoms?

Consciousness is brain function. It consists of the neurochemical reactions taking place in the brain. It is considerably "larger" than an atom, inasmuch as any process can be said to have a definable size.

(10-03-2017 10:06 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  So Bem's test results & conclusions on conscious retro-causality are wrong because he was ripped apart on a totally different subject matter? Logical fallacy at it's finest.

No, Shane. Bem's conclusions on psychic foreknowledge are wrong because they were the thing that was ripped apart. You would know this if you did even two minutes' research before posting this idiocy.

Then again, if you snipped all the unresearched, pseudoscientific nonsense from your posts, you wouldn't really have anything left to say.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 8 users Like Unbeliever's post
11-03-2017, 01:48 AM
I take it as a matter of faith. Laugh out load

Allow me to prophesy: We're fucked. The collapse of civilization is such a traumatic event that ripples form to the extent of *traveling backwards in time* spinning up prophets. Scare quotes, because as much as I ain't saying anything, it's still the better way to say it. Tongue

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
11-03-2017, 03:18 AM
(11-03-2017 12:03 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  Then again, if you snipped all the unresearched, pseudoscientific nonsense from your posts, you wouldn't really have anything left to say.

Ouch! Big Grin

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
11-03-2017, 05:01 AM
(10-03-2017 02:40 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  You can get better exam results if you study right after the exam.
Try it.

Regardless of quantum physics, this is erroneous. I understand of course that you're joking, but it wasn't a good example to make your point.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
11-03-2017, 05:38 AM
(10-03-2017 05:20 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Anyways:
http://theghostdiaries.com/retroactive-p...cognition/

Daryl J. Bem's paper ("Feeling the Future: Experimental Evidence for Anomalous Retroactive Influences on Cognition and Affect") has already been debunked by several experts in the field.

Professor Kendrick Frazier, editor of the Skeptical Inquirer and a fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, writes in part:

Although Bem is a respected psychologist, they [his critics] found so many flaws in the research protocols and methods that in their view the conclusions had no validity. One of the most stinging re­bukes came in the form of an ex­tended, in-depth critique of all nine experiments by York University psychologist and CSI Executive Council member Professor James Alcock in the Skeptical Inquirer.

Alcock also concluded that the journal that published Bem’s study, the Journal of Personality and Social Psy­chology (JPSP), had done everyone a disservice by publishing this “badly flawed research article.” Parapsy­chology and the journal’s own reputation, he wrote, had been damaged, and the article’s publication disserved the public as well, “for it only adds to [public] confusion about the existence of psi.”

The results of other scientific experiments were all negative. “We [Jeffrey Galek, Joseph Simmons, Leif Nelson, Robyn LeBoeuf] conducted seven experiments testing for precognition and found no evidence supporting its existence.”

Skeptical Inquirer, Volume 37.2, March/April 2013.

Case closed. Sleepy

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
11-03-2017, 08:15 AM (This post was last modified: 11-03-2017 08:19 AM by Agnostic Shane.)
(11-03-2017 12:03 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(10-03-2017 10:06 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Consciousness isn't macroscopic.

Yes, it is.

(10-03-2017 10:06 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  How is it macroscopic?
Is it made of atoms?

Consciousness is brain function. It consists of the neurochemical reactions taking place in the brain. It is considerably "larger" than an atom, inasmuch as any process can be said to have a definable size.

(10-03-2017 10:06 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  So Bem's test results & conclusions on conscious retro-causality are wrong because he was ripped apart on a totally different subject matter? Logical fallacy at it's finest.

No, Shane. Bem's conclusions on psychic foreknowledge are wrong because they were the thing that was ripped apart. You would know this if you did even two minutes' research before posting this idiocy.

Then again, if you snipped all the unresearched, pseudoscientific nonsense from your posts, you wouldn't really have anything left to say.
Citation?
Where are you getting this stuff?
Which scientist claim consciousness IS brain function?
When you define "brain function" please show me how this "Brain Function" is macroscopic.

Is a beam of light macroscopic & bound by Newtonian physics simply because it's a combined size is larger than an atom?
Consciousness is not matter & it cannot be physically observed so how can it be macroscopic?

Microscopic (in this regard) deals with Quantum mechanics whereas Macroscopic (in this regard) deals with Newtonian mechanics.
If you are claiming Consciousness falls under Newtonian mechanics i am going to have to ask you how did you come up with that idea.

What's the point conversing with you if you are just going to make up your own definitions conveniently instead of using the common definitions?
From Wiki:
Consciousness:
Consciousness is the state or quality of awareness, or, of being aware of an external object or something within oneself. Or has been defined variously in terms of sentience, awareness, subjectivity, the ability to experience or to feel, wakefulness, having a sense of selfhood or soul, the fact that there is something "that it is like" to "have" or "be" it, and the executive control system of the mind, or the state or quality of awareness, or, of being aware of an external object or something within oneself.

Where does it say consciousness is "brain function"?
11-03-2017, 12:29 PM
(11-03-2017 08:15 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Which scientist claim consciousness IS brain function?

The entire field of neuroscience.

(11-03-2017 08:15 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  When you define "brain function" please show me how this "Brain Function" is macroscopic.

I just did.

You have long since used up any reserves of patience that I might have had for explaining further. I really don't care whether you understand or not. You are flatly wrong, and until you start doing some actual research and correcting yourself, this conversation is going nowhere.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
11-03-2017, 01:19 PM
(11-03-2017 12:29 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(11-03-2017 08:15 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Which scientist claim consciousness IS brain function?

The entire field of neuroscience.

(11-03-2017 08:15 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  When you define "brain function" please show me how this "Brain Function" is macroscopic.

I just did.

You have long since used up any reserves of patience that I might have had for explaining further. I really don't care whether you understand or not. You are flatly wrong, and until you start doing some actual research and correcting yourself, this conversation is going nowhere.
Citation?
11-03-2017, 02:01 PM
(10-03-2017 02:40 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  You can get better exam results if you study right after the exam.
Try it.

Can't hurt.

#sigh