The patent system.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-11-2013, 06:30 AM
RE: The patent system.
(04-11-2013 05:05 PM)frankksj Wrote:  Since it took 55 years to this legislation passed,

This is disingenuous phrasing. You really are annoying.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-11-2013, 08:56 AM
On the other hand, I do appreciate the irony in complaining about issues with current flavours of patent law, and recommending as an alternative copyright, which has numerous issues in its current flavours...

Reforming intellectual property rights in general is certainly necessary.

I'm still not clear on where muffs draws the line between intellectual property which ought to be protected and intellectual property which ought not to be protected.

But in fairness there is a heck of a lot of fuzzy ambiguity in the system as it currently stands Tongue.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
06-11-2013, 03:19 AM
(05-11-2013 08:56 AM)cjlr Wrote:  On the other hand, I do appreciate the irony in complaining about issues with current flavours of patent law, and recommending as an alternative copyright, which has numerous issues in its current flavours...

Reforming intellectual property rights in general is certainly necessary.

I'm still not clear on where muffs draws the line between intellectual property which ought to be protected and intellectual property which ought not to be protected.

But in fairness there is a heck of a lot of fuzzy ambiguity in the system as it currently stands Tongue.

I'm not recommending the copyright system as an alternative...
How can it be an alternative when it's already in use and doing away with the patent system wouldn't change what the copyright system is for?
I'm very familiar with copyright and trademark law, yes it has a few flaws BUT for the most part it is very good. What holes were there have been covered by various civil cases and what holes remain are very isolated cases that would be settled in a court if they ever arose and thus plugging that particular hole.

You gotta look at this from a big picture view.
Markets, economics, macro/micro/private/public markets etc.. can all be summed up in one word. Efficiency. If you learn one thing about economics learn that we strive for efficiency. It's why free trade/globalization works, because Japan can make cars cheaper and better than America and America can invade countries and steal their oil better than Japan.
A country has limited resources. Limited land, limited work force, limited capital, limited natural resources etc.. and countries are better at doing shit than other countries.
ie: Country A can make 2X for every unit of resource and 1Y.
Country B can make 1X and 2Y for every unit of resource.

Assuming that both countries need 500 X and 500Y each day to survive if they each had 1000 resources it would look like the following:
Country A = 1000X and 500Y
Country B = 500X and 1000Y
Total = 1500X and 1500Y.
But if they traded with eachother they could specialize which would look like:
Country A = 2000X 0Y (1500X 500Y after trade)
Country B = 0X 2000Y (500X 1500Y after trade)
Total = 2000X and 200Y.

The Patent system is like a country that doesn't trade. Patents block people who are in a position to more efficiently, better equipped, handle whatever it is that was patented. They're like a country that doesn't trade with foreign countries.
It's an inefficient system that is far out hindering innovation and progress than it is doing to encourage it.

Take Chas for example, sure he personally may not have done whatever it is he did BUT someone would have. Someone in a better situation than him to do so.
And if nobody did do it than it can't have been that important that it needed doing in the first place.

If the goal is to make things as efficient as possible (which it is), than the patent system is working against that goal.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
06-11-2013, 10:02 AM
(06-11-2013 03:19 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  If the goal is to make things as efficient as possible (which it is), than the patent system is working against that goal.

But that isn't the goal. Drinking Beverage

06-11-2013, 06:18 PM
Yes it is.

06-11-2013, 07:13 PM
(06-11-2013 06:18 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Yes it is.

No, it isn't. Business and trade are not holy. They are only a part of life.

06-11-2013, 08:28 PM

The goal of the patent system is to encourage and reward innovation and inventions. It has nothing to do with increasing efficiency or encouraging trade . It is only when patents block innovation that the patent system fails.
06-11-2013, 08:36 PM
Everything Girly writes for work, whether a report or software, ain't subject to copyright. It's in the public domain 'cause well the public paid for it and shit so all is right with the world. But curiously, I can patent an algorithm as a process or method. The Government technically owns the patent but I get to share in any profits up to a max of $100K/year (or somesuch) if someone licenses it. Weird. Hobo

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
06-11-2013, 10:25 PM
(06-11-2013 07:13 PM)Chas Wrote:  

No, it isn't. Business and trade are not holy. They are only a part of life.

A huge part of life that effect us more than anything else.
They determine our quality of life. If we live in a western country for example that will have a very different impact than if we live in a third world country.
Our whole lives revolve around money. We spend 9-5, 5 days a week for 40 years earning money so that we can live the lives we want too.

And efficiency is what business strives for. Efficiency improves business.

Quote:The goal of the patent system is to encourage and reward innovation and inventions. It has nothing to do with increasing efficiency or encouraging trade . It is only when patents block innovation that the patent system fails.

That's not what I'm saying. I know the purpose of the patent system, I'm saying it's conflicting with the goals of the broader economy.
As Frank said earlier, him and I believe that Y > X where Y is the hindrance the patent system causes and X is the benefits of having the system.

06-11-2013, 11:55 PM
Did anyone read my earlier post on page 2 ? Sad It was kinda TL;DR but I was hoping someone would either say "yes yes you are very wise" or "wtf are you smoking"... I feel like an ignored child Sadcryface2

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.