The "paying it forward" thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-10-2012, 12:37 AM
RE: The "paying it forward" thread
(02-10-2012 11:56 PM)depat Wrote:  I am currently working at a Domestic Violence Shelter for women and children. There are more than 50 things a day I do at this shelter that are not in my job discription. For me, this is simply human, not special, just human.

god bless you.

More seriously as the Aussie's would say... on'ya. Thumbsup

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-10-2012, 01:53 AM
I volunteer with an organisation that provides first aid at local events (when I have the time, which is a precious commodity for me these days... damn school... ).
Once I assisted in keeping a guy who was having a heart attack alive... I think he's still alive...

That counts, right?

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
03-10-2012, 02:26 AM
(03-10-2012 01:53 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  That counts, right?

Depends. What's that guys contribution to society? Axe-murderer?

Once I was checking in to a hotel and the couple next to me had had a mix up with their booking so they didn't have a room.
She was heavily pregnant so I gave them my room and slept in the car park.
Then later, three scientists and three farmers woke me up offering me money and drugs in exchange for telling them where the young couple were staying.

I told them... Fuck off, I'm trying to sleep.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
03-10-2012, 05:51 AM
Often there are people begging when you leave the supermarket. I take note when I go in and buy a day's worth of food and drink for them, and if they have a dog, (they often do) dogfood too.

Usually I buy them sandwich fixings including lettuce and tomatoes, or occasionally a hot roast chicken, milk and orange juice. I also keep jugs of water in the car for the dogs. I also buy a set of really cheap plastic plates, cups and bowls periodically and give a plate, cup and bowl and a few paper towels with it so they can fix their stuff, drink and give the dog water. These weigh next to nothing so they can hold on to them in their backpacks.

I stuff all this into a supermarket bag in the parking lot and hand it out the window as I leave (they have to stay down by the street or the supermarket calls the cops).

They are usually just passing through town, I rarely see the same people twice. It's more trouble than just handing them some money, but I think it's better to get some nutrients into them.

In the summer when I have extra produce (all the time) I drop it off in a "free box" at the local senior center. The lady there says it's usually gone within the hour.

Once a year I donate a bunch of dog and cat food to a small local shelter that rescues dogs and cats from death row at the pound, fixes them up and gets them adopted.

Why do I do these things? I dunno, it just makes me feel good.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
03-10-2012, 06:06 AM
A couple months ago I Volunteered to clean up the school. It was me and a couple of other kids surrounded by gum, papers and the like.

I did it because I wanted a clean school, is that enough?

I didn't think my mission work, along with all my other charity events counted, even though some of them I did while I was an atheist, but it had an overtly religious context to them.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 2 users Like Atothetheist's post
03-10-2012, 09:19 AM
(02-10-2012 11:32 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Recently, I tracked down a guy from some scraps of info in a wallet I found. Loads of $$$$ in it and I didn't take all of it.

Is it to be inferred that you took some of it?
03-10-2012, 06:22 PM
I'm a coder, I'm always itching to write code, I must program, I need to every bit as much as HoC needs to draw Gwynnies. The team I lead has become too good, too efficient. They finish software faster than we get tasks. When a new software job comes in I start salivating. I wanna do it, it looks interesting and exciting. But I got a coder looking for something to do. I give it to them. I find myself reduced to documenting their code and insulating them from management's bullshit. ... On second thought, that doesn't feel so much like paying it forward so much as it feels like just being a good team leader. ... Never mind. ... Carry on.

Breathing - it's more art than science.
03-10-2012, 06:31 PM
(03-10-2012 06:22 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I'm a coder, I'm always itching to write code, I must program, I need to every bit as much as HoC needs to draw Gwynnies. The team I lead has become too good, too efficient. They finish software faster than we get tasks. When a new software job comes in I start salivating. I wanna do it, it looks interesting and exciting. But I got a coder looking for something to do. I give it to them. I find myself reduced to documenting their code and insulating them from management's bullshit. ... On second thought, that doesn't feel so much like paying it forward so much as it feels like just being a good team leader. ... Never mind. ... Carry on.

Hey, I got code that needs writin'. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-10-2012, 06:52 PM
(03-10-2012 06:31 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(03-10-2012 06:22 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I'm a coder, I'm always itching to write code, I must program, I need to every bit as much as HoC needs to draw Gwynnies. The team I lead has become too good, too efficient. They finish software faster than we get tasks. When a new software job comes in I start salivating. I wanna do it, it looks interesting and exciting. But I got a coder looking for something to do. I give it to them. I find myself reduced to documenting their code and insulating them from management's bullshit. ... On second thought, that doesn't feel so much like paying it forward so much as it feels like just being a good team leader. ... Never mind. ... Carry on.

Hey, I got code that needs writin'. Yes

That's what she..............ah fuck.

[Image: StarkLord01.gif]
03-10-2012, 09:00 PM
I stopped someone from killing themselves...

anyway, I volunteer with the local autism work thing and run(yes run) a lot of their events. I also help coach their sports teams.

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter.
[+] 3 users Like Xinoftruden's post