The "paying it forward" thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-10-2012, 09:47 PM
RE: The "paying it forward" thread
As a teen I volunteered with a class of kids that mostly had Down's Syndrome that had a classroom in our high school. They were all about 9 or 10 years old, some had other issues. Mostly I went in during free periods (we didn't have a solid day of classes, our schedule was pretty open). I also took classes with the Red Cross and by 16 was certified to teach swimming to those same kids. They had school in the summer and we took them to the city pool for lessons. It was pretty cool. My parents hated it saying it was a waste of time but I really enjoyed it.

For someone labeled a "bad kid", I really wasn't.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
04-10-2012, 01:08 AM
I was headed home and met a car coming into town late at night. Their headlights were extremely dim, and I knew immediately that their alternator had failed and the car was running off the battery. Judging by the how dim their headlights were, I knew they wouldn't make it much further, so I turned around with the intention of catching them and telling them what the problem probably was. Sure enough, by the time I caught up they were pulled off the side of the road.

It was a young, obviously dirt-poor family, with two young children and what appeared to be everything they owned, crammed into the back seat of an absolutely piece-of-shit car. They'd been evicted from their apartment because they couldn't pay their rent, were on their way to move in with boy's elderly grandmother over 200 miles away and barely had enough money for gas.

They were utterly pitiful and completely lost.

I hooked up my jumper cables, charged their battery enough to get the car started and had them leave it at repair shop I knew could fix it in morning. From there I ferried them to the only Motel in town, with a stop at McDonald's on the way. I bought them dinner so the kids wouldn't starve, then paid for a room for the night. Then next morning I called the repair shop, confirmed that my suspicions were correct and they needed a new alternator and paid for the repair with a credit card. All in all, I spent about $300.

Before they left town, they called me, thanked me profusely and insisted that they'd re-pay me someday. I told them that I was just glad to be in a position to make a difference, and that when they were back on their feet they should "pay it forward" and don't worry about me.

Several days later this little old lady totters into my business, looking for me. It's grandma. She wanted to let me know that she couldn't pay me back either, but that she wanted me to know that GOD would bless me for my generosity, that I was surely "Touched by GOD", and that GOD was responsible for putting me there in her family's path, so that a GODLY man such as me, could provide for them in their time of need and that she would be PRAYING for me, PRAISE JESUS!

Awwww, shit.

Despite my objections, she insisted that this whole, "Pay it forward" thing just wouldn't work, and that they would ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY repay every penny I had spent on them because that was the CHRISTIAN thing to do!

All I could do was shake my head as she tottered out the door. I knew I'd never see a dime and I never have. That was over ten years ago. It's bugged me to this day that it never even occurred to me to tell her that I was an atheist.
[+] 5 users Like imlemuel's post
25-11-2012, 11:36 PM
I realize this is an older thread but I started a charity in 2009 -Not an official one mind you, one that is completely out of pocket. Its a common myth that Satanists are not charitable but we give when it benefits ourselves and I get great pleasure out of helping others, I also love to buy gifts for people and surprise people with their needs being met, I used to say I am the gay Oprah without all of her money.
In 2009 I held a Christmas party here in my apt, the homeless came in, took hot showers, cooked and we ate (they wanted to help with the cooking), I gave them each presents and let them spend the night, its sad that so many people think the homeless are thieves but I never had an incident, now when I walk down the street, often they will say hi to me.
I have a long list of projects I am working on now, among them are handing out gift baskets to a low income apt complex, buying rugs for elderly people so that when they step out of their showers they dont fall, donating books to local libraries, making soups and sandwiches for the homeless, taking flowers to nursing homes and hospitals for the patients that may not have anyone else, taking hot chocolate to the local girls and condoms since their pimps do not provide these things for them, handing out calling cards to local runaways who may want to call home but do so safely and I want to walk down the street and hand out gift cards someday to random people, i call my project, The wish list and I have had some amazing success!
Last Year (2011) I handed out clothes, toys and canned goods-as well as some Trees to low income families, single mothers and more, I am gathering baby food right now for a woman and her baby and I have several families in need of food-Just the basics even.
So, It is a myth that atheists and those of like mind cannot be charitable or generous.
28-11-2012, 04:00 AM
I don't think I have ever gone out of my way to do something nice for anyone.

ever.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
29-11-2012, 10:02 PM (This post was last modified: 29-11-2012 10:08 PM by Near.)
Wrong Muffsy.

You saved my lazy ass the trouble of finding your pictures, and re-posted them for me.

So that was pretty nice. Plus you saved a parking space for someone by parking on the path.

Contribute to the Community Resource!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Near's post
02-12-2012, 06:32 PM
(28-11-2012 04:00 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  I don't think I have ever gone out of my way to do something nice for anyone.

ever.
You've hosted forum mafia games and you've made photoshop art. You are not the as evil as you think you are. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
02-12-2012, 06:47 PM
On halloween I paid for a young mom's food at the food court. She was trying to return her drink because they wouldn't let her pay for the full meal spilt between debit and cash. She was surprised but thankful.

A little while ago my husband, kids and I were in downtown rush hour (in our car). It was intense traffic made worse buy someone who's car broke down in the middle lane ahead of us. As we approached we saw drivers honking at him and flipping him the bird and stuff. He looked so embarrassed and was desperately trying over and over to start his car. My husband decided to get out and push him, so he jumped out when we were right behind him. I MI2ed from the passenger to the drivers seat to follow. As soon as my husband started to push another driver got out to help and two other people walking by. We pulled into an alley just ahead. We were about to leave when one of the guys helping push started to run back down the street we came from, he had put his bag and work boots he was carrying down to help and someone was taking off with them. A guy ran down with him and the thief dropped the stuff and ran. That was disheartening but kinda funny how it happened.

RAK are fun Smile

I saw a photo of an envelope taped to a vending machine that said "RAK: Have a drink and snack on me". I loved it, I'm going to do that soon just to make someone smile Smile
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
06-12-2012, 10:36 PM
About 4 years ago, I was the only person to stop at the scene of an accident in which a Jeep had flipped down a hill and through the woods on a dark country road. One of the two guys involved was thrown from the vehicle and shattered most of the ribs on his right side and destroyed his shoulder. The other guy had a severe head injury and a broken arm. Of the 3 cars who stopped when one of the guys was waving his good arm and pleading for someone to help, I was the only one who didn't speed away in a panic.

About 2 weeks ago (on the same stretch of road, actually), a big-rig was delivering a load of medical coolers (where they store organs and such) but couldn't cross the old one-lane bridge due to weight concerns. Unfortunately, this particular stretch of road is about 2 miles long; has no off-roads where a truck of that size could turn around, and is surrounded on both sides by thick woods. For two hours, we carried out my plan to slowly (so very, very slowly) drive the truck in reverse - up the winding, hilly road - until we reached the nearest intersection; using my car as the driver's backup lights the whole way. (I also have to give credit to the 20-year-old firefighter who stopped to help us on his way home from work) Afterward, I opted to guide the truck about half an hour out of their way so that they could reach their destination; which happened to be just a few miles from where I live. I refused the driver's offer of $20 as payment for my services. (I did eventually take it, however. My rule is: refuse twice; if they insist, Darwin says TAKE THE DAMN MONEY)

Probably about 2 years ago, two super-awesome dogs came wandering into my yard. They weren't puppies, but they were still very young and playful as hell. My sister and I shared a house at the time, so we decided that we'd check the local animal shelter for any reports of missing dogs before we kept them for ourselves. Nobody had reported them missing, so we kept them. A few days later, I was leaving the general store up the road and noticed a "Lost Dog" sign stapled to the bulletin board. Turns out it was for the dogs, so I met the owner at the store and gave them back to him. It's worth noting that he was extremely Catholic. As with the truckers; I refused his monetary offer as well. (He decided not to argue. lol)

(Hopefully, this should clear up some not-so-unjustified misconceptions about my misanthropic outlook as well)

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Misanthropik's post
06-05-2013, 06:00 AM
Here is one for the books: My wife is a councelor for an Xtian mob. There are usually 6-7 people there all volunteers. NOT 1 FROM THE CHURCH.

I have a therapy dog we go to childrens hospital and aged care. No prayes but lots of happy faces. I can't spell either or iether OMD

O.M.D. ('cause the dog is real)
[+] 2 users Like OhMyDoG's post
05-06-2013, 08:46 AM
There is an elderly man that lives by himself in a house next to mine. He's been there for about 15 years. At first, he did all his yard work completely by himself. But then a couple of years ago, he started raking his leaves out to the street gutter instead of bagging them. I figured he's getting older and can't do as much anymore so I started bagging those leaves for him. I also rake well into his yard when I'm raking mine. (I'd do the whole thing, but he started raking well into my yard sometimes and I don't want him doing my whole yard if I do his.)

I was out running a few months ago and had already run about 8 miles of a 12 mile run. I was starting to get tired and then a woman pulled out from a side road in her SUV into a busy road and stalled out. After several attempts, her car wouldn't start. I turned around and went back to push her off the road even though I wasn't sure I would be able to push an SUV by myself in my tired state. She had been sitting on the other side of a sharp corner and I was afraid someone would come flying around it and smash into her. Fortunately, I got her off the road. Then someone else stopped in their car and drove her to a gas station (her SUV was just out of gas).

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair