The "paying it forward" thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-10-2012, 06:08 PM (This post was last modified: 02-10-2012 07:07 PM by Bucky Ball.)
The "paying it forward" thread
Alright you godless heathens, here's the deal.

The other night some drive-by theist came here and said we were all angry people. (Heh heh ... most of us are SO glad to be rid of religious shit, we're jumpin' for joy).

Anyway, so I'm sure many of you volunteer at charities, food-shelves, schools, and countless other places, or do other individual things. Many just do random acts of kindness.

So, this is not "the boasting thread". This is the "see, we are as good as the beliebers" thread, (well maybe it's the "see, we do stuff and don't expect a reward" thread). Also we could post random acts of kindness we were the recipients of ?

What do ya think ? Should we do this ? If it's a stupid idea, I'll just delete it.

Who wants to start it off ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
The noblest of the dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
02-10-2012, 06:17 PM
RE: The "paying it forward" thread
When I was seventeen (and fully an atheist) I donated the $800 I'd been saving for a guitar to Child's Play, a charity that gives toys, games, books, and movies to childrens hospitals.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 6 users Like Phaedrus's post
02-10-2012, 06:20 PM
The other night, I didn't kick a homeless person's teeth in for shits and giggles.

Well, actually I did that because he didn't put up a fight when I mugged him, but such details are trivial.
[+] 3 users Like caffeinesoul's post
02-10-2012, 06:24 PM
I was in the car wash today, and there was an Hispanic couple who must have dropped their cash. They were frantic. I told the manager to give them coffee, and paid their bill. She was so grateful, she cried, and embarrassed me.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
The noblest of the dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.
[+] 7 users Like Bucky Ball's post
02-10-2012, 07:40 PM
I used to keep some $5.00 bills to give out to people along a certain interchange that were down on their luck. Now it's a little too dangerous to stop on a road and open your window to someone.

I went through my clothes after my cancer weight loss and again two weekends ago and gathered everything that either didn't fit or that I knew I would never wear again. I made a point to donate everything to a domestic abuse shelter. I know those women and kids often have to leave with nothing more than the clothes on their backs.

Also, I buy something from nearly every kid that shows up at the door with a fundraiser. I know it's important to them to do well in their sales and it's my turn. Can't wait till that adorable little future salesman in a Cub Scout uniform comes back with my popcorn. He was so charming!

'See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way.' -JF
[+] 8 users Like Anjele's post
02-10-2012, 07:54 PM
I brought a lost dog back to it's owner last week while I was fishing. It took about 15 minutes and almost bringing the pup to a vet, but it ended well - it was one of those cute little lap doggies.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 3 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post
02-10-2012, 10:40 PM
I donate regularly to local food shelves.

I apprehended (gently) an autistic boy that had gotten away from his parents somehow and run over a mile to the store I was working for at the time, and I sat with him in the lounge area, keeping him as busy and occupied as possible, as he was fiery ball of pure nuclear energy and was CONSTANTLY moving, for over an hour until my managers finally called the police so he could be returned safely to his parents. I did not HAVE to do this and could have ignored the child, but I didn't. I risked my own safety to pull him down from the auto shop lift platform so he wouldn't get himself hurt or killed, and also so that he didn't escape through the open bay doors to run into the street and get struck by a car.

I gave a homeless man my very last dollar. I wish I had had more to give him at the time. As I had nothing else to give, I hugged him. Everybody deserves compassionate human contact.

I donate to Reece's Rainbow, which is an adoption organization that specializes in children with Down's Syndrome.
[+] 5 users Like SlipStitch's post
02-10-2012, 11:01 PM
Today a friend came to my place with his dad. His dad (bob) has a bobcat, and I desperately needed one to do some important things on my farm. They came over, did all the work I needed done, and wouldn't even let me compensate them for fuel. This friend is someone who would give me the shirt off his back, so it was no surprise. But what really blew me away was that it was Bob who did this all. His machine, his truck and trailer, his fuel. And he barely even knows me.

He told me I am good to his son, which means I am good to him. Damn near had tears in my eyes.

[Image: StarkLord01.gif]
[+] 6 users Like Stark Raving's post
02-10-2012, 11:32 PM
Recently, I tracked down a guy from some scraps of info in a wallet I found. Loads of $$$$ in it and I didn't take all of it.

I'm moving apartment this month so I will give all my shitty old clothes to charity. Well, I don't want them, do I?

I give rent-free shelter to beautiful young girls.
I don't ask for anything in return. I get lots in return but I don't actually "ask" for it.

That's all. Other than that, I'm a selfish cunt. Fuck 'em!

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
02-10-2012, 11:56 PM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2012 07:51 AM by depat.)
When I lived in Houston, I often gave money to men at gas stations after 1 a.m. if they wore a hoodie and had one or both hands in their pockets. Of course they had to ask for money first. And to my credit, I did this often (this belongs on the Stupid Adult thread). This may not count as I tired of this and shook a hammer at the last guy. I finally made it a point to never to gas up at night.

Once I found 600.00 in a wallet. I found the person and gave it to her. I was pissed at myself as my checking account was in the red. I reasoned I made a bad choice. I don't believe this counts either.

I am currently working at a Domestic Violence Shelter for women and children. There are more than 50 things a day I do at this shelter that are not in my job discription. For me, this is simply human, not special, just human.
[+] 5 users Like depat's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Wink The Random Acts of Kindness Thread Percepticon 22 1,128 31-03-2014 01:51 PM
Last Post: Dean J. Smith
  The compliment thread Buddy Christ 139 7,573 17-02-2014 12:55 AM
Last Post: Escape Artist
  The hash out thread kingschosen 18 880 01-08-2012 02:49 PM
Last Post: lucradis
  Forum-easter-drink picture-thread 2012 Leela 27 1,895 12-04-2012 12:51 AM
Last Post: Erxomai