The peaceful spread of Christianity (article)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-11-2015, 10:42 AM
Here's a nice little article on how Christianity spread through Europe. I'm dumbfounded by Christians that say they're persecuted today when most of them have no idea how the religion moved through the world.

https://odinicriteofaustralia.wordpress....hristians/
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes OceanTherapist's post
08-11-2015, 11:10 AM
RE: The peaceful spread of Christianity (article)
(08-11-2015 10:42 AM)OceanTherapist Wrote:  Here's a nice little article on how Christianity spread through Europe. I'm dumbfounded by Christians that say they're persecuted today when most of them have no idea how the religion moved through the world.

The piece is a bit overstated, but that point still true, that Christianity spread through much of Eurpose through violence, and the sword, and variety of other ways as well.

And I don't know of many Christians unfamiliar with the crusade, or the various ways that Christianity was spread by the sword in the middle ages. In most cases they tend to draw a distinction between the Christianity of the past and the present, when comparisons are made between Christian history, and the violent evangelicalism of ISIS.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
08-11-2015, 11:21 AM
(08-11-2015 11:10 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(08-11-2015 10:42 AM)OceanTherapist Wrote:  Here's a nice little article on how Christianity spread through Europe. I'm dumbfounded by Christians that say they're persecuted today when most of them have no idea how the religion moved through the world.

The piece is a bit overstated, but that point still true, that Christianity spread through much of Eurpose through violence, and the sword, and variety of other ways as well.

And I don't know of many Christians unfamiliar with the crusade, or the various ways that Christianity was spread by the sword in the middle ages. In most cases they tend to draw a distinction between the Christianity of the past and the present, when comparisons are made between Christian history, and the violent evangelicalism of ISIS.

The "that was then, this is now" thinking is a coping mechanism to dismiss the barbarities done in the name of 'insert religion here'.

I have heard Christians lionize the Crusades as a just and godly endeavor

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
08-11-2015, 11:30 AM
(08-11-2015 11:21 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  The "that was then, this is now" thinking is a coping mechanism to dismiss the barbarities done in the name of 'insert religion here'.

I don't disagree.

Quote:I have heard Christians lionize the Crusades as a just and godly endeavor

Yea, usually the same ones waving the confederate flag, and walking around town with assault rifles flung over their shoulders.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
08-11-2015, 11:41 AM
(08-11-2015 11:30 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(08-11-2015 11:21 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  The "that was then, this is now" thinking is a coping mechanism to dismiss the barbarities done in the name of 'insert religion here'.

I don't disagree.

Quote:I have heard Christians lionize the Crusades as a just and godly endeavor

Yea, usually the same ones waving the confederate flag, and walking around town with assault rifles flung over their shoulders.

Perhaps but not always, my father would launch a Crusade tomorrow if he were King and he doesn't wave a confederate flag though he does walk around armed Consider

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
08-11-2015, 05:33 PM

The article is very biased from an pagan odinists site. Sons of the other articles on their site are kind of amusing. Check out the one about pagans and evolution.
08-11-2015, 05:40 PM
The "spread of Christianity" - is probably a whole like like the spread of herpes.....

Only more painful, costly, and more people end up dead as a direct result.......

With luck, in the future they'll come up with a vaccine...

..|./ em

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
08-11-2015, 05:44 PM

No, it is not. Study some history! It is exactly the same as ISIS, but worse because it had the Roman Empire supporting it and persecuting Pagans!

Have you never read a history book!!!

Your level of ignorance on this subject matches that of a person who never heard of the second world war!

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
08-11-2015, 05:53 PM (This post was last modified: 08-11-2015 05:58 PM by Tomasia.)
(08-11-2015 05:44 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(08-11-2015 11:10 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  The piece is a bit overstated, but that point still true, that Christianity spread through much of Eurpose through violence, and the sword, and variety of other ways as well.

No, it is not. Study some history! It is exactly the same as ISIS, but worse because it had the Roman Empire supporting it and persecuting Pagans!

Have you never read a history book!!!

Your level of ignorance on this subject matches that of a person who never heard of the second world war!

I don't think I elaborated much on the history. But if you want to compare it to ISIS, even ISIS seems to have won very few converts through the end of a sword. They tend to kill them more so than convert them.

That plethora of western converts that left and joined their mission, didn't do so out of fear but allure. Just like kids who join gangs, and drug cartels do. They have their appeal, their slick advertising campaign, their offer of brotherhood, and adventure

08-11-2015, 07:37 PM

How exactly is it "a bit overstated " ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.