The perfect candidate?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-10-2016, 12:10 PM
The perfect candidate?
So the whole Hillary versus Trump has split peoples opinions. I would say that the vast majority here probably do not support, but will vote for Hillary to keep Trump out of office.

Even though opinions are divided, what appears apparent is pretty much everyone believes that both are not their first choice and their vote is between the lesser of two evils.

So, what would your perfect candidate look like? What policies, plans, ideas, beliefs and values would they need to get your vote? Not for the reason of who will do the least amount of damage, but for the reason of who will do the most good?

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
10-10-2016, 12:14 PM
RE: The perfect candidate?
There is no perfect candidate. We have created a system which chases people away. What other nations do in six weeks, we drag out for two fucking years.

Only the most ambitious and driven people will even enter the competition.

Time to go back to the smoke-filled rooms and do away with this primary shit.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 4 users Like Minimalist's post
10-10-2016, 12:42 PM
[Image: I2kUA6oHPVUl2.gif]

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
10-10-2016, 01:13 PM
I thought I answered this in another thread already.

[Image: tumblr_nmtvkn9I8K1s59l1yo1_1280-640x413.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes Jesster's post
10-10-2016, 01:34 PM
I'm currently reading Plato's Republic, and he suggests two qualifications for the leader(s) of a State: (1) They should be philosophers (i.e., they should have knowledge of what's best for the State), and (2) They should on no account want the job. They must be forced to do it -- not for any personal benefit, but for the good of the State.

I support both of these, but unfortunately, they are mixed in with a bunch of other less palatable stuff. Plato's utopia is not a State I would want to live in.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
10-10-2016, 02:55 PM
(10-10-2016 12:10 PM)bemore Wrote:  So the whole Hillary versus Trump has split peoples opinions. I would say that the vast majority here probably do not support, but will vote for Hillary to keep Trump out of office.

Even though opinions are divided, what appears apparent is pretty much everyone believes that both are not their first choice and their vote is between the lesser of two evils. [...]

Which is exactly what went down in the recent Aussie federal election. The winner (PM Malcolm Turnbull) didn't win the race, the opposition leader (Bill Shorten) lost the race. I'd agree that Hillary will shit it in on the day—but for all the wrong reasons.

What concerns me, from a distance, is that if Drumpf gets the flick by the party and Pence takes it on, how many people will switch their vote from Hillary to Pence (in lieu of Drumpf)? And Pence seems just as bad, but for a different set of reasons. For starters he's a self-described born-again, evangelical Catholic; he opposes LGBTI rights, abortion, homosexuality, same-sex unions, and embryonic stem-cell research; he claims that global warming "is a myth"; he also believes in creationism and intelligent design, and disavows evolution.

I'm guessing he still watches a black and white TV set?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
10-10-2016, 04:17 PM
(10-10-2016 12:14 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  There is no perfect candidate. We have created a system which chases people away. What other nations do in six weeks, we drag out for two fucking years.

I think the solution is to get government and law out of party primaries.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
10-10-2016, 04:19 PM
(10-10-2016 02:55 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
(10-10-2016 12:10 PM)bemore Wrote:  So the whole Hillary versus Trump has split peoples opinions. I would say that the vast majority here probably do not support, but will vote for Hillary to keep Trump out of office.

Even though opinions are divided, what appears apparent is pretty much everyone believes that both are not their first choice and their vote is between the lesser of two evils. [...]

Which is exactly what went down in the recent Aussie federal election. The winner (PM Malcolm Turnbull) didn't win the race, the opposition leader (Bill Shorten) lost the race. I'd agree that Hillary will shit it in on the day—but for all the wrong reasons.

What concerns me, from a distance, is that if Drumpf gets the flick by the party and Pence takes it on, how many people will switch their vote from Hillary to Pence (in lieu of Drumpf)? And Pence seems just as bad, but for a different set of reasons. For starters he's a self-described born-again, evangelical Catholic; he opposes LGBTI rights, abortion, homosexuality, same-sex unions, and embryonic stem-cell research; he claims that global warming "is a myth"; he also believes in creationism and intelligent design, and disavows evolution.

I'm guessing he still watches a black and white TV set?

Pence would be a fuckin' disaster as president. Shocking

[+] 8 users Like Chas's post
10-10-2016, 08:50 PM
(10-10-2016 04:17 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(10-10-2016 12:14 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  There is no perfect candidate. We have created a system which chases people away. What other nations do in six weeks, we drag out for two fucking years.

I think the solution is to get government and law out of party primaries.

No. Doesn't matter who is running it. If you set up a primary system you will always attract the most extreme adherents of the party.

The Republicunts were crowing this year that their primary voting numbers where much stronger than in the past. While true, do you know what percentage of republicunts voted?

17%

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
10-10-2016, 09:14 PM
(10-10-2016 08:50 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  
(10-10-2016 04:17 PM)Chas Wrote:  I think the solution is to get government and law out of party primaries.

No. Doesn't matter who is running it. If you set up a primary system you will always attract the most extreme adherents of the party.

The Republicunts were crowing this year that their primary voting numbers where much stronger than in the past. While true, do you know what percentage of republicunts voted?

17%

It matters that they set their own rules and pick their own candidates. Having government entwined in the process pollutes it.

State legislatures have no business being involved.