The personification of positive atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-05-2012, 11:02 AM
The personification of positive atheism
http://theunconverted.com/the-personific...e-atheism/

Sad that he's gone. Thankful for his contribution to children's literature and my personal life. Proud to know that he was an atheist.

"Where the Wild Things Are" was one of my favorite books growing up.

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like lightninlives's post
08-05-2012, 11:50 AM
RE: The personification of positive atheism
Sendak was also an open homosexual, which makes his life doubly powerful... disagree. One mighta led to the other. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-05-2012, 12:47 PM
(08-05-2012 11:50 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Sendak was also an open homosexual, which makes his life doubly powerful... disagree. One mighta led to the other. Tongue
You mean like your smartassedness led to your sense of humor? Thumbsup

I am the unconverted
[+] 1 user Likes lightninlives's post
08-05-2012, 01:20 PM
Not to besmirch the authors memory but I never liked where the wild things are.

Glad Sendak was a good person, sad that he died in that I didn't know him but appreciate some of his value kind of way.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-05-2012, 01:41 PM
(08-05-2012 01:20 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Not to besmirch the authors memory but I never liked where the wild things are.

Glad Sendak was a good person, sad that he died in that I didn't know him but appreciate some of his value kind of way.
You're certainly entitled to your opinion. What kind of a world would we live in if everyone had to like the same thing, think the same way, believe what everyone else believed?

[insert religious one-liner here]

I am the unconverted
08-05-2012, 02:22 PM (This post was last modified: 09-05-2012 04:40 PM by cufflink.)
This is a beautiful tribute to Sendak:

http://www.npr.org/2012/05/08/152248901/...ice-sendak

It includes four radio interviews he did, from 1986 to just last year, with NPR's Terry Gross, whom he particularly respected. The last one, in which he talks about death, is especially moving.

"Live your life. Live your life. Live your life."

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 1 user Likes cufflink's post
09-05-2012, 11:09 AM
(08-05-2012 12:47 PM)lightninlives Wrote:  
(08-05-2012 11:50 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Sendak was also an open homosexual, which makes his life doubly powerful... disagree. One mighta led to the other. Tongue
You mean like your smartassedness led to your sense of humor? Thumbsup
HOC has a sense of humor? Who knew?

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
09-05-2012, 12:14 PM
I like his books; I like the drawings and they never really struck me as "children's books", entirely. Through the years, I hope parents read them to their children, as much as children picked them out in the library to read for themselves. I often saw them as a way for parents to gain a greater understanding of their children. His work didn't talk down to children; his stories were respectful of their feelings and needs.

I'm glad he didn't have a long suffering illness, but went out fairly quickly. He seemed to be a good man who drew and expressed himself quite well. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
09-05-2012, 07:31 PM
Isn't it amazing how the atheists have the most vivid imaginations? Free thought can lead to some amazing creations...

publius2k4

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
[Image: tumblr_lvj8iyIABB1r2fzujo1_500.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes publius2k4's post
09-05-2012, 09:21 PM
(09-05-2012 12:14 PM)kim Wrote:  I like his books; I like the drawings and they never really struck me as "children's books", entirely. Through the years, I hope parents read them to their children, as much as children picked them out in the library to read for themselves. I often saw them as a way for parents to gain a greater understanding of their children. His work didn't talk down to children; his stories were respectful of their feelings and needs.

I'm glad he didn't have a long suffering illness, but went out fairly quickly. He seemed to be a good man who drew and expressed himself quite well. Shy
I was fortunate enough to be introduced to it in school (a public elementary in Miami to be exact). Just ordered a copy for me and my two-year-old son and I plan on wearing it out.

I am the unconverted