The pope quit.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-02-2013, 11:24 AM
RE: The pope quit.
(11-02-2013 11:18 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  As far as I can tell blacks and other races CAN become pope.
Not trying to nitpick, but there are only three races (and even that's being questioned). So if you take out whites and blacks, it only leaves one more race.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-02-2013, 11:33 AM
(11-02-2013 11:18 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(11-02-2013 11:06 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  Normally I wouldn't give someone in their 80s grief for retiring.

In his case? It's not that he wants to retire. It's that the job is tougher than he thought it'd be, because people are actually calling the catholic church to account for its errors, sins, and failings, rather than being blindly obedient. But hey, if he figures he can't do the job, best he step aside for someone who can.

Now I know that the black, atheist, lesbian pope isn't going to happen. But can we get someone who, say, isn't white, focuses on non-discriminatory charity and social projects, gets behind salvaging Vatican II, adopts a policy of excommunicating pedophile priests and giving them over to law enforcement, and gives less of a damn about whether this or that government recognizes gay marriage and more of a damn about reminding Catholics that murdering gays is a sin?

Sorry, but Asking for a non-white pope is really a nonissue as long as it is a pope who does what you mentioned regardless of skin color.

Having a black pope who is against all of those things is just a bad as a white pope who is the same. As far as I can tell blacks and other races CAN become pope.
Which is why I used the word "and". Tongue

Okay, fine, in practical terms it's probably the least important of the bunch. But signalling inclusiveness and equality IS important, as is bringing in someone who understands first-hand what being the target of discrimination means. (Granted, one doesn't imply the other, but that's generally the way to bet.) I mean, think how hard it would be for Catholics to go on bigoted rants about Hispanics, if the Pope was Hispanic. That could introduce real change. Of course what would REALLY be a nice change in those regards would be a female pope, but that'd require reforms far beyond Vatican II and isn't going to happen this time around.

Of course, the cardinals are going to pick one based on stances on this or that doctrinal or social issue that's at the forefront of their attention, rather than what's best for the church or the world as a whole, which means we aren't going to get even what I mentioned. That won't stop me from hoping that things will improve in the church, and that this in turn will make the church a better (or at least less-awful) influence on the world at large. Hope for the best, right?

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
11-02-2013, 11:49 AM
(11-02-2013 11:24 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(11-02-2013 11:18 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  As far as I can tell blacks and other races CAN become pope.
Not trying to nitpick, but there are only three races (and even that's being questioned). So if you take out whites and blacks, it only leaves one more race.

Welp, I am in school right now so my posts are made in haste.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
11-02-2013, 11:51 AM
(11-02-2013 11:49 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Welp, I am in school right now so my posts are made in haste.
As long as you don't think Mexican is a race, 'tis all good Yes

11-02-2013, 11:55 AM
(11-02-2013 11:51 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(11-02-2013 11:49 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Welp, I am in school right now so my posts are made in haste.
As long as you don't think Mexican is a race, 'tis all good Yes
How dumb do you think I am? Tongue

11-02-2013, 11:57 AM
(11-02-2013 11:55 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(11-02-2013 11:51 AM)Vera Wrote:  As long as you don't think Mexican is a race, 'tis all good Yes
How dumb do you think I am? Tongue
No comment Wink J/K
11-02-2013, 11:58 AM
(11-02-2013 11:55 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  How dumb do you think I am? Tongue

Do you really want me to answer this? Dodgy

11-02-2013, 12:00 PM (This post was last modified: 11-02-2013 12:03 PM by kim.)
Oi, everyone with the nazi talk... he's an old man who some people were brainwashed into thinking is god junior and now he's getting ready to die. He doesn't want to be publicly held responsible anymore for the ongoing crimes of his life's work because he says he's too decrepit to be able to fight about it anymore. He's "requested pardon for his deficiencies". Whatevah. Angel

Small Town gosip True Story:

I'm reminded of the story of a local US political figure from before the turn of the 20th century who lived in the city here where I live now. When he died, the entire town came for his funeral, dignitaries from all over the state and country in fact, turned out to pay their respects. He was a very well known, highly respected man.

In the following weeks, the man's widow visited a stone quarry, and chose a massive stone which she requested to be left in it's natural state, unpolished, and placed on top of the entire plot where her late husband rested. Within a few weeks, the widow was summoned to the cemetery to view the placement of the stone monument at the gravesite.

The stone was massive and it was a difficult job to get it from the quarry to the cemetery. The widow walked all around the plot and seemed satisfied with the placement and personally thanked each of the workmen for taking such care with the stone. As the widow was being driven away in her carriage she gazed long at the stone and with relief and great satisfaction remarked, "That should keep him where he belongs."
The End.

I figure she knew more than most. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
11-02-2013, 12:02 PM
(11-02-2013 11:58 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(11-02-2013 11:55 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  How dumb do you think I am? Tongue

Do you really want me to answer this? Dodgy

:O...... Yes......No.....yes.

11-02-2013, 12:10 PM
(11-02-2013 12:02 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  :O...... Yes......No.....yes.
Maybe some other time. When I'm not all spent on bitchiness (or is it on being nice...) Either way, count your blessings.

[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post