The popular image of Jesus

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-02-2011, 03:15 PM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2011 05:07 PM by Observer.)
The popular image of Jesus
Does anyone know where that popular image of Jesus comes from? You know, the one from the handsome man with the beard. No one can really know how he looked like. Is it somewhere in the bible?

I thought of this when confronted with this optical illusion and stated I saw Belgian folk singer Ferre Grignard. LOL

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-02-2011, 04:58 PM

RE: The popular image of Jesus
That's a great question, never thought about it. And how is it Jesus who lived in Middle East is a White Guy??? I can't see how.
Quote this message in a reply
04-02-2011, 05:14 PM
This might interest you all:
The Real Face Of Jesus
Advances in forensic science reveal the most famous face in history.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/...cs/1282186

[Image: buddhasig.png]
“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” ~ Gautama Buddha
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-02-2011, 05:21 PM
The first known painting that is supposed to be of jesus comes from Greece in the 5th or 6th century. It depicts a man with Greek features, not Jewish features. That said, it cannot be anymore inaccurate than anything else from the bible.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
04-02-2011, 05:21 PM
Well, we know he didn't look like this.

[Image: hes-not-the-messiah-demotivational-poste...779273.jpg]

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
04-02-2011, 05:30 PM
[Image: tb_jesuslead-lg-mdn.jpg]
it does look convincing...

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
04-02-2011, 05:38 PM
(04-02-2011 05:30 PM)The_observer Wrote:  [Image: tb_jesuslead-lg-mdn.jpg]
it does look convincing...

Because it looks like a person who would lived in the Roman province of Judea.

[Image: buddhasig.png]
“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” ~ Gautama Buddha
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-02-2011, 05:42 PM
(04-02-2011 05:38 PM)The Doctor Wrote:  Because it looks like a person who would lived in the Roman province of Judea.
That quite sums it up yes... It could be anyone form that era.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
04-02-2011, 05:48 PM
What it jesus was actually a woman and the writers of the bible changed her identity because of biggotry?

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
04-02-2011, 07:49 PM
A little over 20 years ago Madonna's "Like a Prayer" video portrayed Jesus as black. Of all the various controversies Madonna has stirred up over her career (and bless her over-sexed little heart for that), I think that one got people the most pissed off. Everyone complained about the video as blasphemous but no one would DARE, at least publicly, make the obvious comment about what bothered them about it.

Most likely Jesus, if he even lived, was not black but looked very Arabic like our friend there in the picture. For anyone who saw "The Last Temptation of Christ", I think it's a sure bet he looked nothing like lily white Willem Dafoe.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost