[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2011, 01:41 AM

RE: The popular image of Jesus
The face was probably used to make him seem more like the rest of the people of Europe. I've seen ink paintings from Asia where he looks Chinese (or Mongolian or Japanese, or insert various Asian country [it's hard to tell with ink]). His appearance was probably changed to resemble whatever people were being evangelized.
Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2011, 04:47 AM
(04-02-2011 05:14 PM)The Doctor Wrote:  This might interest you all:
The Real Face Of Jesus
Advances in forensic science reveal the most famous face in history.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/...cs/1282186
I like the first one on the bottom. The one where he has no beard. I think no modern christian would recognise him there. Funny. The last one where he is black is intriguing to.
(04-02-2011 05:21 PM)No J. Wrote:  The first known painting that is supposed to be of Jesus comes from Greece in the 5th or 6th century. It depicts a man with Greek features, not Jewish features. That said, it cannot be anymore inaccurate than anything else from the bible.
Do you have a reference of that painting no J. I'd like to google it.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
05-02-2011, 08:25 AM

I'm sorry, I don't know where all these Arab faces are coming form. Jesus was clearly white. It says it in the Bible.

(Sarcasm, though I hope this disclaimer wasn't necessary).
05-02-2011, 10:46 AM
(05-02-2011 08:25 AM)TruthAddict Wrote:  I'm sorry, I don't know where all these Arab faces are coming form. Jesus was clearly white. It says it in the Bible.

(Sarcasm, though I hope this disclaimer wasn't necessary).

Where?

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
06-02-2011, 11:38 PM
(05-02-2011 04:47 AM)The_observer Wrote:  Do you have a reference of that painting no J. I'd like to google it.

Sorry, but I don't. I learned this a number of years ago. There was a four piece documentary tracing what is known, what isn't known and what is false about the biblical stories of jesus. It was a very interesting and enlightening series, but it was never rerun. I think it ruffled a lot of feathers of bird-brained people.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
07-02-2011, 06:26 AM
On a similar vein, since we are all made in god's image, does god have a tail? We all have a tail bone so doesn't stand to reason that god would have a tail? And, if he does not, then were does this intelligently designed tailbone come from?

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
07-02-2011, 12:16 PM

I too often laugh when I see the image of the long haired white hippy Jesus that we find in America today. The guy lived in the middle east, so at very least we know he is brown. The clean clothed hippy Jesus is just another Americanized version. Funny thing, my father-in-law recently got a big portrait of hippy Jesus for his birthday and he just absolutely loved it. Their house has a picture of hippy Jesus in every room and I laugh a little bit each time I see one. They smile and admire the picture as a "great rendition of the Master," and it's all just too funny. It's just a sign of how Christians don't care about accuracy, they just want it to fit their little world view.
08-02-2011, 09:34 AM
I remember reading somewhere recently about how if you look at the art history of it, you'll notice that the popular images of Jesus stem from his depictions from European artists. Which is pretty natural overall, considering how many artists work. But the funny part is that often, depictions of Satan and demons were shown with stereotypical Jewish/Arabic features, which seemed to be a sign of the rampant anti-semitism of certain eras.

Honestly I think much of this is not really any kind of deliberate dishonesty or inaccuracy, just people identifying with their own mental images. As someone else said (forgive me I can't remember who) - if horses had gods they'd look like horses. When Europeans created images of god, he looked European.

I only wish we'd start getting some images of Jesus in an Armani suit sitting atop of capitalistically-earned pile of cash, as some right wing conservatives seem to picture him. Hmmm...

*runs off to the drawing board*

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
08-02-2011, 09:42 AM
There may not have originally been any kind of deliberate dishonesty or inaccuracy originally, but go try pushing the idea that Jesus was Semitic looking and see what reaction you get.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost