The popular image of Jesus

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-02-2011, 09:57 AM
RE: The popular image of Jesus
(08-02-2011 09:42 AM)BnW Wrote:  There may not have originally been any kind of deliberate dishonesty or inaccuracy originally,

Yes, correction - I should have said originally. Unfortunately those depictions are what spread through Europe and America, and thus are what we end up with today. Many are too lazy to look in to it or have become so inundated with the depiction of "white Jesus" that they don't even think about it.

(08-02-2011 09:42 AM)BnW Wrote:  but go try pushing the idea that Jesus was Semitic looking and see what reaction you get.
I wonder about this - it's not really something I've ever brought up with anyone so I've never really seen a reaction. Honestly I'm just as guilty of accepting the image of white Jesus as anyone. It's occurred to me more often to pose the question of what he looked like at all, since there is zero remotely contemporary physical description of him anywhere, but I've never quite had the opportunity to do that either. You'd think that with God Incarnate walking the streets, someone somewhere might have said "you know, he has the prettiest eyes" or something.

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-02-2011, 02:30 PM (This post was last modified: 09-02-2011 03:40 AM by Observer.)
(08-02-2011 09:34 AM)TheSixthGlass Wrote:  I only wish we'd start getting some images of Jesus in an Armani suit sitting atop of capitalistically-earned pile of cash, as some right wing conservatives seem to picture him. Hmmm...

*runs off to the drawing board*
The Rolex... don't forget the Rolex Big Grin

Anyway...
Here in Roman-catholic Europe you only see sad Jesuses, nailed to a cross, face in pain, blood. The most positive image of Jesus you get to see is the holy-heart statue. You know, the one where he opens his arms in a "I catched a fish this big" kind of way.

I am going to try and google that original Greek picture.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
09-02-2011, 02:01 AM
Set a blank canvas on an easel. Name the blank canvas "jesus christ" or "jesus of Nazaeth" or whatever. You now have the most accurate painting of jesus that ever existed.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
09-02-2011, 03:57 AM
I remember a few years back hearing a story about the guy who modeled for the photo that would become the popular image of jesus christ that we see today. I also remember hearing that many years down the road he posed for a painting and became the face of satan. Its a story that I remember hearing but cannot track down the source. Just thought it was interesting.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-02-2011, 04:23 AM
(09-02-2011 03:57 AM)silent_drgn Wrote:  I remember a few years back hearing a story about the guy who modeled for the photo that would become the popular image of jesus christ that we see today. I also remember hearing that many years down the road he posed for a painting and became the face of satan. Its a story that I remember hearing but cannot track down the source. Just thought it was interesting.
/*sceptical/
Hmm... to be honest. that sounds more like some kind of urban legend to me. The message is clear: Jesus and Satan are one and the same person.
/sceptical*/

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
09-02-2011, 02:10 PM (This post was last modified: 09-02-2011 02:14 PM by Observer.)
I found this one...
[Image: christ_patocrator.gif]
Looks familiar?
Wait... That can't be right... He is carrying book. The bible, How can he be charring a bible when he is the one starring in it. Besides... there where no books at that time... only scrolls...
impostor!!!

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist