Poll: Which one (ones) is the strongest ?
This poll is closed.
A. Do something. 42.86% 3 42.86%
B. Do something, if not ... 14.29% 1 14.29%
C. Don't do something, but if you do something ... 14.29% 1 14.29%
D. Don't do something. 0% 0 0%
E. No difference to me. 28.57% 2 28.57%
Total 7 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

The power of words: which way motivates you best ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-05-2013, 07:56 PM
RE: The power of words: which way motivates you best ?
(26-05-2013 08:17 AM)bemore Wrote:  Maybe if would be clearer if you replaced the word something Huh

A. Do (Insert Word/term/action), if so ...
B. Do (Insert Word/term/action), don't (Insert Word/term/action), if not so ...
C. Don't do (Insert Word/term/action), do (Insert Word/term/action) if so ...
D. Don't do (Insert Word/term/action), if not so ...

I cant pick just one nor do I think any of them are more suited as I think I use all of them, it depends on the situation.

In the OP I provided an example what might help.

Want something? Then do something.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-05-2013, 08:08 PM
(26-05-2013 08:20 AM)jthorndyke Wrote:  I don't understand the words!!!
Or the questions...

Or the vote???

OK. My mother always told me "don't forget brushing your teeth, otherwise you will feel the pains when you become toothless because of your bad habits." when I was at home. Did it work every well? Well, you can imagine.

But if it had been rephrased into "don't forget to brush your teeth. Make them clean, and they will last longer which you will find extremely wonderful when you still have you teeth while others don't." I would say "OK mum. But I am no kid anymore. Don't say it in this way again." and did that much more quickly.

When facing obstacles, what you say to yourself works best? "I'd better do it fast, so that I can show my competence or even get unexpectedly rewarded." or "Don't procrastinate, otherwise it is going to be really ugly and messy."

I think it helps if you find it out, and good to see how the majority of people behave.

26-05-2013, 08:14 PM
(26-05-2013 08:04 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Umm...42? Consider

Is it because when you are little, you family often allowed you to make different tries and let you face the consequences, so that you preferentially will appreciate it when others give you alerts?

26-05-2013, 08:22 PM (This post was last modified: 26-05-2013 08:28 PM by Free Thought.)
I pick none of the above.

I am motivated by a strict set of Cost/Effort to Reward assessment system. Unless the Reward is equal to or greater than the combined Cost/Effort by my assessment, I don't do shit.

... I guess those are my words of motivation.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
26-05-2013, 08:49 PM
(26-05-2013 08:22 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  I pick none of the above.

I am motivated by a strict set of Cost/Effort to Reward assessment system. Unless the Reward is equal to or greater than the combined Cost/Effort by my assessment, I don't do shit.

... I guess those are my words of motivation.

No. Basically that's what adults should do rationally. Yet it is irrational to neglect the effects of emotions. In that case, you might have a preference.

26-05-2013, 09:52 PM
Given that I don't respond well to demands, I'd have to say A.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-05-2013, 09:57 PM
I think... I start out doing mostly nothing and do that for as long as I can - 100%, until I have to do something. When I try to put off doing something, it is of course a bummer when nothing gets done. But I'll do that sometimes just to prolong doing nothing.

If the thing to be done is something I am interested in, I'll probably just do it with no hesitation. I'll especially do something if it gets everything out of the way so that I can start doing nothing again. Smile

I'd rather do nothing than something but if I do something, it's all the way. I'm kind of an all or nothing kind of person. No half asses for me. Thumbsup

Except... I didn't vote because I don't know which letter (A. B. C. or D.) that fits.
I'm claiming dumb shit. Blink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
26-05-2013, 10:07 PM
(26-05-2013 08:14 PM)HU.Junyuan Wrote:  
(26-05-2013 08:04 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Umm...42? Consider

Is it because when you are little, you family often allowed you to make different tries and let you face the consequences, so that you preferentially will appreciate it when others give you alerts?

No. That's just my answer. I'd have to know the question first.

Seriously, I think there's just a bit of language barrier going on here. The OP isn't really clear, but I think I understand. I'm just not sober enough to give an insightful answer at the moment.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
26-05-2013, 11:20 PM
I guess if I posted this in the psychology section, it might be a little easier to understand.

If people are pretty motivated and not interested in the little differences in how people can have a slightly better effect both when they are saying something to others or to themselves.

This ought to be interesting, is it?