The president and the motto

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-12-2010, 03:36 PM
The president and the motto
Recently, while delivering an address in Indonesia, President Barack Obama said the following:

Quote:I believe that the history of both America and Indonesia should give us hope. It is a story written into our national mottos. In the United States, our motto is E pluribus unum – out of many, one. Bhinneka Tunggal Ika – unity in diversity. We are two nations, which have traveled different paths. Yet our nations show that hundreds of millions who hold different beliefs can be united in freedom under one flag. And we are now building on that shared humanity – through young people who will study in each other's schools; through the entrepreneurs forging ties that can lead to greater prosperity; and through our embrace of fundamental democratic values and human aspirations.

Note that he said, "In the United States, our motto is E pluribus unum." This is actually a factual statement. Our de facto motto was e pluribus unum from almost the time the country was founded until 1956. That's when Congress ignored the first amendment establishment clause, and made "In God We Trust" the official motto.

But Obama did not say e pluribus unum was the official motto. He simply said it was our motto, which it was and still is one of as it still appears on our money and seals.

Still, the rightwing blogs are lit up calling it a blunder. Prayer groups from both parties are demanding an apology. Really? An apology? As if they were injured? Really?

Looking at the quote, I can't see how any other of our mottos could have worked in the quote, and I don't see how there's any reason to be offended that this one was mentioned.

Any other opinions?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-12-2010, 04:18 PM
RE: The president and the motto
My opinion is that this just proves there are morons on both sides of the aisle.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2010, 12:15 PM

RE: The president and the motto
see once again its the devils fault... if we weren't so scared of the " godless red commie devils" we would have never put god into our pledge or on our money... its always the devils fault... :-) Obama own nobody nothing, except his base supporters that he has disappointed
Quote this message in a reply