The problem I have with getting a job

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-03-2013, 09:27 AM
The problem I have with getting a job
First some info about me: I'm 25 years old, unemployed, live with my parents still and I have a minor case of aspergers.

Now, everyone around me tells me to get a job which I can totally understand. I go to a group that helps find jobs for people with a minor disability like aspergers, a bad back and other disorders. Also my mother she expects me to accept any random job, as long as I'm working it's good, it can be a job I hate but I just have to work according to her. So yea, people expect me to get a job and I would like to have a job but now for the problem.

I graduated in 2007 and I've been doing extra educations (gardening) and did some random temporary jobs (the longest was 6 weeks). The problem I have is I spend the time at home well, I look up things, I learn about science and new discoveries. I know alot about the universe in a big picture like I know how stars are made but I don't know the calculations behind it, I know about gravity but I don't know how to calculate it. I just know the basics of alot of things but that's still better than most people I guess. I also spend a great deal playing games and talking to people. I see games as a separate universe with its own rules and laws where the goals you have are straightforward, the actions you take are without little risk. Games are focused at having fun, the challenges are formed around the skills and stuff happens all the time.

The problem I have with reality is that it's just boring untill you look at the bigger picture, how stuff works and why how much stuff there really is. How complicated this reality is and just the pure luck that we're here, we're alive, we have senses to see, hear, taste and feel our surroundings. If you would see the earth as an alien you would be amazed. I personally have these moments of self-awareness where I'm suddenly amazed by everything, especially when I look in a mirror I can be amazed by my arm, by my brain, by just this living organism that I am. Everything is just so weird if you look at it from a different perspective. So most days I'm just happy to be alive being amazed at everything I see.

But being in this state of self-awareness makes getting a job so unimportant. I did some random jobs including one in a stockroom and it felt just so mind-numbing all the time which is kind of a problem since I studied Office related things in highschool. I didn't go to univeristy because apparently because of my aspergers I have a very little timespan and I have a shitty short term memory. Studying for me was always very difficult and just not fun so the only jobs in my reach are normal everyday jobs but well, it all seems so pointless. Getting a job would basically mean to not be self-aware because who would want to hire someone who loses his focus every time he looks outside. As long as I like the job I wouldn't mind it but I doubt there is a job that is more fun than constant happiness. I know I can't keep on like this, I have an online gf in turkey who studies in university so she can get a good job. Also I have the standard symptoms of aspergers: I prefer to live in my own world, dislike change that directly affects me and talking to people is quite hard for me.

tl;dr having basic knowledge about the universe makes getting a job meaningless for me causing problems for the people around me.

chan chan ki sikin aman
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Crusher's post
21-03-2013, 09:38 AM
RE: The problem I have with getting a job
Man, I feel exactly the same. Although, for me, it isn't just knowing how everything works that makes it like that, it is also my hatred for humanity, and how pointless I think everything is. Tongue I'm a real cheery chap.

I also don't mind change. I just hate people and almost everything they do. Wink

I'll always have the blues to keep me going though... no matter how shitty things get.

[Image: opforum1.png]
21-03-2013, 07:03 PM
I'm in the same situation but I promised my mom that I will learn programming and become a programmer or a web designer. I already have my own website and I earn a bit from it. I disagree that working is good whether you like it or not. It could be really debilitating at some point, with or without aspergers. The best would be to find your passion and try to earn from it. Of course, that requires a bit of ambition. Anyway, good luck!

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." - Benjamin Franklin
[+] 1 user Likes Chaos's post
21-03-2013, 07:14 PM (This post was last modified: 21-03-2013 07:18 PM by Adenosis.)
(21-03-2013 09:27 AM)Crusher Wrote:  The problem I have with reality is that it's just boring untill you look at the bigger picture, how stuff works and why how much stuff there really is. How complicated this reality is and just the pure luck that we're here, we're alive, we have senses to see, hear, taste and feel our surroundings. If you would see the earth as an alien you would be amazed. I personally have these moments of self-awareness where I'm suddenly amazed by everything, especially when I look in a mirror I can be amazed by my arm, by my brain, by just this living organism that I am. Everything is just so weird if you look at it from a different perspective. So most days I'm just happy to be alive being amazed at everything I see...

But being in this state of self-awareness makes getting a job so unimportant. I did some random jobs including one in a stockroom and it felt just so mind-numbing all the time...

tl;dr having basic knowledge about the universe makes getting a job meaningless for me causing problems for the people around me.

A man after my own heart. I love looking at the world in different ways. How things work, what they are made of, how the forces guide molecules, atoms and subatomic particles. The vastness of the universe. It's all so fun to think about.

Then we get snapped out of it when someone yells at us to get a job, which I also understand, but fuck... It's such a waste of time! I'm not going to live forever. I want to spend my time experiencing and learning what I want. I don't want to be stocking shelves and working a cash register 8 hours a day 5 days a week. So purposeless.

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

[+] 1 user Likes Adenosis's post
21-03-2013, 07:25 PM
Yeh, well, hey!..welcome to crappy civilisation Dodgy

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 3 users Like aurora's post
21-03-2013, 11:40 PM
Lemme first pick out some similarities between your present and my past...

(21-03-2013 09:27 AM)Crusher Wrote:  ... have a minor case of aspergers.
... minor disability like aspergers, a bad back and other disorders.
... people expect me to get a job
... did some random temporary jobs
... I also spend a great deal playing games ... I see games as a separate universe with its own rules and laws where the goals you have are straightforward, the actions you take are without little risk.
... The problem I have with reality is that it's just boring untll you look at the bigger picture, how stuff works
... I personally have these moments of self-awareness where I'm suddenly amazed by everything,
... But being in this state of self-awareness makes getting a job so unimportant.
... I did some random jobs including one in a stockroom
... I didn't go to university because apparently because of my aspergers I have a very little timespan and I have a shitty short term memory.
... Studying, for me, was always very difficult
... Also I have the standard symptoms of aspergers: I prefer to live in my own world, dislike change that directly affects me and talking to people is quite hard for me.

Slight difference... not games but puzzles. We only had Pacman in those days. This helped hone my problem-solving skills.

When I worked in the Stockroom (age 20 ish), I got runner-up employee of the year award for clearing a 6-month back-log by simply not going home for a week or two. I just seemed like the logical thing to do. I then had to do loads of purchasing to re-stock and in that process discovered a discrepancy in the software that meant the reconciliation was missing £1,000s every month.
Why do this? 'Cause it bugged me and I just had to fix it.

At 25, I drifted into an IT job which is perfect for an Aspie (there is a barrier between you and real people). IT was a temp job for one week.

11 years later I was running half the department. How? I saw a problem and I learned how to fix it. I could see the bigger picture that others could not and I knuckled down to the detail (almost OCD-like).

I discovered Service Management Best Practices along the way and now I am an Expert in that field and I now teach others.

The hours are great, the salary is awesome, constant travel (actually that gets a bit tedious sometimes) but the chicks... say no more!

It is just a matter of finding your own niche.

So, I'm sorry to say it but your mother is right... try anything and everything that comes along.

Apply your known skills that you have learned from gaming and along the way, pick up the soft skills that allow you to make changes that others don't understand.

Go for quick wins.
Learn how to fake empathy Dodgy
Learn how to charm.

First rule for any new job...
The VIPs are not the CEO, CFO etc.. They are the Secretaries and the Security Guards. These are the people that can open doors for you (literally and figuratively).

Get out there, sunshine. The world is not going to come to you.

Thumbsup

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
22-03-2013, 03:08 AM
What will you do when your parents get old ? Will you support them as they supported you ? A job is a job. It's money in your pocket. Too boring ? Starving isn't boring Wink
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
22-03-2013, 04:12 AM
(22-03-2013 03:08 AM)morondog Wrote:  What will you do when your parents get old ? Will you support them as they supported you ? A job is a job. It's money in your pocket. Too boring ? Starving isn't boring Wink
[Image: e85a26346c_Too-Cool-For-School.jpg]

Or the world. Or other people. Basically, we're the best, everyone else sucks.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
22-03-2013, 05:35 AM
My current situation might be able to offer some advice. I'm currently working at a temp job, it's 9-5, the people are generally pretty good, I'm getting some skills, and I should have this job for a few more months. I'm also taking classes in Environmental Management, and working towards a Master's. However, I've been trying to get a better job, and this hunt has been utterly fruitless.

Only yesterday, I finally said to hell with that. I'm sick of the frustration of getting nowhere with it, and the long hours spent tailoring the resume and writing the cover letter only to hear nothing or hear negative.
I've had an idea stewing in my head for a while now. From my perspective, the environmental movement is often its own worst enemy, in that they don't know how to preach to people outside the choir, as it were. They are some of the best scaremongers, they're very good at presenting the bad and terrible things, but they're terrible at speaking to people affected by various situations, how those people would be affected by change, offering ideas and solutions, and really...speaking to non environmentalists on their terms, and understanding their situations.

Knowing this, just yesterday, I finally decided to hell with my job search outside 2-3 hours a week to make sure I don't miss anything, and I'm turning this idea into something. Eventually I'll make a post in greater detail on this, as this very website was actually a source of inspiration, and once I'm a little more established here, I think this community may be able to offer some help. Smile

Find your interest. Find a missing link. And then, find a way to fill it.

[+] 1 user Likes Wolf Bird's post
22-03-2013, 06:51 AM
(22-03-2013 05:35 AM)Wolf Bird Wrote:  ...
Eventually I'll make a post in greater detail on this, as this very website was actually a source of inspiration, and once I'm a little more established here, I think this community may be able to offer some help. Smile

Appetite whetted. Smile

(22-03-2013 05:35 AM)Wolf Bird Wrote:  Find your interest. Find a missing link. And then, find a way to fill it.

Echo that.