The problem I have with getting a job

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-03-2013, 02:19 PM
RE: The problem I have with getting a job
(21-03-2013 11:40 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Learn how to fake empathy Dodgy

You fake it for long enough, and one day you come to realize you ain't faking it no more. Big Grin

Breathing - it's more art than science.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like GirlyMan's post
23-03-2013, 07:00 PM
That's right, boys. Hide behind your mask of sanity! Dodgy

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 1 user Likes aurora's post
30-03-2013, 12:37 AM
I can understand these feelings, but yeah, the mom's right: you need money to get by. That's just how shit works. If you can't stand being fake-nice around lots of people, look for things that require you to only be fake-nice around a few people. I do a lot of freelance work and I only have to pretend to like people through a computer screen, which is a lot easier for me than doing so in real life. Retail was not for me, but I still forced myself to do it for a couple years because that's what was available and it paid the bills. In college, I was a night security guard and basically did nothing while working.

But looking at the larger picture, try to decide on something you would like to do and reasonably might be able to someday. In the meantime, yes, look for whatever you can get through a temp agency or the classifieds, etc. because even if you don't have to now, eventually you will need to pay your way in life. Or you could buy lottery tickets and hope you win.

Quote:That's right, boys. Hide behind your mask of sanity!
If you don't like people, sometimes this is your only option though.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post
30-03-2013, 01:26 AM
(30-03-2013 12:37 AM)amyb Wrote:  I do a lot of freelance work and I only have to pretend to like people through a computer screen, which is a lot easier for me than doing so in real life.

What kind of freelance work... if you don't mind me asking? Drinking Beverage

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." - Benjamin Franklin
30-03-2013, 02:38 AM
Crusher, I would strongly suggest reading a book called Reality is Broken by Jane McGonigal. She agrees with you that work is counterintuitive to how the average person views worth, but that it can be 'fixed' by making a game of it. She'd an advocate of games of every sort, and her book speaks of them reverently. I'm sure you'd enjoy it, and it may fix your outlook and ability to enjoy work.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
01-04-2013, 03:44 PM
(30-03-2013 01:26 AM)Chaos Wrote:  
(30-03-2013 12:37 AM)amyb Wrote:  I do a lot of freelance work and I only have to pretend to like people through a computer screen, which is a lot easier for me than doing so in real life.

What kind of freelance work... if you don't mind me asking? Drinking Beverage

I translate legal and medical documents from German to English, and I also work as an illustrator and portrait painter. This is all through translation agencies and freelance sites. I should probably also mention that I studied art the first time I went to college, and foreign languages the second time, and the ten years I spent in college here and in Germany will have me in debt forever. =D

But I mean to say there is also stuff there not requiring a degree, such as ghostwriting (if you're good at writing stuff), and so on.

I was convinced I was going to go postal after a few years in retail, though. I don't do well with making small talk with people (which often seems to be expected), and I don't do well with people who are assholes for no reason.
[+] 2 users Like amyb's post
01-04-2013, 06:48 PM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2013 06:59 PM by GirlyMan.)
(01-04-2013 03:44 PM)amyb Wrote:  I translate legal and medical documents from German to English, ...

Not to derail, which of course means I'm doing exactly that, I'm working on integrating highly tuned (which essentially means overfitted) English-Dari statistical machine translation models for both emergency medical care and fingerprint analysis into OmegaT (mainly 'cause it's open source so I can) and am curious which computer assisted translation tools are preferred by professional translators. Do you use something like Trados, Wordfast, or OmegaT in your work? Or do you just freeball it?

01-04-2013, 08:05 PM
I worked as a court interpreter for a spell, and there you can't use anything, it's way too fast. It's all you can do to take things in in one language and spit them out in another almost at the same time. I would sure have appreciated an app (this was before the time of apps anyway) that put out at least a rudimentary translation almost simultaneously to hearing it spoken... translation programs in general suck pretty hard, lol.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
01-04-2013, 11:27 PM
(01-04-2013 08:05 PM)Dom Wrote:  I worked as a court interpreter for a spell, and there you can't use anything, it's way too fast. It's all you can do to take things in in one language and spit them out in another almost at the same time. I would sure have appreciated an app (this was before the time of apps anyway) that put out at least a rudimentary translation almost simultaneously to hearing it spoken... translation programs in general suck pretty hard, lol.

Free balling. Thumbsup

02-04-2013, 05:11 AM
(30-03-2013 02:38 AM)Starcrash Wrote:  Crusher, I would strongly suggest reading a book called Reality is Broken by Jane McGonigal. She agrees with you that work is counterintuitive to how the average person views worth, but that it can be 'fixed' by making a game of it. She'd an advocate of games of every sort, and her book speaks of them reverently. I'm sure you'd enjoy it, and it may fix your outlook and ability to enjoy work.

I've been looking into it today, saw some of her talks and it sounds quite interesting. I might get the book.

chan chan ki sikin aman