The problem of evil/suffering.....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-11-2016, 11:33 PM
RE: The problem of evil/suffering.....
Jokes aside, you all know I'm not a huge fan of Dawkins. I don't dislike the man, either, but I just think there are many more eloquent voices that do not come with the baggage he carries, in terms of how he is viewed by the layperson.

But every time I watch videos like this, I'm reminded that despite the endless accusation that he was belligerent and caustic toward the religious people with whom he debated, it is my observation that he is actually a man of nearly boundless patience, sitting there trying not to explode at the other guy while the other guy acts in a self-righteous and abusive manner, doing everything possible to earn such an explosion from the longsuffering Dr. Dawkins.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
17-11-2016, 06:24 AM
(16-11-2016 11:33 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Jokes aside, you all know I'm not a huge fan of Dawkins. I don't dislike the man, either, but I just think there are many more eloquent voices that do not come with the baggage he carries, in terms of how he is viewed by the layperson.

But every time I watch videos like this, I'm reminded that despite the endless accusation that he was belligerent and caustic toward the religious people with whom he debated, it is my observation that he is actually a man of nearly boundless patience, sitting there trying not to explode at the other guy while the other guy acts in a self-righteous and abusive manner, doing everything possible to earn such an explosion from the longsuffering Dr. Dawkins.

There is that classic moment towards the end where Dawkins calmly tells Pell (who was talking about the Eucharist/communion), that whatever he's saying or blabbing about, the way he's using the English language, is not the way the language is normally used by people who speak it, and that basically what he's saying is devoid of any real meaning. Pell just looks at him, and has no response.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
17-11-2016, 06:58 AM
(16-11-2016 10:24 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(16-11-2016 09:25 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Have you watched the Richard Dawkins/Cardinal Pell debate on youtube? I love what Dawkins had to say on original sin. It actually helped put me on my path to atheism.

One of my favorite debates ... Pell is left as a puddle on the floor. (I hear he's hiding out in Rome these days ... afraid of being charged with something in Australia).

Sir, Cardinal Pell is not hiding in Rome. He just so happened to catch the sniffles while visiting the Vatican of cardinal duties, and can't return to attend the inquest hearings into his direct and indirect involvement in the of raping and torturing many children over several decades as his nose is too runny to risk flying.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
17-11-2016, 07:46 AM
(17-11-2016 06:58 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(16-11-2016 10:24 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  One of my favorite debates ... Pell is left as a puddle on the floor. (I hear he's hiding out in Rome these days ... afraid of being charged with something in Australia).

Sir, Cardinal Pell is not hiding in Rome. He just so happened to catch the sniffles while visiting the Vatican of cardinal duties, and can't return to attend the inquest hearings into his direct and indirect involvement in the of raping and torturing many children over several decades as his nose is too runny to risk flying.

My bad. That *must be* it. Why, how stupid of me. Angel

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post