The problem of faith- an appeal to christians.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-03-2014, 02:53 AM
RE: The problem of faith- an appeal to christians.
(12-03-2014 12:56 AM)donotwant Wrote:  Your beliefs. Because I am tired of theists running away from debates.

What's to debate about MY beliefs?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-03-2014, 02:55 AM
Whos beliefs we should debate somebody elses? Come on Lion there is nothing to fear. People can be wrong about things you are not exception. Let's go.
[+] 1 user Likes donotwant's post
12-03-2014, 02:56 AM
(12-03-2014 02:50 AM)Lion IRC Wrote:  
(12-03-2014 01:02 AM)john2 Wrote:  The bible says it is a sign of your belief. Well what are you waiting for?

The bible doesn't encourage you to drink poison.

It actually does but I'm going to agree to disagree since I don't like going around in circles with people. Btw I'm glad you didn't drink any poison. I guess you used your commonsense? Smile
12-03-2014, 02:58 AM
(12-03-2014 02:53 AM)Lion IRC Wrote:  
(12-03-2014 12:56 AM)donotwant Wrote:  Your beliefs. Because I am tired of theists running away from debates.

What's to debate about MY beliefs?

We will debate the TRUTH of your beliefs. You are interested in truth are you? So am I. Come on lets go.
12-03-2014, 03:06 AM
(12-03-2014 02:58 AM)donotwant Wrote:  
(12-03-2014 02:53 AM)Lion IRC Wrote:  What's to debate about MY beliefs?

We will debate the TRUTH of your beliefs. You are interested in truth are you? So am I. Come on lets go.

Lion can't debate because he has doesn't have any standing- he refuses to do what his bible tells him to do. I am calling you out Lion. Do you do or do you not believe if your faith is strong enough you can heal sick people, lift up snakes and drink poison? The bible is crystal clear.
[+] 1 user Likes john2's post
12-03-2014, 03:13 AM
I'll try to answer that.
If God is real and is what the bible says, then he is perfectly capable of doing all these things (healings, keeping me safe from snakes and poison). With the emphasis on faith, I would personally doubt that I would have faith strong enough for him to have any interest in doing this stuff through me, if that's how it's supposed to work (especially considering my current... well... state). There's also the doctrine of dispensationalism to think about, which would say that God interacts and deals with mankind in different ways at different points in history. One very popular conclusion in regard to this is that miracles and their necessity largely ceased after the resurrection, and the responsibility for spreading the word about Jesus now fell mostly to his believers by word of mouth, and that now God communicates his will primarily through what has already been recorded in the Bible (with the occasional isolated miracle, but this being the rare exception and not the rule).
12-03-2014, 03:18 AM
(12-03-2014 03:13 AM)Charis Wrote:  I'll try to answer that.
If God is real and is what the bible says, then he is perfectly capable of doing all these things (healings, keeping me safe from snakes and poison). With the emphasis on faith, I would personally doubt that I would have faith strong enough for him to have any interest in doing this stuff through me, if that's how it's supposed to work (especially considering my current... well... state). There's also the doctrine of dispensationalism to think about, which would say that God interacts and deals with mankind in different ways at different points in history. One very popular conclusion in regard to this is that miracles and their necessity largely ceased after the resurrection, and the responsibility for spreading the word about Jesus now fell mostly to his believers by word of mouth, and that now God communicates his will primarily through what has already been recorded in the Bible (with the occasional isolated miracle, but this being the rare exception and not the rule).

But again I ask the question if someone really believes in the bible why the doubt? And if you yourself are having doubts (don't take this personally Charis) then how you can set us atheists straight?
12-03-2014, 03:18 AM

If book characters exist they all can do a lot of things.
[+] 1 user Likes donotwant's post
12-03-2014, 03:21 AM

Btw I missed the tail end of your post about miracles of stopping after the resurrection- the verses in Mark are after the resurrection. Don't you find it interesting how the biblical people believed because they saw miracles? They apparently weren't taking things on faith. Why the double standard for us?
12-03-2014, 03:24 AM
(12-03-2014 03:18 AM)john2 Wrote:  

But again I ask the question if someone really believes in the bible why the doubt? And if you yourself are having doubts (don't take this personally Charis) then how you can set us atheists straight?

No offense taken, no worries. Smile

I cannot personally think of setting anyone straight right now, because I am at a crossroads at the moment and don't know which way I'll be going. The only thing I can do is possibly let you know what a christian answer might be to a given question and why, because I have been in it for so long. As far as setting straight? Shoot... I've gotta set myself straight first.