The problem with Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-04-2012, 02:10 AM (This post was last modified: 20-04-2012 02:19 AM by Hoj.)
The problem with Atheism
I know, I've just joined the forum and declared that I'm an atheist in my own topic, now I go an post this?

Fear not! I haven't found Allah over night!

This topic is about the problem with being an atheist. Are you ready?

Quote:Religious folk think we're going to hell.
Not just the Christians, but all of the religious folk out there think we're condemning ourselves to some kind of punishment, hell certainly being the worst. You tell a Christian you're an atheist (especially those who haven't met many) and you're instantly a shocking, evil character.

The problem with atheism is the misunderstanding that it is so closely tied to religion. I'm an atheist, I don't care about any religious beliefs. What's more, is we've reached the enlightenment to know we're not going to hell, we don't just "reject" god, because god isn't there to be rejected. We aren't the ones that know god is real, but refuse to believe in him (what kind of rubbish is that? I've met a lot of religious people that are sure we know god exists, but just don't want to abide by his badass rules).

I'm ranting.

My point is, I hate people thinking if you claim to be an atheist, you're somehow interested in the church. Like, the response you get from a Christian or Muslim depends on how you word your acknowledgement that god isn't real.

John: "I don't believe in god."
Flanders: "Ah, you haven't found God yet? There's still hope!"

John: "I'm an atheist"
Flanders: "You have willing rejected God and thus are going to hell and I hate you. And you are also illogical and have to have faith to be an atheist. And evolution is just an unproven theory. And carbon dating doesn't work. And you've offended me, my beliefs and God."

/rant

God? Laughat
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-04-2012, 02:16 AM
RE: The problem with Atheism
(20-04-2012 02:10 AM)Hoj Wrote:  And you've offended me, my beliefs and god."
That is when you say "I really could not care less".

[Image: opforum1.png]
20-04-2012, 04:28 AM
I can think of a bigger downside than that…

We have to be responsible for ourselves, not being controlled by adult Santa means we can’t lay blame.

The upside is when you do something to be proud of it was you and you alone, no try-line grovelling.

Personally if someone finds my lack of faith disturbing I couldn’t give a toss.

They believe in magic sky narcissist FFS!
I think that turning your back on facts and then bleating on about some old myth like it happened is offensive, but then the PC lot get all uppity if you poke fun at easy targets

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche
20-04-2012, 07:50 AM
I think that the points you have made are exactly why the secular community is focused on education of others on our position, and the destigmatization of the word Atheist. These efforts are not going to make an impact on fundamentalists or people that take up an extreme position, but are aimed more at moderates and liberals in the church. Eventually, we will be able to show the majority that we are not insufferably evil people and opinion will sway. You can compare all this to the gay rights movement and how the American view on that culture has drastically shifted. Will you still have to put up with intolerant, red-neck bigoted jesus freaks? Probably always, but soon they will be a fringe element scoffed at even by others of faith.
[+] 2 users Like arbmouser's post
20-04-2012, 04:19 PM
How do Christians react if someone announces to them that they are..say..Muslim? Do they go ape and tell them they are going to hell too? Personally I've never experienced or seen a devout Christian meet a person from another religion.
20-04-2012, 08:27 PM
Don't worry about adults getting all up in arms. Focus on the youth. As long as the younger generations are cool with atheism (and skepticism, which in my opinion is the more crucial "ism" that atheism is often a byproduct of) we'll be good to go...

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
[+] 2 users Like lightninlives's post
20-04-2012, 10:37 PM
I don't know if this is so much of a theist problem as it is a human problem --- people have a hard time putting themselves in the shoes of their opponents. They care so much about their god that they can't possibly believe that you don't. Of course, some of us atheists actually do care about whether or not there is a god, but I'm fairly certain that we make up the minority.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Starcrash's post
21-04-2012, 08:26 PM
ATHEISM - Wear it proudly.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
21-04-2012, 08:43 PM
(20-04-2012 10:37 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  I don't know if this is so much of a theist problem as it is a human problem --- people have a hard time putting themselves in the shoes of their opponents. They care so much about their god that they can't possibly believe that you don't. Of course, some of us atheists actually do care about whether or not there is a god, but I'm fairly certain that we make up the minority.
I think you hit the nail on the head by mentioning that part of the problem has nothing to do with theism vs. atheism (or any other stance on the god concept). It has to do with knowing how to treat fellow human beings and it can afflict folks on all sides of this particular argument.

I actually had a situation with a particularly nasty Christian apologist today. I wrote about it here and plan on creating a lengthy critique on my YouTube channel because it really hit home for me.

Knowing how to treat fellow human beings is, in a lot of ways, more important than figuring out whether you accept or reject god claims.

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
[+] 2 users Like lightninlives's post
21-04-2012, 09:21 PM
The problem often lies in the way all religions want to own the god concept.

Many atheists want to own the non god concept.

All of the hardliners really hate saying, 'I'm not sure let alone ''I don't know Exclamation"

[+] 2 users Like Mr Woof's post